Question on print film developing

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gaolingfeng

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie here, just got my camera not too long ago and just finished my first roll!!

Some of the shots were rather disappointing. Think I was too impatient and after that realised the composition wasn't very good... oh well...

Ok, on to the question. Sorry for the rambling preamble...

Not knowing very much, I sent my first roll off for developing. There were a few shots where I experimented with over and under exposure but after developing them, they didn't look very much different! Some had differences of up to 2 stops.

So I was wondering if my over and under exposure was compensated for by those guys doing the developing? Do they do that? And if so, what instructions can i give them to avoid this?

If you are talking about prints, yes they will adjust. If it is slide film... no.

Originally posted by Snowcrash
If you are talking about prints, yes they will adjust. If it is slide film... no.
Agreed on that.

For color prints, I'll usually tell the pro-lab to develop un-corrected. For general consumer developing labs, they will usually let their machines do auto-compensate.

Hi Gao, you can tell the shop you do not want any colour adjustment and exposure compensation, that way you get what you originally shoot. In fact shops are more happy because they do not need to adjust picture by picture.

Thanks people!

I don't really know of any prolabs buyt i'll try at the shops.

Hi,
You might also like to know that for print films, they usually have a high exposure latittude which means for parts of the picture which has been over-exposed or under-exposed will still have acceptable levels of detail. So it's less obvious to tell whether a picture has been over-exposured or under-exposed in print film especially within a 1or 2-stop limit.

For slides, it's much less tolerant, so you could tell immediately.

Originally posted by gaolingfeng
Thanks people!

I don't really know of any prolabs buyt i'll try at the shops.

shot more and post here!

BTW, you can scan the negative into a photo CD at $5 now at fotohub/35mm or Colorlab when you develop it with them!

Hi folks I go to a Kodak Pro Lab called 'Instant Digitial Services'. Located at 60 Robinson road opposite lau pa sat.

they have excellent facillities, staff are friendly. I usually develop a roll a week so its great having a pro lab right next to work.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.