Question on lens for taking indoor or wider pictures

ori0n

Jul 10, 2012
TANGLIN HALT
Hi,

I am relatively new to photography. I would like to seek your opinion on what kind of lens should I be looking out for if I need to take indoor photos and have more "wider" pictures so that I can capture items within a photo.

Please kindly advice.

It depends on how big the space is

By the way,what camera are you using?

Hi oriOn,

Your question is kind of vague. But generally, you will need a wide angle lens; if the space is really constrained, you may need an ultra-wide angle lens instead.

Wide angle will be about 24mm (35mm equivalent), so unless you are using a full-frame camera, you will need a lens about 17 or 18mm on the wide side (translates to about 26 to 27mm at 35mm equivalent).

A few examples of such lenses include the Canon 17-55mm, Tamron 17-50mm and Sigma and Nikon should have similar lenses too.

Hi Orion

May we know what subjects you intend to take indoors? Home furnishing/interior decor or Group of people etc

There is no 'indoor lens'. If you need a lens with a wider field of view then look for lenses with a shorter focal length than your current one.
Shooting indoor will require different settings or setup to compensate for the lower light level. Alternatively, use flash.
Please share more details about your subject, your conditions, your camera system and current lens and other details.

TS... how wide do you define wider and capture more in the frame... and which reference are you comparing it from. Are you using a 50mm, a 35mm or 28mm lens and find that these lens are too tight? Or are you comparing it with the 18-XX kit lens and hope to have a wider lens?

You would need to remember that most Ultra wide angle (UWA) lenses had pretty bad distortion when you are shooting up close to your subject... example, it gave your subject (say, a man) a big nose when you shoot too close. Also it make your subject look further than they really is when shooting with UWA lenses. So are you ready to handle those limitation and restriction?