Purchasing a Bag

lolol once I said I'm looking for the fast pack everyone gives the other side. Thanks for the unbiased comments!
Since I'm pretty new with this bag thing, I'm quite easily swayed by the comments so I'm now siding with the Streetwalker. o_O
Still I have the qn, where's the best place I can buy these? I've only frequented TK but they only host ThinkTank. hmm

TK has a wide range of brands for selection, not only Thinktank

Agreed.

Sold my fastback really quick. The ergonomics not good. The whole idea of fast draw to shoot is more of a marketing idea.

The Streetwalker HD is my one of my best bag. I was tempted to buy another one, but will wait for V2 since I already got one.

And its embarrassing to say I probably owned more camera bags than some girls own handbags.

Currently have 8 bags, not including another 5 for tripods and lightstands, and not including 2 belt systems. Used to have more.

There is no one bag that does all.

haha, i have 2 sling and 2 backpacks. different bags for different uses.

really boils down to what you wanna shoot, then choose the bag to go with it.

i don't like to carry tripod bag though, as i want both my hands free to deal with my camera. so i always strap my tripod to my backpack.

to TS, go to TK Foto and choose, see until you confuse, haha. too many choices to look at liao.

If you ever intend to go travelling and etc, the Fastpack 250/350 is still best bet as highly versatile.

For city use, frankly any bag also can. Even those messenger bags with inserts also can.

If you're going for the fastpacks, I would recommend getting the newer all weather video version. The video fastpack 250aw will allow you to attach a tripod, has a built in rain cover and a cable and audio organiser pouch included with it. Also holds a laptop together with other features of the original fastpack.

haha, i have 2 sling and 2 backpacks. different bags for different uses.

really boils down to what you wanna shoot, then choose the bag to go with it.

i don't like to carry tripod bag though, as i want both my hands free to deal with my camera. so i always strap my tripod to my backpack.

to TS, go to TK Foto and choose, see until you confuse, haha. too many choices to look at liao.

The tripod remark is true. Hmm ok, I shall go there one of these days. I think feeling is better than seeing.
@Reportage(nice name!) I mostly choose a street/park, walk randomly and shoot in Singapore. I do travel, but only occasionally(once or twice a year?).

Vanguard uprise series has also good backpack.
I just got 1 from TK foto recently and it serve my well for my Europe trip.

The tripod remark is true. Hmm ok, I shall go there one of these days. I think feeling is better than seeing.
@Reportage(nice name!) I mostly choose a street/park, walk randomly and shoot in Singapore. I do travel, but only occasionally(once or twice a year?).

The reason why i would choose fastpack for overseas is because it is the easiest to zhng so that it does not look like camera pack but rather a daypack or hiking bag. Call it paranoid but i am pretty sure thieves would be the first to recognize "branded" camera bags such as urban disguise or the outlandish designs of Kata bags and etc. Billingham bags especially are a dead giveaway.

Right now, the Vanguard Kinray series is starting to look like what i would replace the fastpack with. It just looks too cheap to be a camera bag. :D

Singapore is relatively a safe place so i would say any bag would do.

Last edited:
icic. Thanks for the tips! Hope my camera can get a new home soon. :)

Just another question, which shop do you think sells bags with the most competitive prices?

megain said:
Just another question, which shop do you think sells bags with the most competitive prices?

Depending on what you buy. Some brands eg. Thinktank, has pretty strict price control and costs pretty much the same at different shops

prices of bags in sg differs in slight amount only. but u can go tk foto, cathay,

myself i have flipside 300 for normal walkaround shoot, streetwalker HD if go overseas with macbook, i have a slingbag that can fit a macbook also if requires shooting in sg and check right after on my laptop the results...

my latest bag is pro runner 450. it looks big, just slightly bigger than 350 but so far i used it quite nice. looks big but not heavy, heavy is ur camera kits like a bro mentioned before. i could put all my kits inside. has a tripod holder n it doesn't feels heavy will all the kits inside as the padding is good n it spreads the weight evenly. just imagine FBO whenever u use it for outings. even after a long walk, it doesn't tire carrying it....have a look at funan. nearly all the shops there has different kind of bags, models and brands. just take ur time scouting around....most of the shops r helpful to entertain u with the bags they carry...

Hiyah when you all get to the point where you are carrying 2-3 lightstands, 1 tripod and several light modifiers to a job, then you will see the value of good lightstand/tripod bags.

Hiyah when you all get to the point where you are carrying 2-3 lightstands, 1 tripod and several light modifiers to a job, then you will see the value of good lightstand/tripod bags.

Luggage bag already. :)

sjackal said:

Not everyone is into such extensive setup.

But of cause if need be, it will be good to have a good bag to contain all your lightstands.

just to share my views. quite a number of us have different bags for various purposes. so u need to see what gear u bring most of the time.

i have a small toploader for 1 lens setup
then i add pouches for 2 or 3 setup

for tripods and more gear such as flashes and accessories i use flipside 400

so u have to see ur style of shooting. i prefer sling if gear is not too heavy as to me it gives me faster access to lenses. but when things are heavy backpack is more comfy.

of course maybe ur first bag u might want get the model that can fit in ur largest setup. at most u have lots of space which is better than no space. also look for one that has a tripod holder which can be handy.

I won't recommend Lowepro due to the lousy shoulder straps and poor back support. U should try kata dr465i or 466i. These bags are considered lightweight and offer better support in terms of weight distribution. If u have more budget then u should think about thinktank.

btw, TK carries a good range of bags and you should be able to compare all the brands mentioned in this thread except billingham.

Interesting... I visited Funan today and compared some bags. I realised those that I'd prefer(slingbag, not too big as I don't have much gear) are unable to fit my tripod(Sirui R1204).
The kinray looks pretty nice but the price tag...not so.
I saw this bag called the Manfrotto Agile V. Anyone heard of it? Looks pretty decent when I was at the shop. o.o
The Vanguard uprise 34 caught my eye too.
It's true, there are just too many to choose from.
Ok I'm thinking of this: Can hold my D3100 + 55-200 with maybe 2 more lenses, can hold an umbrella and a water bottle and is cheaper than $150. Any bag you guys know that fit the bill?

Wait for this weekend PC Show, see if TK has promo for ThinkTank products.