Punggol Sunset

Status
Not open for further replies.

philip827

Aug 17, 2004
upp east coast road
Hello ppl,

May i have some comments on the following picture?Taken with CPL and 4 stop GND.

_DSF0119.jpg

I also have a question. Do you use a circular polarizer for these type of shots? I am rather confused regarding the use of circular polarizer for these scenarios. The polarizer takes away reflection, but many times we want the reflection of the clouds. The polarizer also make the foreground darker, this will cause exposure problems because the dynamic range of the sky and foreground is even more now( i might be wrong here, i judge this from experience).
However, the use of the polarizer enhances the saturation and contrast. Thanks.

regards,
Philip

Any photographers that can give advice on the polarizer question? ;p
I read tutorials from luminous landscape etc but they never mention about shooting with polarizer for sunrise/sunset.
thank you.

Polarisers certainly work when they are used perpendicularly to the sun's direction. That 45 degree segment of sky is darkened. It has no apparent effect when pointed in or away from the direction of the sun. It may act like a ND in these situations. But the best thing is for you to do some simple experiments to confirm all these things and not depend on waht people tell you. For example, you can compare exposure reading with and without polariser with camera pointing towards, away and perpendicular to sun's direction.

thread moved to more appropriate subforum, as it involves discussion of polarizer technique.

I used circular polarised filter combined with GND filter at times...taking multiple exposures will help you select the right exposure if that helps.

:)

Polarizer has little or no effect when used directly at the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.