Prosumer Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

nishakh1301

Sep 8, 2009
East side of Singapore
Any recommendations for a prosumer camera?
This is what I am looking for:
- Great image quality
- Low shutter lag
- Take great picture at night.
- Good image quality even when zoom.

Hope you can guide me.

Most prosumer cams have pretty good image quality if you compare with a compact cam. But the shutter lag will still be there.

I have used Konica Minolta A1, A2, Fujifilm 9600 and Sony R1. They are all very good cameras even though they are not the most current but the results are pretty good. The recent Sony HX1 looks good for its panorama feature. :thumbsup:

Maybe you can let us know what is your budget, what you will be shooting and what are the features you need in the cam.

This question has actually already been asked about 3 times in the last week.

What is your budget? That will already limit the choices. A Prosumer cam with your requirements will already cost as much as an entry-level DSLR camera.

I suggest you look at the reviews on DPReview, as they have recently has a prosumer camera roundup as well.

FYI, all prosumers use a point-and-shoot sized sensor, so the "great image quality" and "Take great picture even at night" will be VERY subjective to your taste, and not be as good as a dslr.

The recent Sony HX1 looks good for its panorama feature. :thumbsup:

The HX1 Twilight feature is nice... Take 6 shots in a quick burst, and stack them for better DR and lower noise. :)

The HX1 Twilight feature is nice... Take 6 shots in a quick burst, and stack them for better DR and lower noise. :)

Yes bro, I'm impressed with this feature but my friend finds the cam too bulky and decided to get the H20 instead.

My budget will be around $1k or lesser.
That's why I am eyeing a prosumer instead of DSLR.
And, I want to learn first before I jump straight to DSLR.

from my experience with Using Canon IXUS60 (PnS) and SX10 (Prosumer) both are able to give me good quality pictures, but at ISO below 400. from 400 onwards, noise is obvious. why? because basically they all use the same small sensor. so for night shots they usually don't perform much better than a PnS, of course being able to adjust the shutter and apperture will help, but it's no where near what a SLR can do at low light.

the only difference (over PnS) is prosumer gives u more control over the camera (shutter, apperture, etc) and usually offer more zoom range (up to 20x).

that said with ur budget u can look at the Canon Powershot range (but warning: once u go prosumer u will WANT a DSLR, at least that's my case now)

disclaimer: i'm speaking from experience from Canon range only

Last edited:
My budget will be around $1k or lesser.
That's why I am eyeing a prosumer instead of DSLR.
And, I want to learn first before I jump straight to DSLR.

You can get a brand new Sony A230 for less than 1K if I recall correctly. There are also some in the Personal Classified section which you can consider. Some going below $600 only. ;)

A basic entry level DSLR cannot offer:

1. Macro

2. Super-zoom

3. Leight weight (no doubt they are getting lighter now)

4. Built-in flash

5. Immunity from the BBB virus

Last edited:
Fujifilm? I have always have this thought that Fujifilm, Casio, Sony are not good for camera.
The ones that can be trusted are Olympus, Canon and Nikon.
Correct me if I am wrong.

It's no longer true; Sony and Fujifilm have improve over the years.

I'm a happy owner of 3 Sony prosumer cameras; F505, H5 and H50. You must of cause not compare the prosumer with the DSLR.

Fujifilm? I have always have this thought that Fujifilm, Casio, Sony are not good for camera.
The ones that can be trusted are Olympus, Canon and Nikon.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Sony Prosumer cameras have always been vey good, ever since the now-ancient V1 and 707 series. I'm guessing you've been listening to salesmen too much?

Olympus has been very bad, and even their new prosumers are :confused:

No, not due to the salesmen. I mean for the consumer camera, from what I noticed, the camera is a bit pricey for its quality.
It's like you paid for the brand.

A basic entry level DSLR cannot offer:

1. Macro

2. Super-zoom

3. Leight weight (no doubt they are getting lighter now)

4. Built-in flash

5. Immunity from the BBB virus

agree totally with you... the prosumer is really a jack of all trades at a fraction of what the DSLR with the same set up can offer. prefect for leisure/casual shooters. but as for the BBB virus, still will suffer sadly, after i got my Canon SX10, went on to buy accessories, like filters, tripod, crumpler bag, raynox-250... the virus is truely widespread

.......but as for the BBB virus, still will suffer sadly, after i got my Canon SX10, went on to buy accessories, like filters, tripod, crumpler bag, raynox-250... the virus is truely widespread

Don't worry - these are very mild infection; not as deadly as the DSLR virus.

can check out the Fujifilm s200EXR.

http://picasaweb.google.com/hardwarezone.com/COMEX2009#5379770247609329346

But with 1k i would seriously recommend entry DSLR already that will cover most aspects you listed

Initially I also thought the same. $1K, might as well I get a DSLR.
Entry level DSLR wouldn't be so difficult to use right? Especially for newbie like me?
Also, which entry level DSLR would you recommend and why?

Thanks.

Initially I also thought the same. $1K, might as well I get a DSLR.
Entry level DSLR wouldn't be so difficult to use right? Especially for newbie like me?
Also, which entry level DSLR would you recommend and why?

Thanks.
FYI, with <=$1k, you can get a DSLR.
I just saw an ad in today's Straits Times of Courts (if I'm not wrong), they are selling Oly E-420 and another brand's DSLR (which I can't remember) also slightly less than $1k. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.