Prosumer Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comex is selling this:

Sony A230L $899 - BODY AND 18-55 lens - Free sony 7" photo frame , 2 X 8gb memory stick pro duo , tripod , screen protector , battery, dry box , carrying case , SDW course

If you purchase the 2 years extended warranty, you will get a 50mm f1.8 lens FREE too.

Camera comes with build in stabiliser so any lens (including 3rd party ones) mounted on the cam will enjoy this feature too.

Last edited:
FYI, with <=$1k, you can get a DSLR.
I just saw an ad in today's Straits Times of Courts (if I'm not wrong), they are selling Oly E-420 and another brand's DSLR (which I can't remember) also slightly less than $1k. ;)

Serious?
But I am not sure whether is it good or not.
Anyway, thanks for your info.

Comex is selling this:

Sony A230L $899 - BODY AND 18-55 lens - Free sony 7" photo frame , 2 X 8gb memory stick pro duo , tripod , screen protector , battery, dry box , carrying case , SDW course

If you purchase the 2 years extended warranty, you will get a 50mm f1.8 lens FREE too.

Camera comes with build in stabiliser so any lens (including 3rd party ones) mounted on the cam will enjoy this feature too.

Wow! That's quite cheap for a DSLR.
Thanks.

I would say in principal using prosumer and dslr is the same. Full auto and manual are available at your disposal. Learn how to see and compose is more important.

If you don't mind secondhand, there's alot of good deals in the BnS forum from all dslr brands < 1k

pardon me for using this thread too, nishakh1301 =/

Im new too and trying to get a prosumer too, instead of a DSLR.

I cannot reach a decision of the panasonic FZ28 and the Olympus 590UZ

both has its pros and cons.

The question i wanna ask the people here is will you guys trade X8 more zoom for
a little bit lesser quality picture? =/

Hi TS,
I dunno whether this would help you or not but as a former "Prosumer-seeker" like you guys, I also feel the dilemma of the questions and the answers you seek. The thing is, you can try asking yourself this questions:

What do i look for in an upgrade for my camera? (Or rather, why do i DISLIKE my current camera?) Am i seeking
  • Image Quality?
  • Compactness?
  • Sleek?
  • Ability to zoom to far distance to catch that fair bird opposite my block ? (or maiden for some).
  • Take pictures at night ( Hate walking around Orchard with a camera but unable to take good pictures?)? Or what?

I have been a user of a few cameras in the past, my first was a Yashica Film camera but i cant even remember the model number.....

My later digi cams were (in chrono order) Sony DSC-P72, Casio Z60, and now a Canon 500D DLSR.

From my limited experience:
  • If you seek sleek, compactness, no hustle to think of "whether i should bring my camera around with all my barang barang", "just wanna find something to slip into your pocket", choose a SLIM point N shoot. I dare claim that Pana and Casio was one of the first to come out with those slim model but others have improved on them since. Sony with their T-series or W-series, Fuji EXR F-series, Casio EX series, Olympus mus all are valid. This list isnt exhaustive but u know what I'm referring to: slimness, classy, and fits in yr pocket. Go get it. ZOOM or IQ doesn't matter.
  • If you want good manual controls to control exposure, aperture, but yet a point-and-shoot, consider the Panasonic Lumix LX3, Canon G-series. These 2 I know are good quality and really worth.
  • However, if all you think about is how to get that perfect angle, image quality, and wish that you can do whatever it takes to get that perfect shot, hesitate no further, DSLR is a good way to go. You get
    • A body that always takes good pictures and last a longer time, and doesn't need upgrading so often like PnS. (Come on...some of you are still using 2003-released Canon 300Ds.... and still taking rocking pictures!)
    • Lens whose quality is always good, hardly any problems of a PnS like chromatic aberations, noisy pictures. Only thing that affects our deciding which lens is our use habits and what we normally shoot. In that case, just sell those lens to some other brothers on CS who might need it more than you! And this is even after YEARS of using the lens, unless it has grown mouldy...

• Come on....who will wanna take 1k and "play play" with it? It doesnt really make sense to buy a PnS that is a "practice" dummy to the DSLR but yet NOT a DSLR. There's hardly any resale value if you go this route after a few years. At least for DSLR if u give up, u still can sell for much lesser loss. Ok ok ok, if you really wanna get, try the FujiFilm S200EXR which is close to what you are asking: like DSLR, got manual controls, good IQ and high dynamic range, SUPER LONG ZOOM blah blah. Seems to promise the world in their quite thick brochure. But read some -ve reviews from 3rd party sources about it in terms of IQ and noise, so..... Its still too new yet unless more reviews come out though.
Just my 2cents. I thought I share this since I also when though this same thought process as you just 2 weeks ago, so the memory's still fresh. Maybe you should start asking yourself what reasons are stirring you up to upgrade so we can recommend you what to buy.

pardon me for using this thread too, nishakh1301 =/

Im new too and trying to get a prosumer too, instead of a DSLR.

I cannot reach a decision of the panasonic FZ28 and the Olympus 590UZ

both has its pros and cons.

The question i wanna ask the people here is will you guys trade X8 more zoom for
a little bit lesser quality picture? =/

If you shoot a lot of wild life e.g. birds and animals then go for the Olympus, otherwise the FZ28 IQ is better.

Actually at that price point, its good to look out for second hand G1 if you can do without video. This i think is really the new breed of prosumer or bridge camera.

Got to think carefully if you embark on DSLR or Four Thirds; the road ahead can be costly.

IMHO, if you are still unsure after reading so many posts, I would suggest you get a 2nd hand Prosumer to try 1st. At least, you get to play with the controls. If you like fiddling with them, DSLR will be your eventual route. If not, PnS then. You don't waste much $$$ with regard to getting a 2nd hand set. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.