Pros/cons of upgrading from D90 to D700?

never expect there are 2 wild dogs here.:eek:

whenever the BBB hits me or when I think having more & the latest hardware makes me a better shooter, I will look at this thread:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711715

Look at what he uses for his shoots.

I see most of his shoots was done with Oly E620 & ED 9-18mm SG Lens & ED 14-42mm Kit Lens

:thumbsup:

I see most of his shoots was done with Oly E620 & ED 9-18mm SG Lens & ED 14-42mm Kit Lens

:thumbsup:

yup and the e-pl1 at the later series.....with kit lenses.:bigeyes:

This doesn't make sense. If someone can shoot better photos than you with just a Canon Power Shoot compact camera, that means you can't buy a DSLR forever?
If Michael Shumacher can drive a China Cherry QQ faster than you, you can't buy any expensive car. Is that what you mean?
Skill and camera are separate things. The camera functions are already there and fix, but your skills can improve anytime. It's you who learn and improve to fully utilize the camera functions.

whenever the BBB hits me or when I think having more & the latest hardware makes me a better shooter, I will look at this thread:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711715

Look at what he uses for his shoots.

Skills are important, so is the equipment. Equipment will give you an edge in honing your skills. Both complement each other. :bsmilie:

This doesn't make sense. If someone can shoot better photos than you with just a Canon Power Shoot compact camera, that means you can't buy a DSLR forever?
If Michael Shumacher can drive a China Cherry QQ faster than you, you can't buy any expensive car. Is that what you mean?
Skill and camera are separate things. The camera functions are already there and fix, but your skills can improve anytime. It's you who learn and improve to fully utilize the camera functions.

of cos it makes sense...:)
Of cos, one can splurge on semi-pro and pro dslrs even if one is a beginner or a hobbyist. who's gonna stop you if you have the moolah to spend??:bsmilie:

All I am saying is that as amateur/hobbyist, it's better to improve and honing your skills before upgrading or buying say, trinity lenses.
Like what you have said, most of the functions are already there in entry-level/mid-level dslrs.
One can still shoot beautiful pics with an entry-level dslr. It's not what you have but the person behind the viewfinder really matters.
ok, I think I have started the OT unintentionally. Perhaps its time to go back to TS query.
:bsmilie:;p:bsmilie:

Oklar, I just got my driving license. It's better for me to buy a China Cherry QQ first to improve my driving skills before upgrading to buy a Mazda 6 right? Did anyone of you do the same too?
Considering cars are much more expensive than camera gears, and depreciate faster than camera gears, how come I seldom see Cherry QQ on the road? Are all Singaporeans a driving pro?
For camera gears, as long as you have great passion to learn and shoot always, it's nothing wrong to invest in a good camera body and lenses. If you buy an entry-level camera and lenses, when you upgrade, you have to sell in a loss, sometimes it's big loss. So it's also good if you buy straight the camera gears you desire, provided that you always utilize it instead of keeping it at home.
Although one can shoot good photos with entry-level camera, give a pro Oly EP1 and D700, he still shoot better photo with a D700. Reason is simple, D700 is better than Oly EP1, I believe nobody will argue that, I'm not talking about who is behind the camera, just the camera itself.
of cos it makes sense...:)
Of cos, one can splurge on semi-pro and pro dslrs even if one is a beginner or a hobbyist. who's gonna stop you if you have the moolah to spend??:bsmilie:

All I am saying is that as amateur/hobbyist, it's better to improve and honing your skills before upgrading or buying say, trinity lenses.
Like what you have said, most of the functions are already there in entry-level/mid-level dslrs.
One can still shoot beautiful pics with an entry-level dslr. It's not what you have but the person behind the viewfinder really matters.
ok, I think I have started the OT unintentionally. Perhaps its time to go back to TS query.
:bsmilie:;p:bsmilie:

to each his own ba....back to the topic :D

driving a Ferrari does not make one a Schumacher or a Alonso.
Have fun with your D700, pro!!

Last edited:
Guys lets stop the fight. Peace people!

We all share the common interest of photography and each have their opinions. There is no right or wrong other than your own beliefs. Everyone have their flaws and we need to compromise to one another.

Lets help our poor TS by stating the pros and cons and not going OT further. Fights can be done on your own private thread.

;)

in my own opinion:

TS, to me, d700 will be a gd upgrade if u got the $$ for it. the ergonomics r different compared to d90, in fact, i feel it's more "pro". IQ will also be better, why not? furthermore, if d700 will take ur skills a step further, then ur choice to upgrade will be justified.

however, i agree with some ppl. get the FX lenses first before upgrading to FX bodies. as u notice, if ur pocket only allows u to purchase a FX body, wad gd will it do when u dun haf FX lenses but only DX lenses? r u gonna shoot on DX crop on a FX body? that's so not worth it. but, if ur pocket allows u to purchase a d700 + 24-70 f/2.8 combo at the same time, then go for it.

now my thoughts on this matter:

true it's the person behind the camera tat matters, but haf u guys considered... people do outgrow the camera bodies they were using. people will get "sian" of using the old body. furthermore, technology advances. it's like having a handphone. look at iphone. every year come out newer version, n it seems to be better as it goes. there r ppl wif mindsets like "phone onli use to call and send msg, why get such high-tech phone?" n "wa new features.. i want!" so let's put this in camera terms. for example i got a d60. now got d7000. i'll go "waaaa new technology.. iso so clean, 3200 machiam like my iso 400.. " so r u gonna tell me, stick to d60, man behind camera matters more? if that's the case, shld i wait until god-knows-wad camera come out, n yet i still refuse to upgrade coz of wad u said? the good part is, u save the money, but the bad part is, u will be pretty stagnant. the camera limits ur skills as well. i feel this applies to those with only entry-level bodies. for those who already have pro bodies, staying at wad u r using right now can be a gd choice, but can also be a bad choice. newer bodies haf better specs, n they shld enable u to take better photos than u were alr taking. if u feel the older body limits u in takin certain photos, why not upgrade?

then again, if u ask me to upgrade, then every 1-2 years, i will post the similar qns again. then i will keep upgrading. the bad part is, u waste quite alot of money in this process. the good part? like i mentioned earlier, if the older body limits u in ur skills, then it's better to upgrade since u got the money

there's no right and wrong in this situation. u can be a total newbie, but if u got the spending power on spending on the camera u like, it's not wrong for the newbie. u can also be a pro, but if ur spending power is low, then it's not wrong to stick with a lower end body as well. it all boils down to how much money u got in ur pocket, and whether or not u feel the money is fully justified in spending on a higher end body than wad u haf right now. being a pro/noob doesnt matter, it's all bout ur pocket. like wad bornwild4 said, buy wad u like. u got the money, go for it. if not, then dun.

sorry for my lengthy post and cheers

Last edited:
yah, just go with ur heart....
I was so happy with my D700 that I took alot more photos, became more involve in photography thus I became a better photographer.

Yes agreed. I enjoy photography with my D700 much more than my previous D90. I can say I've become a photog addict after upgrading to D700. I almost shoot everyday now.
Sometimes you don't know when you never try; once you have tried, you will never look back. This happened for my case though.

Anyone can buy whatever gear they please. Nothing wrong with that.

But do know that quality of pictures (not IQ) is not that much correlated with what gear the photographer uses. That is where skills, technical execution, artistic sense and creativity comes in.

Having nice gear is not a sin. As long as you enjoy it, it is fine. But do not delude yourself that having nice gear will automatically make your pictures nice. Just like how having an awesome brush is not going to make you a great artist automatically.

Let's get back to ts's queries please.

Yes agreed. I enjoy photography with my D700 much more than my previous D90. I can say I've become a photog addict after upgrading to D700. I almost shoot everyday now.
Sometimes you don't know when you never try; once you have tried, you will never look back. This happened for my case though.

I buy DSLR is already so much better than my old PNS.
So, I already happy to what I had.

I did not buy DSLR to earn money.
So why those ppl everytime claims use good camera but photos suckz.
I think., this is the only forum like it to be this way.

I always tot, photography is a joy.
But I guess, this is worng forum.

You and me had the same idea.
I also had a lot of friends who are very very old in using films to DSLR.
Infact, whatever I buy... they are happy for me and even proud to have more kakis.

Unlike this forum, only prefer good photos.
To me, gears and the person using it is totally different, if have a skillz, than good for you.

Whatever my words are, for sure this is what I feel..
Why..? coz I had those gears and there is nothing wrong to tell what I feel if someone ask for opinion.

There is nothing to do with “PHOTOS” when someone is asking about the equipment.
Firstly, those comments, did they owned the equipments and use to input their comments.
If so, than just share the idea..

These does not related about how suckz is your photos

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TroyP
look more pro, can xian xmm better

dammed, and I thot EVIL and LOMO is the thing to get ...
must revise my upgrade path again ... ;p

Guys lets stop the fight. Peace people!

Lets help our poor TS by stating the pros and cons and not going OT further. Fights can be done on your own private thread.

;)

Like the TS MIA from this thread alr.... :bsmilie:

Looks like we have scared him, as speaking in his thread like in the War Zone :bsmilie:

Peace everyone !

Merry Christmas !

if one has the $$, one should get the best fotographic gears one can afford.

thus, when one with all the fanciful gears still did not manage to take any decent photos, then he/she knows where the problem lies.

no further excuses, i think. :bsmilie:

keep practising and look at quality photos. try n try again. do not forget about the foundation of photography and keep them in mind.

think, frame, compose then shoot.

try not to have the habit of 'shoot first then talk' trigger happy mindset. spend sometime to look through a scene etc. before you press the shutter.

enjoy photography and buying gears are an important part of it. :bsmilie: