Pros/cons of upgrading from D90 to D700?

When I first started with a D80 4 years ago... I was a noob... the camera functions overwhelmed me... well, it took me 2 years to get better at handling the D80.

Not that I have mastered the D80, but after that 2 years, I thought it was time to move on.

Like the other replies in the thread, the D700 is a faster car, that reacts faster and better in low light and at "spinning" the lenses.

The first time I used the D700 was during a wedding shoot where the higher ISO allows me to shoot faster with lesser noise and with a faster lens. It is a luxury as it allows more room for "error" but does not make your picture better if your composition is not good. Like a rich friend once said, put all your money into buying the most expensive gear and the only variable that the picture does not work is yourself.

The faster car allows more versatile and greater speed on the field. If that's where you are most of the time, then perhaps a faster car is what you need.

But if you are dabbling into studio lighting, then the D90 definitely suffice, just find the right lens to go with it. Lighting gears then take a more important role.

is always getting a better FX lens FIRST
to wait for a better body :bsmilie:

Just buy if you want to buy.
Don't listen too must to those unrelated comments.
Those like to talk too much is worthless.

Talk like pro and but end up it is worst than a sh*t. :think:

:bigeyes:

Anyway, the best equipment won't necessary make you a good photographer. Basic skills and fundamentals are essential, so is creativity. However, the high end equipment are expensively priced for a reason. They are very solidly built with better and tough materials, engineered with precision and they can endure greater abuse (by professionals). The mechanisms of also much more reliable, e.g. D700 shutter can go up to 150,000 and D3s up to 300,000.

The feel of the camera. The shutter piak piak. The big viewfinder.

Big camera.

Frankly speaking, I don't like the shutter sound piak piak piak.

Too much noise for infant photography ...

Sad, & pathetic. When asked for useful suggestions, sharing of ideas/experiences or even constructive comments/criticisms, some people can only come up with one word "buy". Reflects the loneliness, emptiness & poverty up there even if always trying so hard to show a fat wallet somewhere & never ever getting anywhere nor the message anyway in mindless meaningless & ultimately futile pursuits centered on ego boosting :)

Last edited:
...by the sound of it you do not need D700 as you yourself said D90 is serving you well in your model shoots, ISO performance is not an issue as you don't push that in studio, maybe its the image thing you are after to impress your models? Then a D2x might be more impressive as its a pro body hahaha....? Its between the price of D90 and D300s second hand price..

I'm considering upgrading my camera body from D90 to D700, but need to convince myself it's going to be worth it.
Can anyone think of more major points to add to the list?
Pros:
  • 51 focal points
  • better quality images? (but is it really noticable on the web?)
  • can bracket 7(?) exposures at a time
    [*] look more pro, can xian xmm better

Cons:
  • $2000 upgrade
  • 9 focal points
  • Can only bracket 3 exposures at a time

Wittty witty, naughty naughty & fully agree. Ha ha good enough reason to upgrade :)

Dog start to bark again

So, if u are not a good driver... U cannot buy BMW or any good car?
If u driving skill suckz, must my QQ???

What a fool/bullshit idea is that..

Last edited:
The sound of the shutter of D700 & D3 series... Hear already very high. Hahaha... :bsmilie:

Frankly speaking, I don't like the shutter sound piak piak piak.

Too much noise for infant photography ...

I second this! I love the shutter! Sounds more cushiony than my previous D90. ;)

:bsmilie:

the people who usually say that have a lot of gear, and very little good photos that they can be proud of. :thumbsup:

Dog start to bark again

So, if u are not a good driver... U cannot buy BMW or any good car?
If u driving skill suckz, must my QQ???

What a fool/bullshit idea is that..

of course good drivers can buy whatever they want, bad drivers can buy whatever they want.

but if a bad driver buys a good car thinking that it will help his driving, then he is going to be very sad in the long run.......

and if a bad driver buy a good car already, but still has sucky driving... and then goes around telling other people who advise wannabe car buyers that they should buy based on the features they might use... because they can... then it is hard to avoid suspecting that the bad driver has serious self-confidence issues. :)

btw, better not post too much here, wait you end up talking too much, so good to stop here before you end up being "worse than sh*t" in your own words. :bsmilie:

If you can take the additional weight of a bigger and more solid gun, why not?
For me, weight is a primary criteria in choosing a dslr as I usually use it as a walkabout cam in my travels/trips. I dont want a cannon slung around my neck weighing me down for 10hrs on the road.
If you are using your cam just for portraiture/ then yes, by all means getting a magnum :bsmilie:

I'm happy with my D7000 and Oly e620 as compared to my D300. Dont rely too much on paper specs. It's what your eyes can see that matters.

In other words for TS, don't have too much thinking.

If you have allocated the budget for it, have already tried and liked the D700...then just upgrade lor.

As each individual here has their own reason whether using DX or FX, so other people shouldn't influence your own decision.

2 cents ...

In other words for TS, don't have too much thinking.

If you have allocated the budget for it, have already tried and liked the D700...then just upgrade lor.

As each individual here has their own reason whether using DX or FX, so other people shouldn't influence your own decision.

2 cents ...

Agee. The issue is not about BBB virus, understand we are all guys, passionate about our hobbies & we are of course free to spend our $$$ on what we like, but its the 3Bs - Buy & Buy + Bankrupt in ideas & skills + Boasting & Bragging.

Just a simple illustration. If someone seek your advice (obviously you are credible, knowledgable, respected) to buy a Toyota for him & his family & this guy come along talking not about Toyota or other viable/preferable alternatives taking into consideration the seeker's $ situation/background & purpose/objectives, but goes on rambling in not too subtle indirect ways about how great/beautiful/fantastic the mercedes/bmws/ferraris he has all on display in pics for you (or about to buy or aiming to buy) when he doesnt even have a driving licence or cant even drive in a straight line & a 12 year old can drive much much better :):):) What you think or feel, this is a braggart, a fool, a "si peh boh liau" type??? Having thousand $$$ cam & not even able to take a simple properly exposed picture is one thing, trying to justify it, even brag about it & shut others up when others point it out (like name calling others as dogs)??? And just because someone doesn't have thousands of postings or thousand $$$ equipments on show here, he think is a pushover. He may think he is Napoleon, but I am his Waterloo. Nothing wrong with being rich, nothing wrong with being dumb, nothing wrong with owning expensive stuffs but pardon me, I hope I dont get to meet too many such rich dumb arrogant braggarts around here :) .

This's just my opinion, no vindictiveness intended.

P.S. Think i better dont say some more here, thread may get closed to TS detriment :)

Last edited:
I'm considering upgrading my camera body from D90 to D700, but need to convince myself it's going to be worth it.

Can anyone think of more major points to add to the list?

Pros:
  • 51 focal points
  • better quality images? (but is it really noticable on the web?)
  • can bracket 7(?) exposures at a time

Cons:
  • $2000 upgrade
  • 9 focal points
  • Can only bracket 3 exposures at a time

I have both the D90 and D700... I use both of them during my shoots.

yes, D700 has 51 pts (but i only use 1).
yes, D700 has 9 shots bracketing. (but i only use 3)
yes, D700 is heavier.
yes, FX lens are more ex.
however that doesnt mean that i would sell my D700 anytime soon.

Somehow, this forum has 2 school of thoughts -
1. BBB, 2. Skill more important than Equipment.

Personally, if you have some spare cash and willing to throw some cash into this hobby - Just get the D700 and the Trinity Lens.

imho, the number of AF point is probably useless for most of us non-sports shooter... a good widely spread out 11points is much better

whenever the BBB hits me or when I think having more & the latest hardware makes me a better shooter, I will look at this thread:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711715

Look at what he uses for his shoots.

Really thank you for sharing this, share the same sentiments. Beautiful & Photog truly inspiring & only with basic Oly... :embrass: But tripping a little over to OT I think :)

Last edited: