Problems with current batch of Olympus cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an incident when a fully charged battery started blinking empty after fifty shots. I removed and reinserted the batt and it shows up as full. This was yesterday.

This was with or without the HLD-4 battery grip?

Without the grip. I've not collected mine yet. Original battery from the box as well.

It happened to me with and without the HLD-4. That was pretty irritating because I missed some shots.

It happened to me with and without the HLD-4. That was pretty irritating because I missed some shots.

so now even the E3 have this problem... ;(
thought it was only the grip.

i will try by using a fully recharged batt without grip.

The rate of reliability issues with the E-3 surfacing amongst even members of this forum is alarming...

As for the sudden-battery-low problem, I'm thanking my lucky stars I haven't experienced it before. I have been able to shoot the usual 400-600 shots per battery (even on my Ebay-bought 3rd-party BLM-1) on my E-3 since mid-Nov when I got it. Didn't try on the HLD-4, didn't bother. But unfortunately, there's still that lurking IS going bonkers issue in my E-3's body...

The rate of reliability issues with the E-3 surfacing amongst even members of this forum is alarming...

As for the sudden-battery-low problem, I'm thanking my lucky stars I haven't experienced it before. I have been able to shoot the usual 400-600 shots per battery (even on my Ebay-bought 3rd-party BLM-1) on my E-3 since mid-Nov when I got it. Didn't try on the HLD-4, didn't bother. But unfortunately, there's still that lurking IS going bonkers issue in my E-3's body...

Just to note, that the battery issue only happened to me once on one of my E-3s. (I am using two E-3s at the moment)... The one that was made later (born in November) had some problems. The earlier one (born in mid October) had no problems whatsoever... :dunno:

My only beef so far is the HLD-4, thankfully.

I don't use IS much.

Just to note, that the battery issue only happened to me once on one of my E-3s. (I am using two E-3s at the moment)... The one that was made later (born in November) had some problems. The earlier one (born in mid October) had no problems whatsoever... :dunno:

1/2 = 50% chance of getting a unit with issues? :dunno:

Time to buy lottery.

Mine's about the same ratio 2/4 = 50%.
1 E-330 with sensor/logic board problems from birth.
1 E-330 replacement unit that was rock steady for about 6-7 months.
1 E-510 that was just fine for 6 months. So far no further feedback from its new owner.
1 E-3 that displayed a rash IS failure 2 months into usage but it now OK.

Hmm, how big's the Chinese New Year S'pore Pools main prize this time?

HLD-4 seems to indicate "No Batt" when there are still juice remaining in the batteries.

I was using HLD-4 with 2xBLM1 when the whole cam stop with a red No Batt symbol on the preview screen.

But when I took out the individual batt and used them singly, I could still continue to use them for about 100~200 shots each - with IS on and no Live View used - before they are finally and truly flat.

BIG PROBLEM: Hit the shutter and the whole camera goes dead! To revive it I have to take out the battery and put it back again. Then when I hit the shutter again it died. BIG PROBLEM! Enough to ask for refund I think ....

First I've seen this thread...you didn't specify which model or how long you've owned it...if you just bought it return it to the store and ask to have it exchanged; it should be the store's responsibility if they sold you a dud (and it's a reasonable amount of time, say two weeks).

If it's an E-3 and you're trying to run it with the grip on AAs, try running it on one or two BLM-1s instead.

Hi, I have read somewhere about some oly 50mm not being able to be detected by Olympus Master Software.
How was it "not being able to be detected"?
I use olympus master 2.04 and from main menu -> camera -> camera version information.
However, it does not mention which component of the camera, it just show me the number 1, 2, 3 and the firmwire version so I do not know which one is which.
This is confusing.

Update..
To me this is serious enough warranting a visit to Oly Support. So I went and visit them. Their Olympus Master is version 2.03 and it is not having this problem, the list goes first row: Camera, v1.x, next row: Lense v1.x etc.
They tried updating to v2.0.4 but it was so slow, and there are no technician working on saturday. I left my name and number, and left.
This is the problem you refering to:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251526

I indeed had an issue with the lens. After service, my lens is recognized by the same software and also works much better.

NEW PROBLEMS TO REPORT.

1. Spot metering. BIG PROBLEM. I don't want to say what it is. I want you guys to confirm it for me.

2. Shutter firing on multiple when set to single shot mode.

I think the cause of these two problems are software bugs. I think the software was developed from scratch and not thoroughly tested - I think marketeers shoved the cam out of the door despite the engineers' protests.

Expect more to come - have detected or suspected some more but not confirmed yet.

NEW PROBLEMS TO REPORT.

1. Spot metering. BIG PROBLEM. I don't want to say what it is. I want you guys to confirm it for me.

2. Shutter firing on multiple when set to single shot mode.

I think the cause of these two problems are software bugs. I think the software was developed from scratch and not thoroughly tested - I think marketeers shoved the cam out of the door despite the engineers' protests.

Expect more to come - have detected or suspected some more but not confirmed yet.
espion, can you elaborate what is the BIG PROBLEM you experienced with regard to spot metering? I do not encounter the problem you mention in # 2.

espion, can you elaborate what is the BIG PROBLEM you experienced with regard to spot metering? I do not encounter the problem you mention in # 2.
Go try/test it - if you no problem then maybe mine is a papaya. But if so then the test set at Oly service centre is also a papaya.

PS: Oly svc centre said s/w patch of HLD-4 in 2 weeks time.

PPS: Oly oso repaired my autofocus prob with E500 FOC: replacement of some IC in the cam.

Go try/test it - if you no problem then maybe mine is a papaya. But if so then the test set at Oly service centre is also a papaya.

PS: Oly svc centre said s/w patch of HLD-4 in 2 weeks time.

PPS: Oly oso repaired my autofocus prob with E500 FOC: replacement of some IC in the cam.
Pardon me for being ignorance but I can't seems to find what is the problem with spot metering on E-3 :dunno:. Maybe you can shed some light on it?

mine is with battery grip. When I pressed the shutter button on the battery grip to take portrait shots, it doesn't work. And it happened when I was taking wedding.....:angry:
in the end, I took out the battery grip...

why...seeing all those problems, didnt Olympus did a thorough test....:angry:

mine is with battery grip. When I pressed the shutter button on the battery grip to take portrait shots, it doesn't work. And it happened when I was taking wedding.....:angry:

Did you un-lock the grip? ;p

Cos with 40D and D300 coming out, people stuck with E300 and E1 may lose patience and jump ship, for which I know a few who did. And there must be some reason why Oly didnt deliver a set to dpreview for review ...

The E-1 was very stable for a v1.0 product, except for the rare camera freeze with certain CF cards (probably card problem anyway).

Its a little disappointing to see all these issues with the E-3 considering they took so many years to develop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.