Problems with current batch of Olympus cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

microcosm

Sep 17, 2006
This is NOT an Olympus bashing thread. So, there will be no tolerance for anyone who posts "So you see, you are better off using (another brand)..." but more of a thread where users can share their findings and also help would be buyers be made aware that there are problems with the current cameras and lenses and accessories.

Keeping this thread open also helps Olympus (if they are coming in here to read) to know that the user base are facing this issue and with a healthy feedback in place, they can push for a faster firmware update/solution to the problem that will help the community as a whole.

Once again, flame baits be warned, this is an informative thread, not one to discuss what is better than what...

Current known issues with the E-3:

- HLD-4 grip works well with BLM-1s, but NOT with the AA battery adapter. Even fresh alkaline batteries are not powering up the camera. This is definitely a hardware bug that needs to be fixed. In the worse case, a factory recall *(unlikely).

- EC20 NOT working well with E-3 body. (in some cases, EC14 users complained of the same problems). Far objects cannot focus well and cause problems. Likely a data communication problem between the EC20 (and EC14) with the E-3.

- After the latest firmware update, EC20 is definitely not working well with 90-250mm. Thankfully not that many users of this monster lens.

(please kindly post your findings for discussions)

not really sure if this is a bug, but there a couple of times when I was in the live view and switch it off, the camera just hang, I think it happen twice to me, what I did is I have to turn it off and on again. So far since it happen it never happen again. How about the other E3 user here, did you experience this?

not really sure if this is a bug, but there a couple of times when I was in the live view and switch it off, the camera just hang, I think it happen twice to me, what I did is I have to turn it off and on again. So far since it happen it never happen again. How about the other E3 user here, did you experience this?

It happened to me once, about Live View switching and the camera freeze. But it never happened again. I am not sure how this happened as I am not able to replicate the same problem again and I use Live View a lot in photojournalistic work.

Anyone else experiencing this? NatureTTL? You should be using Live View quite a lot for your macro work right?

This is NOT an Olympus bashing thread. So, there will be no tolerance for anyone who posts "So you see, you are better off using (another brand)..." but more of a thread where users can share their findings and also help would be buyers be made aware that there are problems with the current cameras and lenses and accessories.

Keeping this thread open also helps Olympus (if they are coming in here to read) to know that the user base are facing this issue and with a healthy feedback in place, they can push for a faster firmware update/solution to the problem that will help the community as a whole.

Once again, flame baits be warned, this is an informative thread, not one to discuss what is better than what...
:thumbsup:

Yikes! I have EC14. Gotta try this with my E-3.

from All About The Olympus E-510 Thread.

[vid]_2z0bsbfyIE[/vid]

video shows: desired exposure set to get the detail in lamp -> used 7x enlargement, detail blown out (i.e. impossible to MF) -> used 10x, same thing -> back to 7x, same thing -> back to normal view, and it's correctly exposed again.

I just got my grip and tested it with AA batteries, it really has some problem with the AA batteries, I just managed to take 1 shot and boom! it's low batt, then I tested the AA batteries if it is really low batt on my flash, but they are definetly fresh and full loaded. Is olympus doing something about this? I know it's a minor issue but I would really like to have my grip capable of holding AA batteries especialy when I'm travelling this will be very helpful in case of emergency.

I asked the lady on olympus if they had fixed this issue, she only replied to me that no one had reported this issue to them, so I just told ok I'll just test it myself and report back to them.

I just got my grip and tested it with AA batteries, it really has some problem with the AA batteries, I just managed to take 1 shot and boom! it's low batt, then I tested the AA batteries if it is really low batt on my flash, but they are definetly fresh and full loaded. Is olympus doing something about this? I know it's a minor issue but I would really like to have my grip capable of holding AA batteries especialy when I'm travelling this will be very helpful in case of emergency.

I asked the lady on olympus if they had fixed this issue, she only replied to me that no one had reported this issue to them, so I just told ok I'll just test it myself and report back to them.

No one reported? You are kidding me. I believe drakon did, so did I call Olympus to tell them. :think:

Did you call the service centre?

My impression is that there is some communication barrier between the SG head office and the service centre, i.e. the left hand ain't got no idea what the right hand is doing.

Nope I didnt call the service center, I just asked the girl from the sg head office in high street when I collected my grip, what did olympus replied to this issue? Is it a firmware change or worst a hardware problem?

Nope I didnt call the service center, I just asked the girl from the sg head office in high street when I collected my grip, what did olympus replied to this issue? Is it a firmware change or worst a hardware problem?

The High Street office is the service centre. The head office is at River Valley.

As far as I know, there's no reply from Japan yet.

BIG PROBLEM: Hit the shutter and the whole camera goes dead! To revive it I have to take out the battery and put it back again. Then when I hit the shutter again it died. BIG PROBLEM! Enough to ask for refund I think ....

Did you call the service centre?

My impression is that there is some communication barrier between the SG head office and the service centre, i.e. the left hand ain't got no idea what the right hand is doing.

This is sad... in real life left and right hand have to work together. Right doing the work and left holding the tis... never mind... an old army joke... right SGT?

BIG PROBLEM: Hit the shutter and the whole camera goes dead! To revive it I have to take out the battery and put it back again. Then when I hit the shutter again it died. BIG PROBLEM! Enough to ask for refund I think ....

People get lemons, but yours is a grapefruit. Call Oly and give them a little "loving". :bheart:

BIG PROBLEM is that E3 works only with original Olympus BLM-1. I was using a third part BLM-1 which had worked well with the E500 previously.

As for the HLD4, mine doesn't seems to have a problem with AA batteries. Worked fine, at least for the first tens of shots.

BIG PROBLEM is that E3 works only with original Olympus BLM-1. I was using a third part BLM-1 which had worked well with the E500 previously.

Maybe your 3rd party battery is about to kapoot? My no-name-brand 3rd party BLM-1 clone I got from Ebay works fine till depletion (about 400-600 shots worth of 'juice') with my E-3. I have been using that battery for about half a year now, previously with my E-510.

As for the HLD4, mine doesn't seems to have a problem with AA batteries. Worked fine, at least for the first tens of shots.

The EastGear batts work fine with my E-3.

Your E-3 may have some anti-chiong device installed? ;p

The EastGear batts work fine with my E-3.

Your E-3 may have some anti-chiong device installed? ;p

This one must be a new firmware!

Status
Not open for further replies.