Problem w free Notebook from Starhub

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove thru' one of the heaviest rain in my life on Fri to collect this notebook at the ultra ulu warehouse at Penjuru Lane. It ain't like a nice shopping experience! Fortunately, the queue wasn't long at all, likely due to the rain.

Back home, started to play with it. Connect charger and power up. Connect mouse into usb port - recognised device, but could not work at all, when it could have been plug and play. Tried thumb-drive - same thing no-go.

Next thing - NO Recovery Disk - you got to make a set yourself - such a terrible cost cutting measure! I tried to burn the DVD, but didn't seem to work.

Then, the web connection - detected 3 signals from my neighbours. I plugged in mine from the "fat green pipe". OK, this one worked at least.

Another thing - don't seem to be able to adjust the screen brightness at all with the function keys. And by the way, there ain't any instruction manual at all, not even a soft copy in CD.

Well, overall, I think this ain't a good bargain after all.:thumbsd: :thumbsd: I would think twice next time for any freebies.....

And anyone else got the same problem? I guess the HP helpline would be flooded with calls.

I got the notebook last friday as well. Have been meddling with it for the past few days.
You can adjust the screen brightness using the hotkeys. Fn+F7 / F8 I think.
The system is fine considering it's discounted since I paid 500+ bucks for it. (Upgrade Opt 2 + 3 years warranty + 512mb ram)

There are complains (http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?t=1478459&page=133&pp=15)about it not being centrino but Broadcom wireless LAN is fine with me.

My frustration is with HP's service. I had an error making the recovery DVDs which I am unable to burn another as the software limits to one set only. HP tech support gave screwed up advice asking me to format my HDD and try burning again. It doesn't WORK... (WTF, using me as guinea pig).

Anyway I made my complaint to HP, and I'm still waiting for their response.

simple.....

Starhub needs a freebie so it sources around. Viola HP offers best price and product looks alright hence Starhub takes the deal. As for customers, it is after all a freebie... so nothing to complain about. Because it is a freebie, it works well, good for you. It does not? Just your luck......... that is why called freebie.

I got the notebook last friday as well. Have been meddling with it for the past few days.
You can adjust the screen brightness using the hotkeys. Fn+F7 / F8 I think.
The system is fine considering it's discounted since I paid 500+ bucks for it. (Upgrade Opt 2 + 3 years warranty + 512mb ram)

There are complains (http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?t=1478459&page=133&pp=15)about it not being centrino but Broadcom wireless LAN is fine with me.

My frustration is with HP's service. I had an error making the recovery DVDs which I am unable to burn another as the software limits to one set only. HP tech support gave screwed up advice asking me to format my HDD and try burning again. It doesn't WORK... (WTF, using me as guinea pig).

Anyway I made my complaint to HP, and I'm still waiting for their response.
Seems that burning DVD is a problem for many using this NB.

My NB is still in the HP hospital, they are still trying to replace the motherboard becos of the USB not functioning. I must loge a complaint and demand for a replacement, as it takes far too long to repair a brand new product. The turn round time is supposed to be 2 days, but it is now 5 days liao.

I guess this is a matter of f**king a** luck in getting a faulty set. I am trying to make a lot of noise and hope to get a 1-2-1 replacement.

simple.....

Starhub needs a freebie so it sources around. Viola HP offers best price and product looks alright hence Starhub takes the deal. As for customers, it is after all a freebie... so nothing to complain about. Because it is a freebie, it works well, good for you. It does not? Just your luck......... that is why called freebie.

This is not the first time Starhub got such offers. They have done it in previous years. By having such a large order and distribute direct from a warehouse, and with a limited range of entry-level product, we can expect at least it cost 30% less than buying from the regular channels.

smallaparture:
For laptop, we can control the brightness by software provided by your laptop manufacturer..Er..but I hate these software...Damn slow and use much system resource..

OT alittle bit..sorry

THEY HAVE WAYYYYYYY TOO MANY SOFTWARE PREINSTALLED INTO IT!!!!!!!

I cant agree with you anymore. I found that they preinstall so many software that I never ever get chance to know what the hell they are. My laptop no manual ( no reason from the sellers) and I am lazy to read so I uninstall all...Results, ..need to reinstall whole OS again..

Haiz..now lazy to solve this problem in laptop

Click here. Fill up the complaint form. Pour out whatever sh*t you have, at the end remember to tick "Do you wish to be contacted by HP regarding this issue?". And I believe HP will contact you within one week.

HP customer service really SUCKS. :thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd: Have very bad experience with HP customer service regarding my HP product, not the freebie from Starhub but from my own pocket money. By the way, heard that their customer service is actually sub contract to a third party, the people are not from HP.

smallaparture:
For laptop, we can control the brightness by software provided by your laptop manufacturer..Er..but I hate these software...Damn slow and use much system resource..

OT alittle bit..sorry

I cant agree with you anymore. I found that they preinstall so many software that I never ever get chance to know what the hell they are. My laptop no manual ( no reason from the sellers) and I am lazy to read so I uninstall all...Results, ..need to reinstall whole OS again..

Haiz..now lazy to solve this problem in laptop

hee hee, but i did have a short duration of fun playing some of those demo games in it.:bsmilie:

however, it was still irritating.;( and there were two particular itemes that cannot be removed. the sonicmpegencoder and sonicac3encoder. some error message came out, then they dissappear from the list. but when i closed and opened add/remove programs again, they still persist. in the end, i used the microsoft cleanup tool to remove those two things.

to save time for my next format, what i did was that i find every single uninstall program for each application(mostly games by oberon). then i created a folder and threw in the shortcuts for each of the uninstallation programs. so next time, when i want to uninstall these pre-installed progs, i just hightlight everything in the folder, and press enter. though it is so bloody troublesome to do that, i guess there isn't any other shorter way.;(

Click here. Fill up the complaint form. Pour out whatever sh*t you have, at the end remember to tick "Do you wish to be contacted by HP regarding this issue?". And I believe HP will contact you within one week.

HP customer service really SUCKS. :thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd: Have very bad experience with HP customer service regarding my HP product, not the freebie from Starhub but from my own pocket money. By the way, heard that their customer service is actually sub contract to a third party, the people are not from HP.

I made my complaint on Monday and they reverted by email almost immediately. But it's all nonsense saying they regretted any inconvenience and so. No appropriate solution offered. The lady in the email states that I can reply for more details which I did. Till then there's no more reply.

The tech support is outsourced to a company in India. When you call, they route you to India... (nice hor, call IDD for free... ;p ).

HP used to be very good in customer service. :think:

Got my replacement V3136 on Valentine day. Now, everything works as expected.

In terms of speed, pretty acceptable for me. However, the battery life seems to be like 3hrs or so based on my estimate. Maybe, I will go and get a bigger battery. Anyone know where to get and how much?

BTW, driving past Penjuru Lane yesterday, saw people walking out with the NB..... after sooo long!

I live just 5 mins away from Penjuru Lane... that considers me a very ulu person... Heeee... sorry for the OT.

I live just 5 mins away from Penjuru Lane... that considers me a very ulu person... Heeee... sorry for the OT.
Hey Bro Hazmee, OT is de rigeur here in Kopitiam and most welcomed. No serious topic here in KPT.

Teban Gardens is a nice place, with a great view of the Pandan Resv leh. :thumbsup:

Hey Bro Hazmee, OT is de rigeur here in Kopitiam and most welcomed. No serious topic here in KPT.

Teban Gardens is a nice place, with a great view of the Pandan Resv leh. :thumbsup:

yeah. take me as a good example.

free????????? if u think its free, that means u have been misled by all the advertisements arleady.

u pay $60 / mth for it, tats the installment for ur notebook =_="

for a computer with not even a bootup disk and with so many screw ups, u think its cheap?

And I suppose your broadband is free? ;p

Essentially it IS free, you don't have to pay more for it every month, unlike SingNET which charges a higher fee making you pay installment for the item. SH free promos are just that, cause you don't pay any more than you would if you were to sign up for the same plan, promo or not.

And I suppose your broadband is free? ;p

Essentially it IS free, you don't have to pay more for it every month, unlike SingNET which charges a higher fee making you pay installment for the item. SH free promos are just that, cause you don't pay any more than you would if you were to sign up for the same plan, promo or not.

yeah. me too think it is free. just part of their marketing budget.

but you can argue that we pay for their marketing budget, though i rather think that we pay to the company, which then divides the revenue into different areas, like research, customer service, marketing, etc.

lol but its cheap lahz 500 - 600....

aiya freebi cannot complain lah

i like pacnet services, that y i am with them for donkey years liaoz :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.