Problem of face becoming too "white" when using flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

wee_wei

Feb 19, 2006
I have the above problem when I use my e500 built in flash in dimly lit places. The faces are, most of the time very whitish when the photo is taken. Any guys can help on this?

move further from the object?? point the flash away from the object?? :confused:

You can try controlling the flash manually.
Try setting the flash to 1/64, 1/16, 1/4 and as such...rather than using the Auto Flash mode.

doubliewkay said:
You can try controlling the flash manually.
Try setting the flash to 1/64, 1/16, 1/4 and as such...rather than using the Auto Flash mode.

BTW where can we set the flash Mode to 1/64 , 1/16? Shutter?

Nopez, flash compensation. press the flash popup button again once the flash is up to access the menu.

set WB to flash, it helps to get the face a little reddish

wee_wei said:
I have the above problem when I use my e500 built in flash in dimly lit places. The faces are, most of the time very whitish when the photo is taken. Any guys can help on this?

move further from the object?? point the flash away from the object?? :confused:
wee_wei, I think most of the things people say here might help, but I suspect you have done something with your settings that makes the camera overexpose. My recomendation is that you check all your settings, compare them with the factory settings (it is in your advanced manual) and reset everything. If you still have a problem, I suggest you contact Oly service. The built in flash works excellent in Auto mode, near of far (to limit) no overexposure or red eye. Use the AF assist for the tests. I think it would be interesting to see an example to make a more proper judgment.

Going manual is not a good solution if you don't have to. It is only for occasions when you can keep the same settings. It is getting too complicated if your subjects (or you) are moving around, changing distance, formation and maybe environment. For example you take a picture of two persons dressed dark, than comes a third into the middle dressed all white. You may need to take test pictures in that case, which will irritate the subjects. Remember, you actually payed for the auto flash mode, so it has to work.

can post the photo ?

bounce the flash if you can

While i would strongly recomend the use of an external flash (FL-36 for light users + LSPJ II would be great), you might be limited to budget constrains.
If time and oppotunity permits, try using flash/exposure bracket with raw files. Then you might be able to select the ideal exposure for your settings. Some skills in PS is needed. blending of the photos with the correct exposure.

sorry my bad.. didnt see it was built in flash.

thats the problem with built in flashes.. very direct and harsh... as someone mentioned above, all you can really do is adjust exposure compensation...

personally, i rather try and work without built in flash... and up ISO/ use max aperture.

Sorry to say wee_wei, and I hope I am not hurting anybody, but everybody seems to have missed the point. Yes, external flash is better, yes you could adjust things manually, yes you could do things in Paintshop pro or other imaging SW, but the point is:

YOU HAVE A BRAND NEW CAMERA, WITH BUILT IN FLASH THAT SUPPOSED TO WORK IN AUTO FALSH MODE ALSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And if it doesn't, than something is wrong with the camera or the built in flash. So, unless you have changed some settings you don't remember, it is time for the repairman to have a look. It is good that the E-500 has so many settings you can change manually, but you should not have to limit the functions to Manual mode. No matter what other people say. I also use two external flashes, but that is nothing you carry around and set up at friends or parties. On the other hand, you have a built in flash. It may not be as good as FL36 or FL50, but it is a very good built in flash and it still has to work alone also. I tell you, it is not like most other cameras built in flashes, no problem using it direct, like most other cameras, specially if that is the only one you have or you don't want to show off with a big and ugly thing on top of your camera. Call Oly direct and talk to them. I am 100% they will be very kind to answer, and if they are not far from you, probably you can pay them a visit and show the problem. I am definitly 100% they will not say "...use external flash..." or "...go to manual flash mode..." or something like that. If something is wrong, they will confirm that. They may ask you to test things, just to be able to decide if it is camera or flash error, but that's not the same as "Well, mate you have to live with it, built in flashes are no good." Too bad if something wrong with your camera, but it is better to have a word with them and give it away for a few days or weeks than to live with an error.

BTW, did you read about my problem with 14-45mm lens elsewhere here on CS? That describes my experience of Oly support. :thumbsup:

Olympus Singapore has a very nice bunch of folks who will be glad to help you if you have a problem with your camera. There are technicians on site at the Olympus showroom/service centre at Hill Street. If you have read your manual and tried resetting everything and still the flash is not working as it should be, then its time to pay them a visit and let them have a look at your camera.

While you are at it, I highly recommend that you try out the lenses in the showcase... the lady at the counter, if she is not busy with a customer, will be more than happy to take them out to let you have a play with it... holding a 150mm Super High Grade lens in your hands is quite an experience.

Good luck with the flash issue.

OlyFlyer said:
Sorry to say wee_wei, and I hope I am not hurting anybody, but everybody seems to have missed the point. Yes, external flash is better, yes you could adjust things manually, yes you could do things in Paintshop pro or other imaging SW, but the point is:

YOU HAVE A BRAND NEW CAMERA, WITH BUILT IN FLASH THAT SUPPOSED TO WORK IN AUTO FALSH MODE ALSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And if it doesn't, than something is wrong with the camera or the built in flash. So, unless you have changed some settings you don't remember, it is time for the repairman to have a look. It is good that the E-500 has so many settings you can change manually, but you should not have to limit the functions to Manual mode. No matter what other people say. I also use two external flashes, but that is nothing you carry around and set up at friends or parties. On the other hand, you have a built in flash. It may not be as good as FL36 or FL50, but it is a very good built in flash and it still has to work alone also. I tell you, it is not like most other cameras built in flashes, no problem using it direct, like most other cameras, specially if that is the only one you have or you don't want to show off with a big and ugly thing on top of your camera. Call Oly direct and talk to them. I am 100% they will be very kind to answer, and if they are not far from you, probably you can pay them a visit and show the problem. I am definitly 100% they will not say "...use external flash..." or "...go to manual flash mode..." or something like that. If something is wrong, they will confirm that. They may ask you to test things, just to be able to decide if it is camera or flash error, but that's not the same as "Well, mate you have to live with it, built in flashes are no good." Too bad if something wrong with your camera, but it is better to have a word with them and give it away for a few days or weeks than to live with an error.

BTW, did you read about my problem with 14-45mm lens elsewhere here on CS? That describes my experience of Oly support. :thumbsup:

thank! i will check on the setting of my camera.. currently, it's still with my friend in the states. will check when I get it back next week. I did set the setting according to http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/e500-sett.html

plastic said:
Olympus Singapore has a very nice bunch of folks who will be glad to help you if you have a problem with your camera. There are technicians on site at the Olympus showroom/service centre at Hill Street. If you have read your manual and tried resetting everything and still the flash is not working as it should be, then its time to pay them a visit and let them have a look at your camera.

While you are at it, I highly recommend that you try out the lenses in the showcase... the lady at the counter, if she is not busy with a customer, will be more than happy to take them out to let you have a play with it... holding a 150mm Super High Grade lens in your hands is quite an experience.

Good luck with the flash issue.

will pay them a visit if I have the time =0) , now busy working after my trip...

wee_wei said:

Plse check the camera is in Spot or ESP mode. It makes a great difference when it's in Spot mode. If you're pointing something very dark the face will be wash out. It the face is the subject of you picture (don't care about background), point at the face and you'll get very nice skin tone on the face.

puny said:
Plse check the camera is in Spot or ESP mode. It makes a great difference when it's in Spot mode. If you're pointing something very dark the face will be wash out. It the face is the subject of you picture (don't care about background), point at the face and you'll get very nice skin tone on the face.

okok... i will check, thanks!

wee_wei said:
thank! i will check on the setting of my camera.. currently, it's still with my friend in the states. will check when I get it back next week. I did set the setting according to http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/e500-sett.html
I think you should use factory default to start with. Not something somebody else uses on his/her tests. Wrotniak seems to be a very knowledgable guy, but the camera has to work as it came out of the factory. I used my built in flash latest last night, all in Auto, and I tell you, skin color is absolutly amazingly beautiful. Yes, hard and direct lighting, black and dark shadows, that can not be fixed without external flash. But using Auto, distance about 3 meters, 14-45mm zoom, face filling the picture gave perfect colors. Autoflash is working up to its working range without problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.