sunset and beach pics?

hoping to get some recommendations

;)

Originally posted by ThePractise
just wondering which print film or color slide is good for
sunset and beach pics?

;)

For sunset pics, I would choose to go with print film, for the following reasons:

1. Exposure can be difficult to accurately measure when shooting due to quickly changing lighting conditions. Using print film means your printer can correct exposure for you if you get it wrong.

2. Wider latitude of print film. Sunset pics are usually high contrast and slide film may not be able to capture all the detail in shadow + light areas.

Can't really recommend coz I haven't touched print film in 2 years...

For beach pics. Well, depends on subject I suppose. Tanned skin, Provia. Not so tanned skin, Velvia.

Originally posted by Lennier

For sunset pics, I would choose to go with print film, for the following reasons:

1. Exposure can be difficult to accurately measure when shooting due to quickly changing lighting conditions. Using print film means your printer can correct exposure for you if you get it wrong.

2. Wider latitude of print film. Sunset pics are usually high contrast and slide film may not be able to capture all the detail in shadow + light areas.

Can't really recommend coz I haven't touched print film in 2 years...

For beach pics. Well, depends on subject I suppose. Tanned skin, Provia. Not so tanned skin, Velvia.

2 is only true if you are looking at the neg itself. Prints have a much narrower latitude so the extra latitude will be sacrified is you make it into a print. The extra latitude will still be handy due to reason 1 you stated.

The slide is better in the sense that you can easily get fantastic colours.

Originally posted by ThePractise
just wondering which print film or color slide is good for
sunset and beach pics?

;)

(1) the film you are most familiar with is the best.
(2) failing that, Provia 100F; it has been discussed elsewhere, but provia 100f apparently has better shadow detail in scans than even Velvia.

Heres a shot of a sunset where I didn't even use an ND grad. Provia 100F is fine:

10811.jpg

and if tripodasia doesn't load, mirrored here: http://www.photosig.com/viewphoto.php?id=51177

Status
Not open for further replies.