Prime Wide or Zoom Wide Angle for travel photog on a budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slaam

Aug 29, 2004
West
naturespies.blogspot.com
Going on a trip to UK .. plan to get a wide angle for my canon DSLR..
anyone got a fav lens to recommend for someone on a shoestring budget?

Tamron 17-50 f2.8, if really cannot fork out 600 dollars, get the 18-55 IS kit lens.

oops forgot to mention i got the 18-50mm IS kit lens already... so looking for something wider but i guess i prob wont get to use that WA very often so considering going prime... is that a mistake?

All Canon primes are EF lenses, a 20mm prime becomes a 32mm moderate wide angle on your cropped sensor body. The widest is a 14mm Fisheye which will become a 22mm wide angle with curved image. Sigma 10-22 goes widest for DX. Decent lens but not for a shoestring :) If it's just for a trip try to rent the lens. Contacts to be found in services section.

Last edited:
All Canon primes are EF lenses, a 20mm prime becomes a 32mm moderate wide angle on your cropped sensor body. The widest is a 14mm Fisheye which will become a 22mm wide angle with curved image. Sigma 10-22 goes widest for DX. Decent lens but not for a shoestring :) If it's just for a trip try to rent the lens. Contacts to be found in services section.

I just did some calculations. If it's a short trip, say, 5 days, renting might still be a good idea. But if its gonna be a 2 weeks trip, might be a better idea to buy it and try selling it second hand after that. You probably can save more. ;)

Actually, the widest rectilinear lens on Canon's range is the EF 14mm f/2.8L II, that costs 3.2k.

The fisheye is a 15mm, intended for full-frame use. On a 1.6x crop you will see very minimal distortions. It will be there, but diminished.

Sigma has a 10-20mm f/4-5.6 (not 10-22, that's the original Canon EF-S) that retails for $890. Again, like Octarine said, not exactly good if you're on a tight budget.

I won't even consider the original Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, as its price goes into the 1k range already.

However, an option to consider is the Tokina 12-24mm f/4. Solid build and constant f/4 throughout the focal range makes it a very handy lens. Do note that 2mm on the wide end is an extreme difference, so if you can save up, and you need the extreme wideness, go for either the Canon or Sigma 10-something mm variants.

Sigma has a 10-20mm f/4-5.6 (not 10-22, that's the original Canon EF-S) that retails for $890. Again, like Octarine said, not exactly good if you're on a tight budget.

you can get a better price for grey sets. :) just to note.

anyways - personally i feel that an ultrawide is good for most of the uk - when it's a city, you have the right sort of space to employ the use of one.. when it's a landscape area.. well then it doesn't get any better than ultrawides.

of course you might need the use of a normal/telephoto lens. why not bring a variety - so that your travel images will not turn out looking similar perspective, etc.. :) i would think a 10-20, a 17-50 f/2.8 and a 50-200 will pretty much allow you to do quite a bit of stuff.. :)

I won't even consider the original Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, as its price goes into the 1k range already.

Just checked with Cathay yesterday. Apparently the Canon 10-22 is also affected by the price drop. Now it's $930 bucks only. Price includes GST. ;) Even so, it's still expensive compared to the Tokina.

Just checked with Cathay yesterday. Apparently the Canon 10-22 is also affected by the price drop. Now it's $930 bucks only. Price includes GST. ;) Even so, it's still expensive compared to the Tokina.

Check for 2nd hand Sigma. Got mine also here in the forum. The 2mm difference it the long end doesn't matter much because most kit lenses start there with the widest aperture.

I just did some calculations. If it's a short trip, say, 5 days, renting might still be a good idea. But if its gonna be a 2 weeks trip, might be a better idea to buy it and try selling it second hand after that. You probably can save more. ;)

Agreed... not worth to rent for long trip...
Maybe u can try to buy one 2nd hand on CS B&S?

Actually, the widest rectilinear lens on Canon's range is the EF 14mm f/2.8L II, that costs 3.2k.

The fisheye is a 15mm, intended for full-frame use. On a 1.6x crop you will see very minimal distortions. It will be there, but diminished.

However, an option to consider is the Tokina 12-24mm f/4. Solid build and constant f/4 throughout the focal range makes it a very handy lens. Do note that 2mm on the wide end is an extreme difference, so if you can save up, and you need the extreme wideness, go for either the Canon or Sigma 10-something mm variants.

How about getting Nikon 10.5 Fish-Eye with an adaptor? I like this lens because it is very small and compact. Wish Canon has a wide fish-eye like this.
Any idea where to get the Pelang 8mm fish-eye?
And I'm back to the original qn... prime or wide angle zoom?
Wonder if the zoom on the wide side will be useful... my other zoom lens already covers from 17mm onwards so I only need the focal length less than 17mm.

TS.... are you looking for -

Wide : 28mm - 24mm
or
Ultra Wide : 16mm

If you are using a crop camera..... any lens with a wide of 17-18 mm would already give you around 28mm at it widest..... 24mm equivalent still haven't see any :sweat:

But if you are looking for a 16mm equivalent..... then you are limited to Sigma 10-20mm f4 or Tamron 11-18mm f4.5-5.6 for both Canon & Nikon mount. These 2 will be cheaper than either Canon's or Nikon's own Ultra Wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.