Prayer

decennia

Sep 12, 2008
Singapore, Serangoon
Took this photograph at home when there was some prayer going on.

4386903216_f5d10aa326.jpg

Please give your inputs on the following :

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?

Composition, Lighting and details brought out.

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?

Trying out BW photography. Wanted to invoke a sense of tradition.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

As stated, i took this picture at home at about midnight.

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.

The image seems ok to me, although i think i shouldnt have used a flash. Kinda made some parts of the image look over exposed. Not too sure about composition though.

Thanks in advance for any critique.

Sorry, this photo does not work for me. First of all, there is not a clear subject, there's too much clutter. Naturally there will be overexposed parts, due to the highly reflective surfaces. What you could do is try to diffuse the flash or indirect lighting. Experiment more angles and you could find interesting views.

bro can provide image link ? for some strange reason i cannot see the image

TS, i guess before you look at other aspect of photography such as lighting, you might want to focus on composition. For this picture, you might want to ask yourself how you compose the picture through the viewfinder and why you choose to use this composition. There is clearly nothing in sight that captures the attention or is pleasing to the human eyes. Isolation of your subject so that there is a distinctive focus point and with much fewer distracting elements would be worth trying in the future.

As for ligthing, there is nothing to comment except that it looks rather flat. For black and white (in the absence of color), contrast and shadows are important elements to give the picture depth and realism.