megaweb

Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
East
megaweb.clubsnap.org
Post your best World of Nature photos for year 2008

The Rules and Guidelines are very simple:-
  1. Each member can post up to 2 photos daily
  2. No Critique or Comment will be allowed and will be deleted without notice.
  3. Posting size should be less than 700 pixels at maximum width and less than 100-120KB in size
  4. Include a Title and Description for your images. Additional EXIF data is optional.
  5. Images must be taken between January 1st and December 31st, 2008.
Read here if you are not sure how to post the photos here

Hodgson's Hawk Cuckoo, a rare winter visitor to our shore during the winter migrating season. I was lucky to have the chance to encouter this one perching at eye-level. This is my first encounter with this species since I started birding around 4 yrs ago. Here is a shot I like and my lifer in 2008.

dsc_5319c.jpg

Nikon D80, Tamron 200mm-500mm lens @ 500mm focus lenght, 1.4x TC, Focus Mode: AF-C, AF-Focus Mode: Dynamic, Aperture: f/8, Shutter speed: 1/60s, Exposure Mode: Aperture Prioxity, Exposure Comp: +3 EV, Metering: Matrix, ISO 400, Flash Sync: Front Curtain, Flash Exposure Comp: -3 EV

Hooded Pitta - a winter migrant to our little island. Usually likes feeding on the forest grounds and will go into hiding once spooked. But I had the opportunity over a few weekends to learn of its feeding routines and how approachable it can be. On the last saturday before Xmas 2008, I had already taken lots of images during the day but had wished for a picture of the Hooded Pitta with a super smooth background instead of the usual messy background.

Then all of a sudden, there was this ray of late afternoon sunlight shining through the forest canopies and hitting on a perch which I had hoped for.

And there it was ! The Hooded Pitta hopped onto the perch I had pre-focused on with the full glory of golden lighting and a smooth background. Which is rather hard to get for this species :D

From an initial ISO 1250 , I was able to go all the way down to ISO 200 :cool:

Presenting among the thousands of shots of the Hooded Pitta, a very nice Xmas present for my collection.

Nikon D300, 600mm F4, 1.4X TC , F8, ISO 200, 1/15s, +0.3 EV , SB800 @ GN=2.8M Slow Rear Curtain, Matrix Metering

Resized_DSC6251.jpg

this was taken under a rainy day. The eagle had difficulty catching any prey and had few failed attempts because of the ripples most probably.

This is a terrapin.

ISO 800,500mm, D200, 1/1000th, F6.3, AF-C, Handheld.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Hodgson's Hawk Cuckoo, a rare winter visitor to our shore during the winter migrating season. I was lucky to have the chance to encouter this one perching at eye-level. This is my first encounter with this species since I started birding around 4 yrs ago. Here is a shot I like and my lifer in 2008.

dsc_5319c.jpg

Nikon D80, Tamron 200mm-500mm lens @ 500mm focus lenght, 1.4x TC, Focus Mode: AF-C, AF-Focus Mode: Dynamic, Aperture: f/8, Shutter speed: 1/60s, Exposure Mode: Aperture Prioxity, Exposure Comp: +3 EV, Metering: Matrix, ISO 400, Flash Sync: Front Curtain, Flash Exposure Comp: -3 EV

Cool photo!:thumbsup: