Possible to get free servicing on new prime lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wong1979

Aug 16, 2005
I just bought a 35mm F2 lens. But after comparing to a 24-105L, both set at F4.0, I find that the 24-105L beats it in terms of contrast and resolution by quite a lot even though 24-105L is at wide open. Is it possible to bring it down to CSC and ask for free calibration or maybe even replacement if I find that it does not live up to my expectations?

How to calibrate a lens to give better contrast ? Change lens element ?

You should not compare a normal lens to L lens. Usually better quality optic lens will give better contrast.

Ok maybe don't talk about contrast. Resolution is really bad, IMO. I will post some 100% crops for you to judge. Even though 35F2 is a normal lens, but I'd expect it to beat an L zoom lens. Moreover, it's stopped down whereas 24-105 is wide open.

IMG_2939crop.jpg

35mm at F/4

IMG_2941crop.jpg

24-105 at F/4

IMG_2940crop.jpg

35mm at F/5.6

IMG_2942crop.jpg

24-105 at F/5.6

All settings same, tripod mounted with release cable, using auto-focus.

if it is under warranty, you can get free calibration, but if out of warranty, you need to pay for the service.

if it is under warranty, you can get free calibration, but if out of warranty, you need to pay for the service.

mm..ok thks, so judging from the crops, u think i have a case?

urm, sorry this sounds noob, but how do you do 100% crops?

anyway, here's my 35/2 at iso400, f2, 1/100. handheld. focus is on the word "Omnius"
2285495209_af96973691_o.jpg

here's another at f4, 1/30 handheld.
2285495147_8f5607b692_o.jpg

edit: it seemed alot sharper before i uploaded to flickr. must be due to the extra compression. but i think it's still better than yours.

Thks J-chan for the link, the comparison shows that the center crop of the 35mm is sharper than that of 24-105, but the 24-105 excels better at the corners. I'll do both that later and compare.

Antacid: 100% crop means the crop that you get is at 100% zoom. Simply, use a crop tool and crop part of the full-sized image.

IMG_3081crop.jpg

35mm F4 Center

IMG_3084crop.jpg

24-105 F4 Center

IMG_3081crop-corner.jpg

35mm F4 Corner

IMG_3084crop-corner.jpg

24-105 F4 Corner

Looks to me the corner on the 35mm is really bad, I'm using a 1.6X crop camera. Center is also slightly poorer than 24-105L. What do you think?

IMG_3082crop.jpg

35mm F/5.6 Center

IMG_3083crop.jpg

24-105 F/5.6 Center

IMG_3082cornercrop.jpg

35mm F/5.6 Corner

IMG_3083cornercrop.jpg

24-105 F/5.6 Corner

I really really think you should be spending more time on going out to shoot instead of worry too much of this issue.

Don't let this whole issue spoil the fun of photography.

I really really think you should be spending more time on going out to shoot instead of worry too much of this issue.

Don't let this whole issue spoil the fun of photography.

but what if his photography is for taking photographs of sunscreen containers? Then it might be an issue :) I think the TS is just disappointed that the prime wasn't as sharp as the zoom.

I feel that the new zoom lenses from canon, nikon and others, have already caught up to the primes lenses in terms of IQ.

Of course there are better primes than zooms (my 135L murders the 70-200 2.8 IS), but now, L zooms are very much comparable to standard primes, with the added flexiblity of modifying the focal length on the fly.

If you want to compare L zooms to primes, why not get an L prime to make it fairer? :)

There has been a rather large number of lens sharpness related pixel peeping threads started in Canon subforum lately. What's the point of analysing 100% crops when most of the shots don't even make it to the print lab or if they do make it larger than 4r?

I have specific uses for my lens which requires good quality. I asked for a simple question/analysis and I got 75% nonsensical remarks/questions. No thanks man, you know who you are ;(

some people just don have the luck with new equipment. i am one of those!:( i have often bought new things that just dont work! they are ok after an exchange!) not just photography stuff. once got a 300 plus earphone new and the right side went dead after a week. when i brought to the shop, the guy insist is cable problem and will change for me on hte spot. then he realise really the earphone is faulty, not the cable. he said its the 1st time that the earphone spoilt and needed to be replace. what an honor!

anyway, i can really say i know how you feel (though i very used to it alerady). if under warranty, just bring to shop you bought, ask for another copy of 35/2 and shoot test shot on same thing in shop. if confirm yours is less sharp as shop for a change. if cant change at least when you go service center you can tell them you have tried other copies and this set really has focus problem etc.

The images do look a little too soft for a prime lens. Since you just bought it, why not go back to the store and try another copy, or get them to replace it?

Hmm. What are the specific uses? I think you should go out and get your lens fixed asap if you feel you have a need to, instead of wasting time on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.