Portraiture

McAstroHong

Feb 10, 2011
Chinatown
Hi, I'm a canon user & i'm switching to pentax soon because i rlly feel like owning one. I take photographs of people, kids-adults, whatever. I would like to know what lenses for a pentax kr is good? I have a tamron 17-50 non-vc for canon, I rlly like it alot. I would want a lens with nice bokeh but not so expensive since i'm only 16.

Thank you!

i know it sounds strange for me to discourage you from joining our club, but can u elaborate why u want to jump ship?

for portraits, have u tried canon's 50mm f1.8. it is super-cheap and great for shooting portraits

There is also Tamron 17-50 for Pentax , you can use that too.

Just to ask though, why do you think Pentax is better (I suppose you think it's better, that's why you switch)?

Hi, I'm a canon user & i'm switching to pentax soon because i rlly feel like owning one. I take photographs of people, kids-adults, whatever. I would like to know what lenses for a pentax kr is good? I have a tamron 17-50 non-vc for canon, I rlly like it alot. I would want a lens with nice bokeh but not so expensive since i'm only 16.

Thank you!

for fast zooms, the tamron 17-50 is very good value. u should get it for your KR if u're already used to using it. its available in k-mount so no problems there :)

i know it sounds strange for me to discourage you from joining our club, but can u elaborate why u want to jump ship?

for portraits, have u tried canon's 50mm f1.8. it is super-cheap and great for shooting portraits
I'm not saying pentax/canon is better bcos i believe every camera is good as long as u know photography. Well I just wna try it out as that's what i always do. & well I dont use the 50mm f1.8 in canon anyway. But pentax got nothing similar? I used nikon before too. It has got that cheap 50mm f1.8 as well.

Pentax 50mm F/1.8 is out of production.

Pentax 50mm f/1.4 is about $500ish brand new.
Another alternative is DAL 35mm F/2.4, $280ish brand new if I'm not wrong.

Pentax 50mm F/1.8 is out of production.

Pentax 50mm f/1.4 is about $500ish brand new.
Another alternative is DAL 35mm F/2.4, $280ish brand new if I'm not wrong.

Out of production?! Aww man, so i guess still the 17-50 non vc then.

Out of production?! Aww man, so i guess still the 17-50 non vc then.

FA50mm F1.4 is still available new. The older FA50mm F1.7 is no more in production for so many years.

The Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 is also a good lens to get. Or you could try your hans at a FA43mm F1.9 Limited by joining one of the monthly outings to se if the lens is good enough for you to take people.

You can get the K-r and the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 as a set then slowly save up for the FA50mm F1.4 too

McAstroHong said:
I'm not saying pentax/canon is better bcos i believe every camera is good as long as u know photography. Well I just wna try it out as that's what i always do. & well I dont use the 50mm f1.8 in canon anyway. But pentax got nothing similar? I used nikon before too. It has got that cheap 50mm f1.8 as well.

So you've tried Nikon and Canon already? Not sure what you feel is lacking or missing in the other 2 brands, because they sure have good bodies and lenses too. Is there any specific reason or you're just trying out different brands for the sake of trying? Sounds like a tiring process, having to buy and sell, etc. (Trying different lenses for a single brand is tedious enough; I spent a year and a half on this before settling down on a permanent lens set.)

Anyway, Pentax has the DA 16-50, but it's a premier lens with a premier price tag, and as mentioned, there's the cheaper and as competent Tamron version. Never used either.

For portraits, a good and 'cheaper' lens will be the FA50 f1.4. The focal length is good for portraits; why not give it a go? The Canon version has a good reputation. If you go Pentax and shoot exclusively or mostly portraits, a DA70 or FA77 will be a good investment. And investments they are, due to their cost. (Though you can get back most of their cost if you sell later; they keep their resale value very well.)

You can find my portrait shots under People at my online gallery. I don't consider myself a portrait photographer, but somehow I end up with lots of them. Almost all are shot with prime lenses ranging from the DA21mm to K135mm lenses. Good luck!

No point switch and switch. You end up losing money this way.
Though I think Pentax camera bodies are well thought out and well featured for the money vs competitors who like to 'nerf' models on purpose to segregate them over 3-4 levels of camera (ie. entry; advanced entry, advanced amateur, pro), I just can't recommend you to 'waste money' with another system switch.
Even a 'nerfed' entry model from Canikon is pretty able to take good quality photos nowadays.

There is little point to move from Tamron 17-50 on Canon to Pentax.
You get some camera difference on the photos like ooc colors, NR, but not something that is a 'must have'.

If you use Pentax lenses, then at least the size, rendering, contrast from SMC will make a difference.

Last edited: