Pls recommend ideal COMPACT digicam for travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

chriszzz

Jan 17, 2003
Visit site
Hi guys/gals

I'm looking to buy a digital COMPACT camera for travel. I used to use a SLR, then downsized to a Minolta A1 and later, Konica Minolta A200. But still found that they are too big. I am into travelling light ( I hand carry ALL my luggage ), so the camera + battery should be no more than 500g. The lighter, the better.

My requirements :

1. Wide angle zoom ( 28-105 at least ).
2. Uses SD or CF cards.
3. Able to take low light pics handheld without flash, so some sort of image stablelizer is needed. By low light, I mean indoor photos, such as those in a cathedral or church during the day, with the ambient light just being natural light from the windows and skylights.
4. Has night scene/long exposure mode ( ie, > 1 sec ) for use with tripod at night.
5. Preferably pocketable, but can live without this.

After looking around, it seems that the Panasonic FX01 and Ricoh R4 seem the best bets. Unfortunately, both are rather noisy in low light. Are there any others that I should consider ? And why ?

Please don't tell me to use a DSLR because the pixels are bigger so noise is lower, etc. I know about all this. But I prize convenience and size more than anything else. Though I can live with moderate noise, I of coz prefer it is not noisy like hell if possible.

I would suggest fuji F11 or Z2.. but you only want SD or CF.. so cannot fit your bill. Both can shoot up to ISO1600..

yanyewkay said:
I would suggest fuji F11 or Z2.. but you only want SD or CF.. so cannot fit your bill. Both can shoot up to ISO1600..

wow, fast reply. But neither f11 nor z2 are 28mm.

Panasonic LX1.

oh yeah.. you're right.. i missed the 28mm part..

i did a search on dpreview for 28mm and CF and SD.. not many to choose from. mostly older models

Pansonic TZ-1 with 10x optical zoom & image stabilizer yet in such a small body is ideal.

wrx_sti_22b said:
Pansonic TZ-1 with 10x optical zoom & image stabilizer yet in such a small body is ideal.

this not 28mm. This is a major requirement for me.

tao said:
Panasonic LX1.

Not bad. But not much better than the fx01, which is much smaller, cheaper, and far more pocketable.

chriszzz said:
this not 28mm. This is a major requirement for me.

not many has 28mm wide. Those that do, usually dont fit your other requirements, or have a noisy sensor. you might want to get a compact that accepts wide angle converters.

Status
Not open for further replies.