Pls recommend a tripod for travelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

boroangel

Apr 23, 2005
Hi guys...I dont own a tripod yet...and I think I would probably need one when I go on a trip in Nov, hoping to get some good night shots and dawn pictures where the lighting might not be that good and its slightly misty...so to take clear pictures in mistly dawn conditions I suppose a tripod is a must? Mind you I am a newbie and not using some DSLR...using a S5500 actually. Should be good enough to get some good shots? ;)

Anyway hoping to get something with a budget of $100?Might be able to stretch it a little Possible?...dont really know the market price so would appreciate it if anyone can recommend something...

i would recommend the slik sprint pro.:thumbsup:
Bringing my 190prob with 352rc2 head oversea is a pain.

I read about travel or table tripods...are these ok too?

boroangel said:
I read about travel or table tripods...are these ok too?

I read something about your camera just now...it is almost like what I had previously from Sony. But think yours is abit bigger and heavier..the one thing it also does not have is a "real" shutter and also a flip up mirror like the typical SLRs or DSLRs. So that mean you have less worry about vibration cause by your camera. So your only worry is vibration from the ground around you and the tripod that support your camera. And also, just remember to use your remote or camera shutter timer to take your long exposure shots so you don't add to the shake when you press your shutter.

But that also does not mean you need a big heavy sturdy tripod. It will be over kill for your camera. Now do you need a very tall tripod? That depends...If you are going to a country you have never gone then you might have to second guess about what kind of night shot or morning shots. Also...morning shots of the sun rise does not mean you need slow speed to shoot so you need a tripod to hold your camera in place. In fact you would have to factor in the brightness of the rising sun and have to UNDER expose your shots so you don't burn the shot. Usually sun rise and sun set you tend to use higher speed then slower. Let me explain..what I mean is you have to take a reading of the sun and then you average it out to get that nice glow of the rays or the lights coming through the clouds. So in that sense that is what I mean by faster speed shutter. Try some while you are here in Singapore if you are not sure what I mean.

Now if you think you might be taking shots in the out doors with nothing to block your view or some fencing..then a shorter tripod where you can sit behind the tripod would be good or even on the ground ( I have takne alot of shots just sitting on the beach with the tripod infront of me..then you could look to get a medium height tripod. You can get away with something abit light if you dont fancy carry too heavy a tripod or you have no one to help you with your stuff as you go walk about heh.

In any case if the tripod feel abit too light, you can alway drab your bag on the tripod to add weight to it to further stablised it. A good short sling bag where you can add stuff into it will be great. Sling the bag as close to the centre of the tripod as possible and don't let it swing. Coupled that with a remote or timer...I think you should be bringing back from great shots from your trip. :)

Something about 4 feet would be good. Only get those really small table top if you think you dont mind putting it on the floor and you planting your face to the ground or gravel or dirty road to look closely at your LCD to take your shot heheheh....Tabel tripod is only good if you have a table you carry around with you heheheh.. You can easily get those tripod that can go about 4-5 feet. But don't need to over extend it...keep the lower skinny legs inside the medium length legs for more stability if that would help. Those Silk Brand ones are good enough it is not totally smooth or very good for panning shots but for just to get you your long exposure shots, it will more then do) for your use as long as you keep using this SS5500. :)

$100 should be more then enough :)

Slik Sprint Pro GM would be a good choice. Weighs ~1kg and is pretty tall even without the central column extended. I use it with my DSLR too (but replaced the head with a better one).

sammy888 said:
I read something about your camera just now...it is almost like what I had previously from Sony. But think yours is abit bigger and heavier..the one thing it also does not have is a "real" shutter and also a flip up mirror like the typical SLRs or DSLRs. So that mean you have less worry about vibration cause by your camera. So your only worry is vibration from the ground around you and the tripod that support your camera. And also, just remember to use your remote or camera shutter timer to take your long exposure shots so you don't add to the shake when you press your shutter.

$100 should be more then enough :)

Hi...thanks for taking the time out to type all that...I will be moving around with a tour group ( not the best ideal environment to have time to take good shots I know, would prefer to go free & easy but there are some other reasons) so I guess I would really have to wake up early...while others are still asleep to try and get some sunrise shots of u know....when light is just breaking and u get all those rays through the slight mist...would probably be staying in a higher level in Lijiang and should be able to get a good shot of the old town and the mountains surrounding it...

For the sunrise hsots and what you mentioned about compensating for overexposure I must try that before I go for the trip.

So I guess it would be the Silk Sprint Pro GM as recommended by mpenza?

By the way...would it be an overkill to take a tripod when I am using the S5500 and not some DSLR....I am just a newbie but I would like to try some light light shooting conditions...

boroangel said:
So I guess it would be the Silk Sprint Pro GM as recommended by mpenza?

By the way...would it be an overkill to take a tripod when I am using the S5500 and not some DSLR....I am just a newbie but I would like to try some light light shooting conditions...

Well maybe the Silk Sprint Pro would be good but don't limit your choice. Go to a shop that's selling this model and after looking it over, start looking around abit for something similiar that might be abit bigger or smaller with a better head or something. As I see it, a tripod with a central extendeable piece is not that important for your needs to save on weight and if you don't need the extra height. What you need is one which allows you to pan and tilt and rotate side way so you can shot portrait shots easily. It would be good to get one that is smooth for adjusting around while it is attached to the tripod but if you are using the tripod more for those very steady shots like night shots and anything kind of shot that require you to shot at less then 1/10 of a second..well any shots that don't require you to shoot while panning...thus..the most basic one with the most sturdy legs will do.

To the newbie or anyone looking at you with a tripod and a small camera might think it is overkill to someone who knows photography, they will know otherwise. You, of course would look silly if you place that on a pro tripod like even the "small" Manfrotto 190 hehee.....which stands 5 foot+ and a few kg heavy heheh. Do not be afraid to try out the tripods you see at the shops. Don't go over board too with your budget...save it more for your memory cards which I think is rather pricey compared to CF heheh... $100 is more then enough to get you a tripod that will be good enough for you to use on your once a year trip. Also you would not want to get one that is too heavy too if you don't like to be held up by weight. If you are in a tour group...usually you are rush here and there so get those quick release legs tripod..the screw on and off type will slow you down too much.

If you don't think you will be upgrading to a DSLR anytime soon, you might be ok settling for one of those cheap and light alluminium 3 section tripods. I got a giottos for my wife some years back for about $45 and found it to be a really good buy.
This tripod has 3 action head with a pretty smooth panning action (for plastic head) as well as a convenient quick release shoe.
The leg locks are pretty sturdy too, very important if you do not want your camera to come crashing down when one of the legs starts sinking. Also, there is a friction adjustment for the center column to limit the speed that your camera drops from the extended position, when the lock is released. And for added convenience, there is also a well balanced handle with quite a nice sized grip to carry the tripod around of you are not going to pack it in a sling bag.

I normally bring a Slik table pod

1. It is small
2. it is light
3. you can keep the camera mounted
3i. fast setup
3ii. easy to carry up and down the bus
4. you wil enjoy your trip more.

mpenza said:
Slik Sprint Pro GM would be a good choice. Weighs ~1kg and is pretty tall even without the central column extended. I use it with my DSLR too (but replaced the head with a better one).
ditto.

MDZ2 said:

Thanks MD...lookign at the specs its quite reasonable...the folded length is 55.5 cm and the fully extended length is 1.36 m which is about my chest height I reckon ...I am 175. And its around 1 KG.

But it doesnt include the head does it? Are there anything I need to look out for regarding the mounting heads? Might be trying some panoramic shots using stitching so rotating is impt...

By the way...I dont even know how to fix my camera onto the tripod :dunno:...supposed to mount onto the head on the tripod isn't it? I see a hole underneath my camera with screw threads so I suppose its to be screwed onto the head?

boroangel said:
Thanks MD...lookign at the specs its quite reasonable...the folded length is 55.5 cm and the fully extended length is 1.36 m which is about my chest height I reckon ...I am 175. And its around 1 KG.

But it doesnt include the head does it? Are there anything I need to look out for regarding the mounting heads? Might be trying some panoramic shots using stitching so rotating is impt...

By the way...I dont even know how to fix my camera onto the tripod :dunno:...supposed to mount onto the head on the tripod isn't it? I see a hole underneath my camera with screw threads so I suppose its to be screwed onto the head?
correct. that's for the tripod.

anyway u should get a simple and light travel tripod like the slik and get used to deploying the tripod effectively in the field before going too far into the buying frenzy. know what u really need b4 u splurg. =)

sammy888 said:
:
:
:thumbsup: thanks for the well explained info. Sure give newbies like myself some help!! :)

I'm using a simple SLIK tripod. I'm finding it very tough to carry it around ... hehehe makes my shoulder ache!!! What to do? No money to splurge on those carbon fibre or what light weight ones :p

fotojoy said:
:thumbsup: thanks for the well explained info. Sure give newbies like myself some help!! :)

I'm using a simple SLIK tripod. I'm finding it very tough to carry it around ... hehehe makes my shoulder ache!!! What to do? No money to splurge on those carbon fibre or what light weight ones :p

well i guess few would buy top-end stuff on their 1st shopping trip. can always upgrade later when interest & $$ grows!!;p

boroangel said:

Boroangel, the tripod comes with the head and a removable quick release shoe. What this does is it attaches to the camera via a mounting screw and allows you to quickly attach your camera to the tripod head without having to waste time fixing and removing the screw attachment. If you are interested, you can always come and take a look and see if it suits you.

Ok went down to Alan Photos today....asked for the Slik Sprint Pro GM but no stock..similarly for Giottos HD series......called Cathay and MS also no stock.......in the end Ben from Alan Photos recommended me a Slik SDV 20 at $38...well he asked me to save money and get a lighter and cheaper one but that one didnt seem too stable...there wasn't any bag that came with it so bought another Slik tripod bag at $5.....

Total $43........this tripod doesn't have a bubblehead to determinine whether its level with the horizon anot.....dunno if its a critical con anot.....but it seems really stable and quite sturdy.......the tilting from and back.....rotating left right was ok too.....but I suddenly realise that it cannot like.......tilt at an angle to the horizon left and right.....is a tripod supposed to do that?

:bigeyes: u mean u bought a tripod that cannot titl horizontally?:bigeyes: :bigeyes:

i was gonna rec u to get the slik 330pro dx. 1.5kg only. can hold 5kgs. but u bought alrady :think:

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
:bigeyes: u mean u bought a tripod that cannot titl horizontally?:bigeyes: :bigeyes:

i was gonna rec u to get the slik 330pro dx. 1.5kg only. can hold 5kgs. but u bought already :think:

Shucks........mine really cannot tilt left and right leh....can tilt front and back.......warau....I feel super **** now.......so that mens if the ground is not level......then my pics also not level with the horizon:eek:

Oppppppssss....paiseh.....theres this knob where you unscrew and it will like tilt the camera 90 degress to the left.......but it cannot tilt to the right......so its like this flat platform for holding your camera can rotate 90 degrees anticlockwise......but I think still got its limitations ......a tripod headshould be able to rotate both clockwise and anticlockwise?

Status
Not open for further replies.