Pls help - lost my camera!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JesGirl

My camera was stolen yesterday. I bought it less than 2 months. I would appreciate if someone finds or returns it to me. My promise is I will not pursue the matter and will let it rest. I really need my camera back. Here are the details of my camera:

Canon IXUS III (Elph Z3) APS Camera
Serial no: 06914240
3 print types: C, H, P
Secured with a orange lanyard before stolen
A label sticked at the side of the camera, showing 5 imprint titles

sorry to hear that, pehaps you should describe how it was stolen for more leads

this really sucks.
all the best of luck to you.
maybe moderators can make this thread sticky?

It got stolen in Tampines St 81, 30 Oct, between 10-11am

JesGirl said:
My camera was stolen yesterday. I bought it less than 2 months. I would appreciate if someone finds or returns it to me. My promise is I will not pursue the matter and will let it rest. I really need my camera back. Here are the details of my camera:

Canon IXUS III (Elph Z3) APS Camera
Serial no: 06914240
3 print types: C, H, P
Secured with a orange lanyard before stolen
A label sticked at the side of the camera, showing 5 imprint titles

SCREW THE $#@%!^ WHO DID IT!

My empathy, will keep a lookout!

PS: You ought to describe in more details on how it got stolen, then we may know how the b@stard operates.

he broke into my window.

i think i only got myself to blame. but i really appreciate it can be returned to me. really won't pursue the matter.

Tats bad...;(

We'll try to keep a look out for u...

Hope u can get ur camera back soon...

Thanks for all the replies.

I didn't sleep well last night. Some of my holiday pictures are still in it.

JesGirl said:
It got stolen in Tampines St 81, 30 Oct, between 10-11am
Tampines... I'm staying in Simei and Tampines is always a favourite place for me to hang around during weekend.

Looks like it is not safe to bring any gear there anymore... :(

Can describe how it was stolen? reasons being that the IXUS is a small handheld camera, unlike the big SLR gear which we must carry them in professional camera bags. And normally these bags looks very tempting. In fact from far we can deduce the price of the camera and gear by looking at the model of camera bag itself. And in most cases, when we are alone ordering food or stuff like that, we tends to leave the bag unattended on the seats or floor.

Maybe one suggestion is:
i. Avoid going alone to take pictures with big, professional camera bags. Always if possible keeps the gear light and avoid carrying lens we might not use at all. Better still go in a group so as we can look out for each other.

ii. Avoid hawker centre, food courts, public open area when we are alone dining with our gear. My practice is that when I carry my camera with me, I normally go to resturants for my meals. Sometimes the extra few dollars we spent on food is worth it, as compared to our gear that amt to thousands being stolen. Moreover, that extra few dollars would also meant better, tasty food and with added security. In most cases, also a good time for me to review my shoots.

iii. Avoid showing off our gear in open especially when we are alone. I still remember during the Chingay, as I was dining with a friend at Burger King after the shoot, I saw a group of 5 guys, maybe fellow CS members dining on the other table next to mine, showing off their gear, 2x D1x, 1x 1Ds, 3x F5, all mount with big, big, lenses. And they actually occupy a double empty table next to theirs, as if to tell others that "...mine camera is so expensive that it had to seat on an empty table when I dine... ". What a show-off... If there are any fast runners around, they can actually do a quick snatch and run on any camera, and that could easily earn them at least $2K by re-selling in the grey market.

Above all, I feel sorry for your loss. :embrass: Frankly, the chances of getting it back is very, very, slim... you might as well get over it, and start looking for a new one. Maybe you can take it that, "God is giving you a chance and reason for yourself to upgrade to Digital...", in fact if you like, I think I can help you get a brand new IXUS 400 digital 4MP for $730... PM me if you want... ;p

So sorry for reading my lo-sor 2 cents worth view... Just that I felt quite disturb over the recent increase of camera being stolen in public. Maybe that is a indirect effect of the recent economy downturn... Regards.

My camera is an APS not digital.

I know the chances of getting it back is very slim. But I have been roaming about in my block to try my luck. Probably would have to take some time to get over it.

I hope the person who picked it up feels somewhat guilty and will return to me. Sigh... maybe me just daydreaming...

JesGirl said:

I know the chances of getting it back is very slim. But I have been roaming about in my block to try my luck. Probably would have to take some time to get over it.

I hope the person who picked it up feels somewhat guilty and will return to me. Sigh... maybe me just daydreaming...

u might wanna check out cash convertor outlets...especially the one at the DBS centre...

thanks! will check out tomorrow.

JesGirl said:

Precisely... I'm advising you to take the opportunity to upgrade to digital... APS is expensive to develop although it produce beautiful pictures expecially the 10"x4" landscape P mode, is something most camera can't do. But the thread is going towards digital nowadays... trust me, you'd love it, especially you gets to review immediately after taking the shots.

Cheers :)

As a matter fact, I already have a digital one, Fujifilm S602Z. I use it to take pictures for use in publications.

I am a digicam user for a few years. I started when owning a digicam wasn't that common.

After these years, I notice digicams may be able to capture very detailed shots. But in terms of shooting people, you just feel that film cameras are still better. Somehow they flatter skin tones better. That is why the newer digicams start having features like "portrait".

JesGirl said:

Hmmm...... have you reported the incident to the police? Its quite daring for the person to remove straight from your open window. If you bring up the case, people can be more aware.

I'm sure the b@stard may pull the stunt again.

Reporting it will increase the chance of him/her being apprehended. Maybe by then, they can recover your camera and pictures!

i am actually hoping to settle this amiably. Don't want to arrest the person as long as I can retrieve my camera. But if filing a police report works, I guess i would have to do it.

JesGirl said:
i am actually hoping to settle this amiably. Don't want to arrest the person as long as I can retrieve my camera. But if filing a police report works, I guess i would have to do it.

i suggest u make a police report... say if u managed to find ur cam sitting in any second hand shop... u might have an easier time getting it back...

oh yes. one thing i found it strange.

Though my room is facing the corridor, most people cannot look into the room as my unit is higher than the corridor. They can't possibly see what's on my desk, they can only try to reach and feel for it. Unless they are 1.7m and above. Even so, they will have some difficulty trying to grab things from the desk.

There was no stool for the person to stand on because my dad actually saw him (didn't see his face) and chased him straightaway. But the person ran too fast. My dad couldn't catch him and cannot really remember his features (my dad is old and short-sighted).

Status
Not open for further replies.