Plasma TV vs LCD TV, differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gryphon

Jan 20, 2003
Dry cabinet!
Visit site
Was asked about which is better, plasam or LCD TV.
I have no idea each of their pros & cons. Anyone care to share your knowledge or experience?
Also which are the better brands? Thanks

P.S. Didn't wanna go ask those sales person at courts or whatsoever...some of them will kinna like to bullshit to sell the items

gryphon said:
Was asked about which is better, plasam or LCD TV.
I have no idea each of their pros & cons. Anyone care to share your knowledge or experience?

From a technical side the Plasma's should be brighter. A plasma display pixel generates it's own light, and LCD is purely transmissive and they have a back-light panel which shines through the actual display panel.

I suspect at the end of the day 'what is better' is going to be purely subjective, go to the stores, ignore the sales reps and try to get a feel for screens. (Also remembering the stores lighting will be nothing like your home).

i anyhow guess..sony...

dude u just struck the lottery? :cool:

plasma is good but pretty warm and high power consumption.
today saw the cheapest 42 inches plasma is $2Kplus at Courts.

hehe..or why not go for a budget-value projector and project whatever u need..save space and weight also :think:

Something to take note of Plasma TV, they tend to have burn-in effect if the image left unchanged for abt 10 to 20 mins. I'm into the LCD TV development, we did some testing with Plasma. After just 30 mins of displaying a high contrast still image it left a permanent burn-in effect. Life span, power consumption and heat are also factors to consider.

Something that LCD TV really standout is resolution especially when you view high res pictures.

Caussway said:
Something to take note of Plasma TV, they tend to have burn-in effect if the image left unchanged for abt 10 to 20 mins. I'm into the LCD TV development, we did some testing with Plasma. After just 30 mins of displaying a high contrast still image it left a permanent burn-in effect. Life span, power consumption and heat are also factors to consider.

Something that LCD TV really standout is resolution especially when you view high res pictures.
Then those channel 5 logo etc at topright corner will be affected since they are nearly always there :bigeyes:

gryphon said:
Then those channel 5 logo etc at topright corner will be affected since they are nearly always there :bigeyes:

Not quite for new generation of plasma tv like the Panasonic Viera series which are less prone to screen burn-in as long as you stick to its recommended burn-in procedure.
Another thing is that the logo usually goes off during commercial breaks giving that part of the screen a chance to "relax itself", and also judging from the amount of commercials we had on free-to-air tv programmes, I dun think it's really a problem at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.