planning to go angkor wat

Status
Not open for further replies.

yymun

Nov 23, 2003
tanglin
Visit site
Hi, i would like to seek advise regarding the above. it is true that singaporean do not need to apply VISA to visit cambodia?:think:

do we need to go for malari jab b4 visit siem reap?:think:

has anyone bought their kids to siem reap b4, may i know what are some difficulties:think:

lastly what is your favour place for shooting sunrise and sunset?

your advise is very much appreciated!

Hi, i would like to seek advise regarding the above. it is true that singaporean do not need to apply VISA to visit cambodia?:think:

has anyone bought their kids to siem reap b4, may i know what are some difficulties:think:

1) no visa needed

2) Can get, but then... might not need.

3) nope, don't think there is much difficulties as long as they are somewhat independent. give them tonnes of water.

4) none. usually too crowded. Try Angkor wat for sunrise.

1) no visa needed

2) Can get, but then... might not need.

3) nope, don't think there is much difficulties as long as they are somewhat independent. give them tonnes of water.

4) none. usually too crowded. Try Angkor wat for sunrise.

thank you very much NISA! :)

I dun think angkor wat is an interesting place for kids. There's going to be alot of walking. Other than letting them appreciate the life they have in Singapore, I don't think there's anything fun that they will be enjoying.

If the kids are big enough you could explain to them the history of old Angkor kingdom. That along with all the sights should pick their interest. Should be a good learning for them.
Afterall they dont get to see such historically significant monuments(older than 150years) in Singapore.

Although it might be crowded, but I think sunset in front of THE Angkor Wat is really magical. When facing the wat, the sun sets behind you, which means the temple will turn a beautiful golden red. Most of the tourists will congregate in front of the left pond, so you can get a bit more quiet at the right pond.
I was lucky to have some rain clouds (without the rain!) which resulted in a rainbow at sunset. Wonderful!

I think if you involve your kids in the planning, they will feel more excited when they are actually there. Get them to watch the movie Tomb Raider (or even play the video game!), which used the temples as the sets for filming. The kids would have a blast trying to identify the actual places used as the backdrop for the various scenes! Lmodel is right though, about it involving a lot of walking which the kids might not be used to.

Ya, unlike most temples, Angkor Wat faces to the west and it's not an ideal spot for sunrise shots unless you like boring sihlouette shots. It's best left for sunset shots. Try Angkor Tom for sunrise shots, a lot less people too at that time of the morning. Angkor Wat can be a stampede during sunrise.

Going to Cambodia from 8-12 Dec staying in Phom Penh :) jus wondering is it expensive for prints there or should i simply bring a photo printer. Doing some charitable shoot? Also anyone knows of money changer here that can change a couple of hundreds of US$1 notes.

Also anyone knows of money changer here that can change a couple of hundreds of US$1 notes.[/QUOTE]

yes! let me know too where to change:think:

Also anyone knows of money changer here that can change a couple of hundreds of US$1 notes.
yes! let me know too where to change:think:
no problem at all ... change at the hotel where you are staying for smaller notes.....

i went there around 6 years ago. that time i was using F501 :embrass: with no tripod to shoot the sunrise.

the guide i hired for 3 days told me that around April or March, the sun will rise in alignment with the tallest structure of Angkor Wat. dunno how true issit :dunno:

from my recent trip experience...

1. singaporean no need Visa.
2. i don't think there's such a thing as a malaria jab now. can't find them around here. just bring insect repellent. should be fine.
3. like what most have advised, very young kids may find the entire trip boring. this is no Disneyland and kids may not appreciate the ruins. there're a lot of climbing and long walks. if you want your kids to see how simple the Cambodians kids way of life is, then this will be an eye-opener for them.
4. sunrise at Angkor-wat is nice.

Went there a few months back...

Confirm no need VISA...but need to buy temple pass they will take your photo there and print out on the pass itself

Nope no malaria vaccine available yet, did not take any malaria prophylaxis while I was there.

Quite safe did not see any armed people around

When I was there it was rain rain and more rain...but good thing was that there was not much of a crowd and I was just snapping away under an umbrella....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.