Photoshop CS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

philip827

Aug 17, 2004
upp east coast road
Hello...have a question here regarding Photoshop CS.
When you open a raw file, there will be this page whereby the photo is on the left and on the right, you can adjust temperature, tint etc.
There are also exposure, shadow, contrast and saturation control. Is it better to process the photo using these adjustments instead of using curves etc from photoshop?
Thanks for your advice...

philip827 said:
Hello...have a question here regarding Photoshop CS.
When you open a raw file, there will be this page whereby the photo is on the left and on the right, you can adjust temperature, tint etc.
There are also exposure, shadow, contrast and saturation control. Is it better to process the photo using these adjustments instead of using curves etc from photoshop?
Thanks for your advice...

The 'page' you refer to is the 'Camera Raw' plug in, developed by Thomas Knoll, the guy who wrote PS. In my opinion it is an excellent tool to start processing with, because it makes you think in aslightly different way than say going straight to curves, and the tools are much more subtle effects than those in PS CS itself (just try Saturation for example and you will see what I mean.) Settings can also be saved, so you can set preferences for your camera and recall them rather than set up a long 'action' in PS. This is great for consistency. The only tool I tend to avoid here is any sharpening, which is better acheived in PS itself. Go and experiment and I think you will find it is a very good place to start (much better than most cameras own RAW processing software (e.g. Nikon Capture!!)
;) hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.