Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a beehive When i am macro-ing
11368987884_c852d744ed_c.jpg

Close up of the hive with honey!
11368912264_e92439c2f5_c.jpg

And lastly Common Mime Caterpillar
11368975383_5b156714fe_c.jpg

Some photos with the ol' K5 and Tamron 10-24mm from Dubai/Abu Dhabi from my recent honeymoon. :)

11339441393_c4ecf79681_o.jpg

Amazing.

Like as if it was a set from a sci fi movie.

11384356836_ed0121a5ba_b.jpg

Sunrise on the concrete Garden from a concrete Mountain

I can't help but think of the irony of the Gardens.
The river used to open out to the sea.
Then it was reclaimed and it had a small inlet.
Then it was dammed up and is now freshwater.
Culminating in the opening of the Gardens.

The Gardens almost like a celebration to all this.
A pinnacle showcase of development over what was...

Other photos on this thread :
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1269672&p=8695353#post8695353

first try at this type of pp...

i guess coming from a k-x and k01 background..the fps of k3 really amaze me...

k3 with FA31

Nice.. so is 3 shots combine to one in cam or?

Some shots during the EOY2013 event.

Was trying out HSS methods.. Shooting at -EV (1 to 2) at AV mode, then flash with + 1 to 2. Did not get the feel i want. Still too noob with flashes. argh..

Reactions: Raffles88
Some shots during the EOY2013 event.

Was trying out HSS methods.. Shooting at -EV (1 to 2) at AV mode, then flash with + 1 to 2. Did not get the feel i want. Still too noob with flashes. argh..

I think i know what you're looking for...

If i guess correctly what you have in mind, you will need to:

1) gel your flash
2) get off AWB (seriously..)
3) use Manual camera mode (this too...)
4) extra, off shoe flash..

;D
Any prizes? LoL!

I think i know what you're looking for...

If i guess correctly what you have in mind, you will need to:

1) gel your flash
2) get off AWB (seriously..)
3) use Manual camera mode (this too...)
4) extra, off shoe flash..

;D
Any prizes? LoL!

No prizes.. haha...

Just trying out another style which is closer to low key. think i am not suited for that style lol..

But I felt AWB works well for me.

Hi ranchy, didn't expect to see you there. :bsmilie:

@Sync
Interesting you should mention manual mode. In all my previous flash attempts I've been exclusively using manual mode. That day I actually tried going with Av mode and just keep the shutter speed under sync speed. What I discovered was my camera was using a wide range of shutter speeds, from 1/30 to 1/125. I think I actually prefer it a bit as I only have to worry about aperture and EV. If I was shooting from a single location I think manual definitely is the way to go, but when you're moving around the place changing the shutter speed feels like too much of a hassle compared to EV compensation, which is relative to the current lighting situation so it's easier to make mental adjustments.

BTW, is there any trick to getting catchlights with flash during daytime? I had been experimenting that day and gotten mixed results. Wish I knew what I was doing right and wrong. :sweat:

@Sync
Interesting you should mention manual mode. In all my previous flash attempts I've been exclusively using manual mode. That day I actually tried going with Av mode and just keep the shutter speed under sync speed. What I discovered was my camera was using a wide range of shutter speeds, from 1/30 to 1/125. I think I actually prefer it a bit as I only have to worry about aperture and EV. If I was shooting from a single location I think manual definitely is the way to go, but when you're moving around the place changing the shutter speed feels like too much of a hassle compared to EV compensation, which is relative to the current lighting situation so it's easier to make mental adjustments.

Yea.. Av mode works too, if you like to make the bg slightly darker and let the flash light the subject, you just need to control camera ev compensation between -1 to -2 also can.. It's basically the same, only difference is that using Manual mode, the ambient exposure won't differ so much when suddenly the bg changes; large group of people wearing white walks into frame, etc. In Av mode, bam! your ambient exposure gets further underexposed.. ;P

Ultimately, keeping things consistent is key to getting consistent result, i feel.. And that's why i feel that many people tend to feedback that Pentax p-TTL is terrible back then when i was using the Kr. Most were using Av mode, auto-iso, center-weighted metering, when strobing.. That's a fantastic recipe for exposure issues. :D

Regarding catchlights, i dunno man.. He's around here somewhere.. I think you'll either need a good reason or a gun to catch him.. ;P

Last edited:
Yea.. Av mode works too, if you like to make the bg slightly darker and let the flash light the subject, you just need to control camera ev compensation between -1 to -2 also can.. It's basically the same, only difference is that using Manual mode, the ambient exposure won't differ so much when suddenly the bg changes; large group of people wearing white walks into frame, etc. In Av mode, bam! your ambient exposure gets further underexposed.. ;P

Ultimately, keeping things consistent is key to getting consistent result, i feel.. And that's why i feel that many people tend to feedback that Pentax p-TTL is terrible back then when i was using the Kr. Most were using Av mode, auto-iso, center-weighted metering, when strobing.. That's a fantastic recipe for exposure issues. :D

Ahaha, well, if you're moving around there's already an expectation that you need to tweak your settings before shooting, so consistency is already out of the window there. xD

Regarding catchlights, i dunno man.. He's around here somewhere.. I think you'll either need a good reason or a gun to catch him.. ;P

LOL. :bsmilie:

Well, I did some tests now and learned quite a few things I didn't realize before. So that's good. :) Let's see if I can apply it the next time I go out shooting people.

Ahaha, well, if you're moving around there's already an expectation that you need to tweak your settings before shooting, so consistency is already out of the window there. xD

LOL. :bsmilie:

Well, I did some tests now and learned quite a few things I didn't realize before. So that's good. :) Let's see if I can apply it the next time I go out shooting people.

True that! Most definitely one would need to know how to control ambient exposure with one look at the scene.

Say, try this, shoot a scene with Manual mode and p-TTL, then shot again after you place a bright source of light in the BG.

Now, set on Av mode and do the same set of photo.

Then compare.. Which one would be more consistent?

Consistency doesn't mean an exact value always, it just means the range of changes is minimal. ;)

Share leh.. what did you learn ah? I also want to try/know.

True that! Most definitely one would need to know how to control ambient exposure with one look at the scene.

Say, try this, shoot a scene with Manual mode and p-TTL, then shot again after you place a bright source of light in the BG.

Now, set on Av mode and do the same set of photo.

Then compare.. Which one would be more consistent?

Consistency doesn't mean an exact value always, it just means the range of changes is minimal. ;)

Agree. If you stay in one place manual would be best. But if you say, shoot outdoors then move indoors/shady area, it's faster to let Av mode calculate the shutter speed between those two situations I think.

Which is what happened in that event, since people are scattered around, location/lighting isn't consistent.

Share leh.. what did you learn ah? I also want to try/know.

Not much... just that I probably need a bigger softbox. haha. Would love to have an off-camera setup but carrying and setting up is :sticktong for those kinds of events, especially when you work alone. :sweat:

Found a beehive When i am macro-ing
11368987884_c852d744ed_c.jpg

Close up of the hive with honey!
11368912264_e92439c2f5_c.jpg

And lastly Common Mime Caterpillar

Nice find, never found one before over the yrs of macro. Honey comb on the grass:)

No bees found. Just thinking if the bees has abandon its nest.?

Where is this place? tks.

marcus

Marcus, it was taken at bidadari as i went back to do some macro since you guys showed great pictures from the outing thread but still not able to find robber-fly sadly

Marcus, it was taken at bidadari as i went back to do some macro since you guys showed great pictures from the outing thread but still not able to find robber-fly sadly

A great place for macro:thumbsup:..Better to go by mrt than driving as car park available is only at the crematorium:(, a distance walk too.

Should go for night macro ???:bsmilie:

marcus

A great place for macro:thumbsup:..Better to go by mrt than driving as car park available is only at the crematorium:(, a distance walk too.

Should go for night macro ???:bsmilie:

marcus

Do post if you are going night macro.
I try to make it

I am on too if there is, oh I may need help for wedding shoot so if there is any who could guide me it will be nice

Status
Not open for further replies.