Photos from 8D7N Hanoi Halong Bay & Sapa Valley Photography Trek

limwhow #16 & limwhow #17

Somehow my skills were not that up to the task.
My eyes were not that tuned to composition, and my shots paled in comparison to my team members' shots.
I dare only put up these few because the rest all cannot make it.
Here, the Guards were henta kaki-ing before starting to march in.
In the other shot, I could only catch a clean shot of the flag bearers from their backside.
My frontal shots were really lousy.
I remember one of our team mates has a great full-frontal shot. Hehe... awaiting him to put up and share....
4684021329_7fcf864268_b.jpg
4684656124_ba0f8f81c5.jpg

limwhow #18

4684022331_59f4ffd583_b.jpg

limwhow #19

After a while I gave up and started shooting the cute and innocent little Vietnamese children on the parade square.
The cropping on this photo is not ideal and I have gotten the nearest girl's legs cut off - apologies.
But I put this one up because the centre girl's smile was quite to my liking.
4684025889_c26cd1a7dd_b.jpg

limwhow #20

This boy was running around, only stopping to pose when his Father took his photos.
4684657098_0205aa204e_b.jpg

While walking along the street on the first night out one of our mates got his wallet and hp snatched literally away from his hand by a local on a bike.

Wa.... :bigeyes: must be real frustrating. Welcome back! :)

what happened? :dunno:

Hi night86mare, if you're going, please take care of your belongings. When you're walking in the streets of Hanoi, especially in the Old Quarter where motorcycles whizz past you every second, keep your cameras in front of you (to prevent snatch theft). Personal valuables should also be kept in the inner compartments of your backpack as thieves with knives are not uncommon.

You will also need to bargain a fair bit in Vietnam as there is a distinct two tier pricing for locals and foreigners (we pay about 50% more). Learning the language also helps abit... i'll most some useful phrases in days to come...

While walking along the street on the first night out one of our mates got his wallet and hp snatched literally away from his hand by a local on a bike.

Yah... what an experience for a boy of a young tender age like me.
Although I wasn't the victim, but witnessing the incident first-hand just a few metres behind, this first ever encounter with a snatch thief in my life made this an unforgettable night.

Weehow, i really like this photo !!! The march-past contingent behind the soldier form beautiful lines that complement the alert soldier!

And here is a young comrade of the Vietnamese Guards.
They were very cute, the way they would hold up their loud speakers and shoo off those who step over the white line just before the flag raising ceremony began.
4684022995_ed0a9f00cb_b.jpg

Hi Limwhow, love your #15, great composition with the ceremonial guards in the background marching by, you are too modest, quick show us more photos!!! :)

Weehow, i really like this photo !!! The march-past contingent behind the soldier form beautiful lines that complement the alert soldier!

Thank you, Mr Hahatan!
He was alert meh?!
He looked more half asleep than myself... hehehe....

NVN%20Hanoi%20203.jpg

1) At the Square waiting for the ceremony to start

NVN%20Hanoi%20065.jpg

2) Locals having their morning meals along the five foot way

NVN%20Hanoi%20059.jpg

3) Another shot of the street scene

4)
NVN%20Hanoi%20221.jpg

A bowl of noodles will set you back around 20,000 Dong (S$ 1.50). Probably not too cheap considering the cost on the standard of living there

NVN%20Hanoi%20066.jpg

5) Lady vegetable seller peddling her produces on a bicycle

Thanks for viewing

Yah... what an experience for a boy of a young tender age like me.
Although I wasn't the victim, but witnessing the incident first-hand just a few metres behind, this first ever encounter with a snatch thief in my life made this an unforgettable night.

He is a thief if apprehended, if not then he's still a local out there on the street ...:(:(:(

Last edited:
T R A V E L O G U E - Day 2 Hanoi

True to the spirit of the team, we woke up very early the next day to make our way to Ba Dinh Square outside the Ho Chih Minh Mausoleum, smack right in the centre of Hanoi.
Our main purpose was to capture the Vietnamese Guards marching pass and their daily Flag Raising Ceremony.
Ba Dinh Square is a huge parade square.
Early in the morning 5:30am there were already many local residents there, both old and young, doing their exercises.
They look even more energetic and alert than me myself.

limwhow #11 and limwhow #12 (insert)
"Ok, ladies & gentlemen, please unload from the bus. On the left side you can see the Mausoleum. It's 5:30am now. You have until 6am to roam around and do your own shooting."
"At 6am I will be at the best spot that I have recce-ed for you all to shoot the flag bearers. Meet me there,"
instructed Adrian.

Like your panning shot of me

4685902004_229ff7a651_b.jpg
4685919980_abdf715af0_m.jpg

limwhow #13
Tommy, the Vietnamese guide, said: "Ok, later when the Guards march past, every one must stand up and cannot squat down, to show respect."
Adrian: "Nowadays they have new rulings - we have to stand after the stretch of white lines to observe the march past, when previously the photographers could stand very near to the Guards."
4685271481_a3670d5486_b.jpg

limwhow #14
We all roamed the parade square. Both SereneXMM and I were a little lost at first, not knowing what to shoot.
Then I saw this old man with a plastic bag under his arm, walking close up to the main door of the Mausoleum, clasped his hands, closed his eyes and muttered a prayer.
I was a little surprised. But then it begun to set in - this must be an old Vietnamese soldier, who was probably under the command and leadership of Ho Chih Minh the Leader.
And he was merely here to pay his respect and to reminiscent the old days of the war.
4684019973_ed2c554beb_b.jpg

limwhow #15
And here is a young comrade of the Vietnamese Guards.
They were very cute, the way they would hold up their loud speakers and shoo off those who step over the white line just before the flag raising ceremony began.
4684022995_ed0a9f00cb_b.jpg

He is a thief if apprended, if not then he's still a local out there on the street ...:(:(:(

At least it happened when I was among a group instead of travelling solo. And half my money was in the hotel. Even if that fellow snatched everything, I think I can count on you guys to lend me enough to tide me through right?? :sweat:

I must credit Adrian though. He gave me all the assistance possible, including loaning me his phone and getting me a SIM card.

And no pics from me for now. I just returned the Spyder to Cathay for checking.

At least it happened when I was among a group instead of travelling solo. And half my money was in the hotel. Even if that fellow snatched everything, I think I can count on you guys to lend me enough to tide me through right?? :sweat:

I must credit Adrian though. He gave me all the assistance possible, including loaning me his phone and getting me a SIM card.

And no pics from me for now. I just returned the Spyder to Cathay for checking.

Yes, acpical.
I was on the verge of emptying my wallet and tua-leng-kong luggage for you that very evening already.
From the corner of my eyes, I could also vaguely make out Stevepow searching his left, right, front and back pockets for his extra credit cards and cash... ;)

And anyway, no Spyder you can also PP what... eh, you are one of the key personnel on this trip leh... how can no pictures from you?!
Your photos must come in fast and furious one, acpical.
Otherwise my two times fall down the steps of Sapa would have been in waste....

Anyway, this is a record shot of the fateful scene just moments before you lost your Angkor Wat sandal to the motorbike Cowboy...

4687807784_8034aa3e97_b.jpg

Last edited:
Some shots of our tour mates in action at the Parade Square

1)
NVN%20Hanoi002.JPG

Sandal still in one piece ler....

2)
NVN%20Hanoi011.jpg

3)
NVN%20Hanoi%20030.jpg

Mates, let me know if you're not comfortable for appearing in the pix and I will take it out

Last edited:
Are these trips common in CS?
Looks interesting ....
Trek i like
Taking photo i like
.... combined is .. wonderful.

Not to mention ...nice pics of the country that i always wanted to F&E there.

And anyway, no Spyder you can also PP what... eh, you are one of the key personnel on this trip leh... how can no pictures from you?!
Your photos must come in fast and furious one, acpical.
Otherwise my two times fall down the steps of Sapa would have been in waste....

Actually, I am also intending to upgrade and format my PC over the next couple of days...so don't want to activate the CS5 so soon twice. Wait I get flagged out for piracy!

Hi Mates,

Here's my 2 dong worth and solely my personal opinion.

Really like the composition. Can't fault it.

Hi, divinemoment!
Good to have you up here.
Eh, your photos of the trip are FANTASTIC!
Please share all your works with us here. Looking forward to them. :)