Photos from 8D7N Hanoi Halong Bay & Sapa Valley Photography Trek

SgTrekker

Oct 15, 2009
Singapore
www.sgtrekker.com
Photos from our recent 8D7N Hanoi Sapa Halong Bay Photography Tour. More photography tours at www.sgtrekker.com

4685506244_8464d96587_b.jpg

4684872437_7377d487d9_b.jpg

4685504946_f77bcc5be5_b.jpg

4685503594_b2f93e2021_b.jpg

4685507066_e4f2bd530e_b.jpg

Comments & crititcs are welcomed.

Please feel free to comment and/or post any photos related to this Trip!

Last edited:
Great photos, Adrian!

Firstly, I wish to congratulate SgTrekker for another highly successful photo-trek.
The planning and execution was, as always, in every way geared towards photo enthusiasts.
And the attention to every bit of details - accomodation, meals, comfort, photographic opportunities etc. etc. - was great.

Both SereneXMM and I enjoyed every single moment of the trip.
And I am sure all our other fellow travel mates did so too.

The climb up Tit Top Island, and the trekking to the villages in Sapa were a little tiring but fruitful.
And the Photo Sharing Sessions during the trip were fantastic learning opportunities for us.
Every photo shared among the members was a source of inspiration.

As always, I ask all to allow me to start my small little Travelogue of this meaningful trip.
As I slowly share my photos and narration, I plead every one to put in his/her photos at any moment,
together with his/her own thoughts and comments.

Wa...lau... still full of energy after the trip to post a narration ( to quote you limwhow ) so soon

Well just a few few pix to get the ball rolling on our first night at Hanoi notwithstanding the unfortuante incident of our fellow tourmate that nite
Don't ask me where is this place.. cos I am just trying out on the iso 6400 for the nite shot

1)
NVN%20Hanoi%20230.jpg

Pretty noisy I believe

And here are the rest of our first nite scene over at Hanoi

2)
NVN%20Hanoi%20224.JPG

3)
NVN%20Hanoi%20227.JPG

4)
NVN%20Hanoi%20223.JPG

5)
NVN%20Hanoi%20232.jpg

More to come ... from the others...

Last edited:
T R A V E L O G U E ~ Day 1

A hot and humid afternoon it was when we met up for our flight to Hanoi.
A few were old friends from previous SgTrekker trips, and others were new acquaintances.
Over the next 8 days we would go through some of the most spectacular scenery in Vietnam together.

limwhow #1
4685027449_25bb1cc1a5_b.jpg

Touching down at an equally humid Hanoi in the evening, we were welcomed by none but Adrian himself.
A one hour 16-seater drive took us through the night street scenes of Hanoi.
What struck me was the houses were almost all narrow in width at the front, and were tall and deep.
This was characteristic as historically, the people of Vietnam have been taxed based on how wide their houses were!

limwhow #2
A typical house.
4681690632_14b1d85cf7_b.jpg

Another interesting sight was that of the local Vietnamese sitting on stools along the road side enjoying their hawker fares.
Such a common sight this was that it dawned upon me that this was their way of life, much like our Hawker Centres in Singapore.
Men in casual wear, ladies in modern attires with short tight skirts and high heels, children and old folks can be found seated
and gathered around small wooden tables enjoying their Pho or grilled squid.

limwhow #3

Road-side hawker.
4681691332_3beb681c59_b.jpg

And here we were, finally arriving at our Hanoi Deluxe Hotel.
A nice and cosy hotel smack right in the centre of the Ancient Quarter of Hanoi.
Very thoughtful of SgTrekker as we would find ourselves walking around this part of Hanoi over the next few days.

limwhow #4

Adrian checking us in.
4681059737_11869d4ee8_b.jpg

Haha... I am again the humble record photographer for the trip.
My photos are simply record snap shots and are meant for all of us to remember the trip by.
And also to record certain interesting events.
I am happy to receive criticisms from everyone on the many deficiencies in my photos.

Last edited:
great photos! i am going vietnam this sunday! =)

Hanoi, Halong Bay, Sapa, HCMC, Nha Thrang. Any special recommendations of places to go?

halong bay is quite foggy in the morning, I never had a chace to get a clear photo during my last visit.

Stevepow! Where got noisy?
Your trusty machine does not give too much noise lah... you are being modest!
Anyway, that building that you were talking about has a long complicated Vietnamese name.
To me, I just call it the 'KFC' building because there is a KFC shop right in front.

limwhow #5

The 'KFC' building.
A snap shot of SereneXMM giving the building a go on ground level, just before we took the 5 storeys up to City View Cafe for our first dinner in Hanoi.

4681099139_768909616b_b.jpg

limwhow #6

And here we are, all enjoying our stir fried chicken rice, beef rice, noodles and all the local Vietnamese food,
not forgetting our good friend Stevepow's favourite beverage. The view was amazing from high up there.
Pardon the orangey hue. The lighting was all tungsten, and I intentionally kept the temperature a little warm to reflect the actual mood of the place.
Here: bleach147 (aka Adrian), Stevepow, acpical, SereneXMM, divinemoment, chubbykei, helen , Jim CPA and George...

4681145003_d836ee5965_b.jpg

limwhow #7
SereneXMM and I took a walk out to the balcony and I took a snap shot of the rest of the members having dinner inside.

4681732488_d2937bc8cb_b.jpg

limwhow #8
So excited were all of us that before long (even before dinner arrived) many of us found ourselves wandering out to
the breezy balcony and shooting at the maximum ISO's of our cameras.
Here, our good friend divinemoment has found an ingenious way of stabilising his camera with the pole!

4681731934_154a457579_b.jpg

limwhow #9

Here is just another mood shot of SereneXMM looking afar at the night scene below.

4681131641_776e1e54bc_b.jpg

Last edited:

limwhow #10

Luckily this time Stevepow's favourite beverage did not get to me too much.
And I was still sober enough to snap this miniature model as I walked out of City View Cafe.

4681145587_3fa8b1825b_b.jpg

Wa...lau... still full of energy after the trip to post a narration ( to quote you limwhow ) so soon

Well just a few few pix to get the ball rolling on our first night at Hanoi notwithstanding the unfortuante incident of our fellow tourmate that nite
Yah, man, Stevepow.
Honestly, had I not been there personally to witness it, the impact wouldn't have been as great.
So at the expense of our good buddy's misfortune, I am sure not only myself and SereneXMM, but many of us in the team would remember this enough to be particularly wary in the future.

And you have so rightly captured the so many many many beautifully dressed ladies, decked in short, tight skirts
with high heels all riding on their motorbikes along the streets of Hanoi.
An unforgettable sight for a Sua Ku like me.

SereneXMM #1
We walked along Hang Bo Street to look for supper after dinner.

4681700598_a3bc9dae80_b.jpg

SereneXMM #2
We found many stalls selling Cuttle fish.
They smelled very nice. But we didn't buy because the price was too expensive.
4681069025_98c1e3693a_b.jpg

Hey WHow, Mr Pow, you guys sure are fast! i haven't even posted this thread in our thank you email yet and you guys are already here! Yes very tiring but fun and eventful trip, thank you everyone for your support! WHow, hope you got enough time to pp your photos to continue your travellogue, it sounds like it's gonna be as tiring as the actual trip itself, if not more! haha

I believe we all need at least another few more days to recover and pp before posting and sharing here, your photos and travellogues will be a good guide to people who wish to visit North Vietnam :)

I'll post more pix in the days to come... good job everyone!

Last edited:
great photos! i am going vietnam this sunday! =)

Hanoi, Halong Bay, Sapa, HCMC, Nha Thrang. Any special recommendations of places to go?

Hi ShiNn. Every place there in Hanoi, Halong Bay, Sapa is special.
Just be careful with two things:
  • Your wallet, passport, handphone and photography equipment
  • The wet, slippery and slightly slanted steps that are so typical of Sapa - easy to slip and fall, not only once but a few times.
halong bay is quite foggy in the morning, I never had a chace to get a clear photo during my last visit.

Hmmm... same here.

SereneXMM #1
We walked along Hang Bo Street to look for supper after dinner.

SereneXMM #2
We found many stalls selling Cuttle fish.
They smelled very nice. But we didn't buy because the price was too expensive.

Yupe, the fateful Hang Bo Street...
And just to satisfy the curiosities of the viewers, we were quoted 70,000 VND for a small cuttle fish and 100,000 VND for a bigger cuttle fish (S$1 = 13,000 VND).
Of course we did not buy.
It was only later that Adrian found out that for the locals, the price for a 1kg of grilled cuttle fish is only 300,000 VND.

wow.... Weehow, Steve. you guys sure have a lot of energy from the recent departure! hahahaha Weehow, hope to see you travelougue soon!

*steve, your photos are not noisy at all! it is so sharp!

- Melvin Tan

Hey WHow, Mr Pow, you guys sure are fast! i haven't even posted this thread in our thank you email yet and you guys are already here! Yes very tiring but fun and eventful trip, thank you everyone for your support! WHow, hope you got enough time to pp your photos to continue your travellogue, it sounds like it's gonna be as tiring as the actual trip itself, if not more! haha

I believe we all need at least another few more days to recover and pp before posting and sharing here, your photos and travellogues will be a good guide to people who wish to visit North Vietnam :)

I'll post more pix in the days to come... good job everyone!

wow.... Weehow, Steve. you guys sure have a lot of energy from the recent departure! hahahaha Weehow, hope to see you travelougue soon!

*steve, your photos are not noisy at all! it is so sharp!

- Melvin Tan

Adrian, hahatan... haha... Actually going for SgTrekker's trip is not so simple one.
Got to prepare like siao mentally and physically before the trip.
During the trip got to be very on and walk and walk, wake up early and sleep (ahem...) later.
During bus trips, train trips, plane trips got to work on laptop to select photos & start PP-ing.
Come back home got to work triply hard to PP and post photos.

SereneXMM #3
These are my first attempt at IR shots from the cabin. C&C are most welcome!

4687019205_0571366208_b.jpg

SereneXMM #4
I like colours. Hence, l purposely painted them with more colours.

4687648390_b2a4b20050_b.jpg

Last edited:
SereneXMM #3
These are my first attempt at IR shots from the cabin. C&C are most welcome!

4687019205_0571366208_b.jpg

SereneXMM #4
I like colours. Hence, l purposely paint them with more colours.

4687648390_b2a4b20050_b.jpg

Hi Serene,

i like the first shot, wonderful perspectives and interesting colour mix. However, is that a little bit of reflection from the window i see? can't be helped i suppose? Anyhow still very nice la! :)

T R A V E L O G U E - Day 2 Hanoi

True to the spirit of the team, we woke up very early the next day to make our way to Ba Dinh Square outside the Ho Chih Minh Mausoleum, smack right in the centre of Hanoi.
Our main purpose was to capture the Vietnamese Guards marching pass and their daily Flag Raising Ceremony.
Ba Dinh Square is a huge parade square.
Early in the morning 5:30am there were already many local residents there, both old and young, doing their exercises.
They look even more energetic and alert than me myself.

limwhow #11 and limwhow #12 (insert)
"Ok, ladies & gentlemen, please unload from the bus. On the left side you can see the Mausoleum. It's 5:30am now. You have until 6am to roam around and do your own shooting."
"At 6am I will be at the best spot that I have recce-ed for you all to shoot the flag bearers. Meet me there,"
instructed Adrian.

4685902004_229ff7a651_b.jpg
4685919980_abdf715af0_m.jpg

limwhow #13
Tommy, the Vietnamese guide, said: "Ok, later when the Guards march past, every one must stand up and cannot squat down, to show respect."
Adrian: "Nowadays they have new rulings - we have to stand after the stretch of white lines to observe the march past, when previously the photographers could stand very near to the Guards."
4685271481_a3670d5486_b.jpg

limwhow #14
We all roamed the parade square. Both SereneXMM and I were a little lost at first, not knowing what to shoot.
Then I saw this old man with a plastic bag under his arm, walking close up to the main door of the Mausoleum, clasped his hands, closed his eyes and muttered a prayer.
I was a little surprised. But then it begun to set in - this must be an old Vietnamese soldier, who was probably under the command and leadership of Ho Chih Minh the Leader.
And he was merely here to pay his respect and to reminiscent the old days of the war.
4684019973_ed2c554beb_b.jpg

limwhow #15
And here is a young comrade of the Vietnamese Guards.
They were very cute, the way they would hold up their loud speakers and shoo off those who step over the white line just before the flag raising ceremony began.
4684022995_ed0a9f00cb_b.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Serene,

i like the first shot, wonderful perspectives and interesting colour mix. However, is that a little bit of reflection from the window i see? can't be helped i suppose? Anyhow still very nice la! :)
Thank you very much. In no.1, that's the glare that's very typical of IR shots, not the reflection from the window la!:bsmilie:

Last edited:
[
Don't ask me where is this place.. cos I am just trying out on the iso 6400 for the nite shot

what happened? :dunno: