Photographers who shoot for a living, do you batch process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiGdUb

Apr 24, 2006
i was at my friend's actual wedding day as a 'brother', and the photographer informed me that he usually set some defaults in his photo editor and batch process all the day's shots, including the morning ones. i'm thinking, like that might as well tell my friend that he could have taken the cheaper package that does not include post processing and he do it himself, since he can do the batch processing and print himself anyway which would have saved him a bit.

Batch Processing would mean Post Processing as well. Although you can batch using your preset, usually, some shots would need to be tweaked individually due to different exposure, WB etc to make the entire session look constant.

Yes, I do batch processing for event shots only but there's definitely some where I need to tweak individually. Apart from saving time, presets are good to give my photos that signature look throughout. Besides, I have to check through the photos (trashing the CMI ones etc) too to make sure when it reaches the hands of my clients, they're all good and consistent. Now, this would go under post processing too for me.

Last edited:
Oh BTW, for me, I only shoot to RAW and post processing does not involve Photoshop. That will be considered as Digital Imaging.

I do batch process for stuff like adding borders or watermarks. For other touch up, etc, colour casts, cropping, I individually tweak each foto.

i was at my friend's actual wedding day as a 'brother', and the photographer informed me that he usually set some defaults in his photo editor and batch process all the day's shots, including the morning ones. i'm thinking, like that might as well tell my friend that he could have taken the cheaper package that does not include post processing and he do it himself, since he can do the batch processing and print himself anyway which would have saved him a bit.

You live by batch processing when you shoot for a living, but that doesn't mean we don't do individual touch-ups.

I wouldn't suggest that you tell your friend to do it himself because there is a lot of creativity that goes into post-processing, which includes batch processing. And he might offend the photographer.

The main issue here is copyright. Permission of the photographer is necessary under copyright law in most circumstances for copying or other manipulation of a photograph. If your friend has the photographer's permission to do post processing himself, then maybe it would have been better for his situation.

How important is wedding photography to your friend? If it's important then let the photographer have creative reign over the pictures. If it's not that important, ask the photographer before the event.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.