Perth 10-12 days trip!

Your itenary seems quite packed. Have you estimated the distance to drive on goggle map and how long you going to say at each place?

I suggest you stay a few days in Margeret River and use it as a base to visit the caves, Cape Leeuwin and Winerys. You can always buy the wine and drink it at the comfort of your accom at night after dinner.
Xanadu Winery is quite good. You can also check out Leeuwin Estate. Not sure if it's harvest time. They have a tour that you can see the process from grape to wine.

Get a bigger car like what mtunlinn suggested and always keep to the speed limits.

If you are looking to shoot sunset, be prepared to drive at night as it gets dark very fast. Off my head, Busselton Jetty and Cape Leeuwin lighthouse should be good for sunset. I can post some pictures if you are interested.

hmm... i intend to take abt 5 days 4 nights to handle the south journey excluding pinnacle, perth and fremantle... think should be sufficient?

Hi,

Just some recommendation. Not sure if it is useful to you or not.

1. You can consider downloading "NavFree" as a GPS Map to navigate your way if you are bringing along a iPAD or iPhone. You will also need to get a data plan over there in order to use that. It's quite accurate. My family and I used that to navigate our trip from Perth to Albany. There are some places where the signal are abit weak but most of the time, we are able to navigate with it accurately. Be sure to download the Australia & New Zealand one.
2. Karri Valley Resort is a place that you might want to consider. The resort is located in the woods and you can experience living in the woods. Managed to took a few good pictures of "Kookaburra" pictures while staying there for a night before moving to Albany. This is the link: Karri Valley Resort
3. You might want to consider visiting the Wind Farm in Albany. Sunset should be quite nice.

All the best for your trip and most importantly, have a good time. :)

Benjamin.

thanks for the tips Benjamin! :)

hmm... i intend to take abt 5 days 4 nights to handle the south journey excluding pinnacle, perth and fremantle... think should be sufficient?

I think should be sufficient but quite rushed. Do tae note of the travel distances as it will eat into your time for sight seeing. You would spend almost the whole day travelling from Margeret River to Karri River Resort in Pemberton and then Albany. When you stop along the way to take pictures, the time needed would extend even more.

I just remembered I have a blog on one of my previous trips there. It covers the Southwestern Corner in 10 days.
Project Perth Day 1 – 25 Oct 2008 | Codex of Ultimate Wisdom

I think should be sufficient but quite rushed. Do tae note of the travel distances as it will eat into your time for sight seeing. You would spend almost the whole day travelling from Margeret River to Karri River Resort in Pemberton and then Albany. When you stop along the way to take pictures, the time needed would extend even more.

I just remembered I have a blog on one of my previous trips there. It covers the Southwestern Corner in 10 days.
Project Perth Day 1 – 25 Oct 2008 | Codex of Ultimate Wisdom

thanks robotech! really nice blog with awesome pic!

btw, why u choose pemberton as a reststop between albany to MR? why not walpole instead?

thanks robotech! really nice blog with awesome pic!

btw, why u choose pemberton as a reststop between albany to MR? why not walpole instead?

We stayed at Pemberton as the next day we were going to the sand dunes and the operator picks up at Pemberton.
Glad you like the pictures. Hope the blog helps you in your planning.

I just came back from Perth, 10 days to south-western including Esperance which is very far (480km) from Albany. Most people will stop at Albany but Esperance has the nicest beach (lucky bay is 2nd best beach in Australia) and great ocean drive is stunning. IMO it's the best of the trip. But drive from Albany to Esperance is extremely boring, nothing to see along the way.

For car rental, Car Rental Perth WA has the best value. I spend lots of time searching for best deal and nothing beats bayswater. Other rentals have many hidden cost like very high insurance excess, lots of taxes, some unlimited mileage, very confusing. For the cheapest car like Getz/Rio/Nissan March if you add the taxes and reduce the high insurance excess, it can cost more than a collora at bayswater.

Bayswater is no fuss, excess is fixed at $300 and you only pay for overseas drivers license and remote place usage (which you will not need if stop at Albany). They only use Collora which is reliable and low fuel consumption, note that it's different from the altis here. I pay $530 for a new collora hatch with mileage below 9000km. 10 days usage and average fuel consumption is around 15km/l. $38 a day ($33 for older car), overseas license $50, remote usage $100.

For GPS I use google map on my android phone. Pre-cache map before I leave as some roads have no signals (google map needs internet connection). I only use it when getting out of my location and when I'm at my destination town looking for my accommodation. For places of interest, ALL vineyards/chocolate factory/cheese factory have road signs, needless to say attractions/beaches. So it's easy to navigate.

Last edited:
We stayed at Pemberton as the next day we were going to the sand dunes and the operator picks up at Pemberton.
Glad you like the pictures. Hope the blog helps you in your planning.

yup, thanks! :)

I just came back from Perth, 10 days to south-western including Esperance which is very far (480km) from Albany. Most people will stop at Albany but Esperance has the nicest beach (lucky bay is 2nd best beach in Australia) and great ocean drive is stunning. IMO it's the best of the trip. But drive from Albany to Esperance is extremely boring, nothing to see along the way.

For car rental, Car Rental Perth WA has the best value. I spend lots of time searching for best deal and nothing beats bayswater. Other rentals have many hidden cost like very high insurance excess, lots of taxes, some unlimited mileage, very confusing. For the cheapest car like Getz/Rio/Nissan March if you add the taxes and reduce the high insurance excess, it can cost more than a collora at bayswater.

Bayswater is no fuss, excess is fixed at $300 and you only pay for overseas drivers license and remote place usage (which you will not need if stop at Albany). They only use Collora which is reliable and low fuel consumption, note that it's different from the altis here. I pay $530 for a new collora hatch with mileage below 9000km. 10 days usage and average fuel consumption is around 15km/l. $38 a day ($33 for older car), overseas license $50, remote usage $100.

For GPS I use google map on my android phone. Pre-cache map before I leave as some roads have no signals (google map needs internet connection). I only use it when getting out of my location and when I'm at my destination town looking for my accommodation. For places of interest, ALL vineyards/chocolate factory/cheese factory have road signs, needless to say attractions/beaches. So it's easy to navigate.

hi, thanks for the info! :D

i am also planning to get collora from bayswatercarrental, the hatchback one.
How u plan ur fuel ar? as in where got pump and all that?
also, how much fuel cost per day? rough estimate?

the map... hmm... i have gps... but dun know how accurate it is... if i use my iphone... not sure accurate or not... and no data plan... if it a die die must go get data plan?

the map... hmm... i have gps... but dun know how accurate it is... if i use my iphone... not sure accurate or not... and no data plan... if it a die die must go get data plan?

You will pass by many small towns and almost all of these towns have fuel, I encounter only 1 town do not have petrol station. Average town to town distance is at most 150km. But to be safe, I pump when I reach a town with around 3/8 tank left. There will be signs along the way to indicate distance to next service. For the town without fuel, there's a huge warning sign before you leave the town before it. Bad thing about small towns is expensive fuel, so pump full before you leave perth. Fuel price around 149 in perth but small town can be as high as 168.

GPS will be accurate enough, don't worry, lots of road signs to guide you. I always get a pre-paid sim in the country I go, much cheaper call and data rate.

And FYI, every town has public toilet, you won't miss it. Oz are great drivers so do follow their driving culture, you will enjoy it. When you are out of city, you won't see any traffic lights, only roundabouts, so observe how they drive and follow.

Hi there,

For fuel prices, you can check FuelWatch - Home
I use google map to identify the service stations as what they may call it. My garmin gps will also point me the nearest station should I need it. Just take note that the city petrol are cheaper compared to those along the highway or outside of town, so I make it a point to pump full in the city.

I was at Perth last September.
Beautiful....
Going again this year!

hmm... not v interested in Dolphin though, just read that that place is famous for that... so....

anyway, i plan to go like this, can everyone help me to see if the plan is ok?

perth -> busselton Jetty (Going by coastal)

bussetlon Jetty - > lake cave

Lake cave -> mammoth cave

mammoth cave -> eagle heritage center (MR)

eagle heritage center -> xanadu winery (MR)

xanadu winery -> jewel cave

jewel cave -> cape leeuwin

cape leeuwin -> water wheel

water wheel -> denmark

denmart -> valley of the giant

valley of the giant -> some chocolate farm

chocolate farm -> blue berry farm

blue berry farm -> albany

albany -> natural gap

natural gap -> blow hole

blow hole -> middelton beach

middleton beach -> whale world

whale world -> brig amity

brig amity ->fremantle market

fremantle market -> round house

round house -> fremantle fishing harbour

fremantle fishing harbour -> caversham wildlife park

caversham wildlife park -> pinnacle

pinnacle -> perth (kings park... etc etc)

Your itinerary sounds pretty comprehensive :)
I haven't been to all the places, but it seems (at first glance) to be do-able with the 10-12 days you've got.
I liked Busselton Jetty, Lake Cave, Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse, Valley of the Giants, M.River Chocolate Factory, Albany coastline, etc

Been there last Nov and love it.

You may also want to consider Bartholomew's Meadery - best honey farm and they sell various kind of honey and also must try honey wine...

At Fremantle - you may also want to go visit Fremantle prison. Also dont forget Fremantle Market only open on Weekend so take note. Lastly dont miss out eating nice sea food and best fish and chip in Fremantle. The 2 famous one are Kailis Fish Market Cafe and Cicerellos.
Lastly at Fremnatle try out this famous breakfast cafe shop call Gino's Cafe.

My advise is during touring Perth City and Fremantle you can go by train and foot thus save some money on car rental and parking.

At Perth, should go try out the best pizza ever, Little Caesars Pizzeria and Ciao Italia - Italian Restaurant Perth

If you go to Albany, you could take a look at this motel call Emu Point Motel & Apartments, best Service and friendly staffs I have ever met.
Whale world is a must to visit in Albany and also wind farm.

If you stay at Emu Point Motel & Apartments, behind it got a nice quiet bleach which you can take photo and play there.

Caversham Wildlife Park is nice but there is another which may also consider cause the park allow people to freely touch their animal and animal foods are provided for you to feed them, it is call Pentland Alpaca Stud & Tourist Farm

When at Cervantes you wont have must choice of place to stay but I would recommend Cervantes Pinnacles Caravan Park for nice friendly and services staff and cheap price.

Touring Pinnacles will seem boring and meaningless unless you get a local guide whom could tell you the history and also hidden and best spot to take photo. You could look for Mike which is my local guide at The Pinnacles Western Australia

Lastly my advise is look at the sun rise and sun set timing (Perth's Sunrise and Sunset Times) as this will allow you to plan your driving distance and when to set off. As everyone advise pls do not drive during dusk or early morning as it is very dangerous.

As for petrol price, whenever you pass by petrol station there is a big sign board telling you the petrol price, look out for it and you will get to know the general price is and which one will be cheaper. General thumb of rule is petrol cost slightly cheaper in city/town but when at rural price will go up.

Last of all remember to bring UV cream..

Last edited:
I was there last November, I brought along a spare android phone and bought 2 a$2 a day pre paid sim cards, we has 2 cars and used the unlimited data, SMS and local calls for a total of a$4 a day. Driving in the outback all signals will be lost, no phone, no data and no radio. Only the gps will work.

I was there last November, I brought along a spare android phone and bought 2 a$2 a day pre paid sim cards, we has 2 cars and used the unlimited data, SMS and local calls for a total of a$4 a day. Driving in the outback all signals will be lost, no phone, no data and no radio. Only the gps will work.

this sim card is under optus right?

wow u must be really out in the woods... Kimberly region? most areas were GSM enabled back then other than the outback areas where CDMA is still a must.

woah guys, thanks a lot for all the comprehensive information! i just finished busselton and now currently in margaret river, tomorrow i am going to do the 3 caves, and a light house, if got time, i will be going to a winery as well, very ambitious, hahahaha

updates: margaret river: head towards prevelly, surfer point road, go right in, u will see a very stunning beautiful beach, remember to go for sunset! ur will like it! bring windbreaker, jacket, etc etc, it is damned cold and windy there! haha

thanks once again for all the helpful tips, i will update as and when there is something interesting here :)