People who ask for your criticism want only praise

People who ask for your criticism want only praise

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to hear the truth. If it's nice, it'd do my confidence good to be able to post more. however i'd also like to know how to improve on it.

If it sucks, please say so too, but also teach beginners and country pumpkins like me how to improve, like angles, composition, technical details, cropping etc.

And most importantly, must not be personal and try to add a bit of tact.

From a beginner's viewpoint.;)

I think Quacks hit a point here... critiques with tactfulness incorporated... :light:

sometimes, in our eagerness to let the person know that his/her shot can be improved better via this way, that way, we come across too strongly, too forcefully.... and forget to be objective and tactful to help, not stun, growth.

besides, confidence can be easily shaken when this happen too many times.. :eek:

Originally posted by Quacks
I'd like to hear the truth. If it's nice, it'd do my confidence good to be able to post more. however i'd also like to know how to improve on it.

If it sucks, please say so too, but also teach beginners and country pumpkins like me how to improve, like angles, composition, technical details, cropping etc.

And most importantly, must not be personal and try to add a bit of tact.

From a beginner's viewpoint.;)

i wholly agree.. sometimes theres posts with no comments hence ppl post elsewhere..
nothing but the truth though sometimes it hurts

Hmm to me i feel tat onli negative remarks will bring abt improvement... i am veri new to phtography... n i am definelty learning.. n i dun expect to take good pic in my 2 week into photography...

When i do post pic .. i sincferely wans negative feedback ...
Negative feedback as in telling me why it is no good.. n now to improve.. n not merely by saying..."i think it is terrible(FULLSTOP)" etc.

I wish people will stop posting "thumbups", "great shots", when the pics actually sucks... seen quite a number...

I wish too that more comments and critiques will be given, not just praises. Maybe for once, I should start doing so myself, giving my own version of how I interpret the pics posted and how I feel it should be which may look better.
They (my comments) may not mean much or even be technically or photographically correct, but it's just a small way to let you know how normal people like me perceive your pics...

yo bro, agree with you.
but just take note that after all, you'll know the best what effects, mood and meaning you want to portray in your photographs. So do not take others' comments that seriously and rigidly. Think through the comments and consider yourself next time when you shoot.
Originally posted by SouL81
Hmm to me i feel tat onli negative remarks will bring abt improvement... i am veri new to phtography... n i am definelty learning.. n i dun expect to take good pic in my 2 week into photography...

When i do post pic .. i sincferely wans negative feedback ...
Negative feedback as in telling me why it is no good.. n now to improve.. n not merely by saying..."i think it is terrible(FULLSTOP)" etc.

Originally posted by SniperD
I think good or bad, people will still want to hear something about where they have done right and where they have gone wrong. By posting up, it's already an invitation to comment, like it or not.

So.... in my honest opinion, take everything in with a pinch of salt and see what's useful to improve yourself from the comments.

Praises and critiques both I want. If not, how to improve..;p :D
:thumbsup:
As individuals, we all need our fair share of the good and the bad. The critical feedback is there to offer us a possible "better way/style/shot". The praises and good things said give us the motivation to go on.

Sure, there are those narcissistic ones who are justing looking for applause to feed their egos. So what? They aspire the rest of us to do better.... sometimes. But if their shots are yucky, doesn't that show the rest of us how good we are?
:cool:

praise or kena trash, it is still better than people who can crap whole day and not show a photo. taking in negative comments is better than not having them at all, how u going to learn? read other ppl's post? forget it...

I am my biggest critic. So if my photos pass my own QC, I really do wish people would say they're "nice".

So if people criticise (constructive or otherwise), I'm not so much bothered about the quality of my photos itself, but rather I didn't criticise myself hard enough! :p

[Heh, good excuse for protecting my ego, lah]

But truthfully, I feel that in all my years of shooting, I still haven't found a favourite shot yet. Pretty ordinary, at best. Nothing realy impressive.

FWIW, I have a modest online gallery. http://www.pbase.com/synapseman

Originally posted by MaGixShOe
praise or kena trash, it is still better than people who can crap whole day and not show a photo. taking in negative comments is better than not having them at all, how u going to learn? read other ppl's post? forget it...

Oops!!! that sounds bit like me but it's not that i haven't posted, haven't had a decent shot (in my opinion) to post yet. and lack the courage!!! ;p

Looking forward to the day i do post and get tactful and helpful critiques for the experts (and beginners) here...

However, like to add that when u read other pple's posts, u actually can learn from other pple's mistake or work of art. right? :)

I agree with the majority, honest and constructive critiques help us to improve and sharpen our skills. No hard feelings, whether it’s a good or bad comment, art is subjective after all. Even the world class artist gets a few knocks on their work occasionally. :confused:

Just have to learn how to handle critiques given by others positively.

One way to mange yr ego, is to visit your critic’s gallery and assess his/her work. I valued both good and bad comments from skilled photographers, by my standard. That will motivate me to pursue for excellence. If the comments come from so-so photographer, again by my standard, just take it with a pinch of salt. Sometimes, so-so photographers can give very constructive criticism and I like that. Personally, I take it that my work has failed to reach the public (photographers and general audience).

Often, my non-photographic friends tell me that my work should appear to both photographers and general audience, then I can consider it as successful. Can agree to a certain extend……:rolleyes:

Personally, I like to interact thru my pictures with people out there who share the same passion as me.
:rbounce:

So here's my learning field:

---Welcome to view my portfolio (still infancy stage)----
<http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=688492>

:)

50/50..........

There are some who are after some praise...be it for confidence building or reassurance that their techniques/pictures work.

There are some who are all out for negative criticism....nothing but for the betterment of their work/art/pictures....

So since its grey, i guess there couldnt be just 2 answers rite? =p

I noticed some pple may feel that negative non constructive comments are unless since they dun offer any feedback, but ever looked at it this way.....

As in the viewer probably couldn't make out the pic in accordance to the caption or somewhere along the line he/she felt it didnt work for him n decides to drop a less than tactful reply.....(with or without the intention) to the person asking for comments. But feedback wise, he/she would have wanted to help but couldnt suggest any better ideas for improvement hence just stopped there......

Then sometimes there the challange to the critics like, since u have so much comments, show us ur work! I personally feel that one being a critic need not be a great photographer for that matter....isnt it so ? Look at the movie goers or rather urself when u last said a movie sucked, or something bad for that matter den imagine how would it have felt it u were contested by the director, "Hey if u were all that great, make a movie for us to enjoy then.....!"

With such comments, the critics (esp those who are not so good in photography, would be scared off.....imho.)

If all else matters, maybe one shld adapt a more positive attitude, and take critics with a pinch of salt like what others have said. After all, if u are happy, thats good enuff. (without the expense of others suffering of cos...)

End of my thoughts...thanks for reading.

:embrass: :bsmilie:

I believe all of us have our own inspiration….

Just be happy and shot what u like, it’s just a reflection of yr thought about the subject matter. In fact there is no right or wrong.

So don’t hv to be too uptight about one or two negative comments. For that matter, I believe, all feedback is just our own humble opinion and everybody is entitled to his own.

Happy shooting… :D

I prefer a constructive discussion/critique over flat praises any day. No doubt, good works deserve to be praised but at the same time, it is best if the praise comes with some insights. Excessive ego is bad for the learning process :)

Tell me what's right with my pictures. But don't forget to tell me what's wrong with my pictures too.

Then I can make pictures that are better.

I think it's not easy to give a good constructive critique...i've tried to sometimes, but all i can think of is 'nice'..which is not v. useful.

Therefore I will appreciate the time and effort someone takes to give feedback. :)

if u post pictures, u haf to accept all sorts of comments, gd or bad...

(this post is rahter old btw..;p)

I'd personally like to hear the TRUTH. If my pic looks good, then a thumbs up will be fine. If it sux, I'd like to hear that too. Of course, I'd be so grateful that you can tell me where it sux so much so I can improve myself.

On the other hand, from a viewers point of view, I wouldn't normally give much comments. Because strangly for me, I sometimes see a pic which I feel it looks great, but I see lotsa comments that the pic isn't that all impressive. I feel I'm not pro enough to give ppl good & constructive comments. Maybe I need to work my way out of the newbie catagory before I can give any good comments on other pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.