Pentax KR vs Sony A55

Which one?

Results are only viewable after voting.

I'd actually say they're close, or at least too close to tell apart when printed or viewed at web-friendly resolutions.

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess by the time I wanna print out poster sized prints I'd have probably moved on to a better camera anyway. Now just planning to take some nice pics to keep as memories. Also plan to take landscape pics. Some of the sunset pics taken here are simply amazing. :thumbsup:

So the high ISO performance of the KR is much better than the A55?

ISO6400 JPEGs (Kr samples not yet avaliable, but linking to the Kx which uses the same sensor and is know be be similar in performance).
Click on the images for a 100% image to see for yourself.

Kx - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/KX/KXINBI06400.HTM

A55 - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA55/AA55INBI06400.HTM

Thanks for sharing your experience with the a55! Hope to see your review soon. =)

Yes actually both camps have very good reasons for buying the camp. Haha. That's why I'm so torn between the 2. But from the poll it seems the A55 is more well received. =)

Er.. if you poll included a Canon or Nikon, the larger user based would sway to that as well, so spending your money based on a poll is frankly rather silly :embrass::)

Last edited:
Yup actually the best way is to see if you can rent the cameras to try it out on a couple of shots and compare. Though I know not very practical, but in my view , still the best . So maybe you can go to those shops that can let you try,put in your own SD card , and then compare the images.

Polling for views is like asking for views on best bubble tea.
I have been hearing about the Koi Tea hype untill I tried it last Sat and I find it not to my own liking.

Hence, the self experience is crucial. :cool:

Thanks for your advice! Btw yes the a33 is in my shopping list too. But I don't really wanna get the a33 cause I know I will just end up drooling at the a55. ;p

So which one did u get in the end?

I have not bought it yet. Just chance upon your thread and now see how others respond to it. :)

For me, if i am buying the SLT, I will buy a33. as I don't need GPS and the additional MPs, and fps. Couple with my intention of getting a portrait friendly 50mm f1.8, the cheaper a33 will help.

Haha decided over a coin toss? So any regrets? :think:
My hands are small so it should be fine. Haha. Yes the ability to use the AA batteries are a draw to me too, but i heard the adapter is not out yet? So the high ISO performance of the KR is much better than the A55?

my mind set on A55 but have not bought yet... LOL.. no stock.. ;p

yes.. i read the batt adapter is not out yet..

if u r pixel peeper like me.. KR high iso perfomance is much better than A55.. in my eyes tho..
check imaging resource
my thought is, if u r not a peeper or u r outdoor type of person taking pics in daylight.. then it doesnt matter much..

ISO6400 JPEGs (Kr samples not yet avaliable, but linking to the Kx which uses the same sensor and is know be be similar in performance).
Click on the images for a 100% image to see for yourself.

Kx - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/KX/KXINBI06400.HTM

A55 - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA55/AA55INBI06400.HTM

Er.. if you poll included a Canon or Nikon, the larger user based would sway to that as well, so spending your money based on a poll is frankly rather silly :embrass::)

I have used the comparisons from Imaging Resource as well. To be honest, It's totally untrue, especially for Sony cameras.

If you notice, all ISO1600 and above for Sony are all blur, no details, no sharpness and lots of noise.

When I look at my A55 and 60D at ISO1600 to ISO6400, I can dare to say the details, sharpness and noise does not lose out to the canon, in fact it retains details better.

BTW, we also do not buy camera based on review websites, not only from poll results.

P.S: if you compare the Kx to D700 using Imaging resource, you will see that Kx can actually fight against the FF very well, even up till ISO6400....which we know in real life, it's quite impossible.

Last edited:
I have used the comparisons from Imaging Resource as well. To be honest, It's totally untrue, especially for Sony cameras.

If you notice, all ISO1600 and above for Sony are all blur, no details, no sharpness and lots of noise.

When I look at my A55 and 60D at ISO1600 to ISO6400, I can dare to say the details, sharpness and noise does not lose out to the canon, in fact it retains details better.

BTW, we also do not buy camera based on review websites, not only from poll results.

P.S: if you compare the Kx to D700 using Imaging resource, you will see that Kx can actually fight against the FF very well, even up till ISO6400....which we know in real life, it's quite impossible.

To reject photo samples as a buying guide makes it hard/impossible to form any basis for objective evaluation.
Not that I don't believe you that Imagine Resource can be wrong on the A55 samples.
If you have results that show otherwise, you can certainly present the o/p you have for the benefit of everyone.

Here is the comparometer sample from DP review. If you compare it to the 60D (as you have claimed) and to a NEX5 and Kx, you'd still see the same thing.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta55/page16.asp

Edit : Don't get me wrong here. If you can prove that IR is not a reasonable site to use, I would be glad to know.

Last edited:
Swivel lcd
10fps
Fastest autofocus live view
Best af in video

I think i better not continue, the list will be too long :p

Side note: my female friends absolutely LOVE my A55, cos the swivel lcd allows them to take self portraits. i donno whats the deal with girls and self portraits though, i wanted to take photos of them but they simply wobt let me, yet they love to take my a55 and take self portraits *rolls eyes*

my mind set on A55 but have not bought yet... LOL.. no stock.. ;p

yes.. i read the batt adapter is not out yet..

if u r pixel peeper like me.. KR high iso perfomance is much better than A55.. in my eyes tho..
check imaging resource
my thought is, if u r not a peeper or u r outdoor type of person taking pics in daylight.. then it doesnt matter much..

Oh is it? Which shop did u try that has no stock? So popular ah this camera? Haha. Nope I'm not much of a pixel peeper I guess. Pictures would be mostly for facebook and for keepsake. The memory is more important to me than the actual quality(as long as it's not too bad of course!).

Oh is it? Which shop did u try that has no stock? So popular ah this camera? Haha. Nope I'm not much of a pixel peeper I guess. Pictures would be mostly for facebook and for keepsake. The memory is more important to me than the actual quality(as long as it's not too bad of course!).

MS Color, SLRR and Cathay Photo too... it was last week tho..

then either camera will be good for u..

anyway check this comparison.. of coz with a pinch of salt
some misleading tho on the comparison.. A55 has 1 storage slot instead of 2, as stated.. and for high iso.. we did comment, which is better..

happy deciding.. ;)

Last edited:
some misleading tho on the comparison.. A55 has 1 storage slot instead of 2, as stated..

I think they said 2 because it's a dual-compatible slot.

Apparently in dpreview, the 60D has the edge over A55 in retaining details at high iso ><!
If you view the image comparison chart.

Interesting. The KR is catching up in the poll!

okay managed to get a quotation for the A55 $1140 with kit lens. will wait for sitex to look see if got any better deals. =)

Edit: Sorry didn't realise that the 7% GST not added yet. =(

Last edited:
it really depends on what u need.

i bought my a55 and brought it along my trip to japan.
what i could say is i am very happy using it as i am able to get alot of usable shots even as a newbie to photography.
even my wife was able to use the camera without any difficultly, which is simply amazing.
she also likes to use it to take self take shots using the live view, which was very fast and convenient.
i have taken photos out from the bullet train as well, and yes no surprise there are usable shots too, with excellent focus.
and the video is really the best in its range or even more in fact, which we used to take the fireworks at disneyland.
so overall for my family usage it was a great choice, with no regrets.

but during my time at japan, i visted the camera stores there and saw them having a fantastic range of pentax k-r.
i tell u, its a full range, no kidding here.
the camera was like rainbow colored.
not only the body has several colors to choose from
even the lens has different colors as well as the rings, dials, rubber, etc etc
it was like A TOY. :eek:
but tons of females love it, including my wife who said she wouldnt mind me buying one for her. :sweat:
well seeing is believing so here's a link
http://www.petapixel.com/2010/05/11/pentax-unleashes-rainbow-dslr-on-japan/

well end decision is all yours

it really depends on what u need.

i bought my a55 and brought it along my trip to japan.
what i could say is i am very happy using it as i am able to get alot of usable shots even as a newbie to photography.
even my wife was able to use the camera without any difficultly, which is simply amazing.
she also likes to use it to take self take shots using the live view, which was very fast and convenient.
i have taken photos out from the bullet train as well, and yes no surprise there are usable shots too, with excellent focus.
and the video is really the best in its range or even more in fact, which we used to take the fireworks at disneyland.
so overall for my family usage it was a great choice, with no regrets.

but during my time at japan, i visted the camera stores there and saw them having a fantastic range of pentax k-r.
i tell u, its a full range, no kidding here.
the camera was like rainbow colored.
not only the body has several colors to choose from
even the lens has different colors as well as the rings, dials, rubber, etc etc
it was like A TOY. :eek:
but tons of females love it, including my wife who said she wouldnt mind me buying one for her. :sweat:
well seeing is believing so here's a link
http://www.petapixel.com/2010/05/11/pentax-unleashes-rainbow-dslr-on-japan/

well end decision is all yours

thanks a lot for your contribution. nice to know that the a55 is easy to use even for a newbie. i am a newbie myself. haha.

and omg the colourful pentax looks awesome! a pity only 1000 of those are made. they're probably all snapped up by now. =(

okay managed to get a quotation for the A55 $1140 with kit lens. will wait for sitex to look see if got any better deals. =)

Edit: Sorry didn't realise that the 7% GST not added yet. =(

Hi leroyishere, which shop quoted $1140(b4 GST) for the a55?

Pray tell.:angel: