Pentax K10D REVIEW at Dpreview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi FengWei,

what software do you use to process your pictures?
I have not done anything with RAW files before and would like to learn.
BTW, do you work at NUS?

Thanks

I use SilkyPix to process my RAW files mostly, and sometimes do use CS2 as well. You can download the trial version of SilkyPix and see if you like it, and I think its price is quite reasonable.

Yes, I work at NUS :) And I'm sure we can hook up sometimes if you'd like to meetup there ;)

Cheers,

I wonder how dpreview grade the Highly Recommeded band. If you sum up the ratings, Sony A-100 got 50 and gets a Highly Recommeded, but K10D got 52 and is Highly Recommeded(just). D80 has 53, only 1 point higher.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk10d/page25.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/page30.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond80/page29.asp

I think Phil gives a higher weightage rating to Image Quality.
After all, a camera is about image quality first. :)

I think Phil gives a higher weightage rating to Image Quality.
After all, a camera is about image quality first. :)

Yeah, K10D's image quality is actually on par w/ Nikon D200, but Phil didn't emphasize this, but rather emphasized its default JPG output quality. The K10D is capable of making great photos afterall, especially if you shoot in RAW.

Well, if you only like to shoot in jpg, then maybe you should wait for a while and see if Pentax would release a firmware update and get this fixed. Oh better yet, get a Nikon D80, it's an excellent camera, and I've persuaded my brother to get one D80 for himself ;)

I for one like what the K10D produced so far :)

Well, if you only like to shoot in jpg, then maybe you should wait for a while and see if Pentax would release a firmware update and get this fixed. Oh better yet, get a Nikon D80, it's an excellent camera, and I've persuaded my brother to get one D80 for himself ;)

I have decided to get the D80 actually, if u look at the thread i started here: http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=243932 ;)

I use SilkyPix to process my RAW files mostly, and sometimes do use CS2 as well. You can download the trial version of SilkyPix and see if you like it, and I think its price is quite reasonable.

Yes, I work at NUS :) And I'm sure we can hook up sometimes if you'd like to meetup there ;)

Cheers,

Thanks.

Oh yeah... I work at NUS as well.
I'm a beginner in dslr and would like to get some practice.

eh. howcome you still read this subforum then? ;)
Because the users here are friendly people? ;)

For me, I browse Canon and Nikon forums to keep up to date and even answer queries there occasionally.

In my K10D, the file size of a photo increases as one lowers the contrast by -1. (and decreases with each +1)

Contrast = -1,-2,-3 also seems to increase the camera's dynamic range but reduces colour saturation. I feel that contrast = -1 is a good compromise between colour saturation and dynamic range, but I have yet to test this intensively.

Can someone too try out my theory?

So u bought the D80 already?
I think I'll settled on D80 too. It might take quite a while for Pentax to correct the problem.
By then it could be K20D :sweat:

No, i'm waiting for my bonus b4 i can buy the D80. :sweat:

I think the Pentax soft jpeg is not really an issue lar. Itz more of a personal preference. :think:

K10D having the empashis on texture rather than up-sharpening for the edges, the image gets more depth, this also helps with make it more film like with the smooth graduation. This was "by design". It is a features, not a problem.

In my K10D, the file size of a photo increases as one lowers the contrast by -1. (and decreases with each +1)

Contrast = -1,-2,-3 also seems to increase the camera's dynamic range but reduces colour saturation. I feel that contrast = -1 is a good compromise between colour saturation and dynamic range, but I have yet to test this intensively.

Can someone too try out my theory?

Nice finding. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

set the ISO to iso200 may increase DR but dpreview test it n result is No Change.
or you can try sharpness +2 ,contrast -2,saturation -1 it may help.

I'm glad that the photographers in this forum are better composed unlike those basing I read in dpreview. Man! Didn't think that people can get so emotional over such petty matters. It's just a review man! Get over it. Give me a Nikon, Pentax or Canon, the outcome is as good as the camera man (oops! photographer should be politically correct name as I don;t want to invite bashing like). To me, the edge softness of the jpeg is nothing to cry over it. So what if the edges are softer, as 98% of us don;t print all our pictures beyond 12". I think in a year I only printed about 5 picz beyond 12".

Imagine the wonderful SR (more keepers rate) that make all lenses SR, VR or IS, lower cost for lenses (unlike Canon), free raw software (unlike Nikon),......

I'm not gonna change my mind about getting a K10D. I think those fan boys from N and C camp should be glad that Pentax is upping competition, so that future models from N and C will try (albeit very hard nowadays, due to technology saturation) to widen the gap. By the way, I think Pentax will help Tamron and Sigma to sell more lenses in years to come.

Kudos to Pentax engineers.

I think ppl who had set their mind to buy the K10D shld not worry too much abt the soft jpg issue.
Every brands of DSLR had their own flaws and weak points, especially during the initial stage.
This issue most probably can be resolved via a future firmware upgrade.
Go ahead and buy and keep taking good pics with your new toy.
Buy first, shoot first, worry later. :bsmilie:
Must emphasise, I gain nothing from Pentax by helping them to promote. :sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.