Pentax group overseas trip

hjbyeo

May 5, 2006
East
Guys, it's a pity that this year we have not gone on an overseas trip. The Ledang and Malacca trips were really fun, just see these threads to understand what you may have missed out on.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/pent...-ledang-resort-mt-ophir-15~16-jan-2011-a.html

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/pentax-ricoh/1078029-malacca-trip-photo-sharing-13to14-04-2012-a.html

I propose we start brainstorming 1 for Oct or Nov period and definitely before the school hols, and I propose keeping it to 2 days 1 night or 3 days 2 nights max. Probably 10 - 20 ppl. Otherwise it gets a little difficult to arrange.

Let's get the ideas going? ;)

I got a novel one.
Does not cost much (if at all).

1 Day camping w/ sunrise/sunset shoot at Pulau Ubin. (Or that resort place on Ubin)

There's lots to do :
1. Chek Jawa
2. Granite quarries and general exploration
3. Sunset
4. Night macro
5. Bbq
6. Sunrise

Another one is Bintan.
Safra resort is $2xx off peak (3 rms, 1 kitchen, 1 big living rm)
Ferry is abt $50 (return)

I might not be able to go anywhere from Oct onwards though.

I got a novel one.

1 Day camping w/ sunrise/sunset shoot at Pulau Ubin. (Or that resort place on Ubin)

There's lots to do :
1. Chek Jawa
3. Sunset
4. Night macro
5. Bbq
6. Sunrise

Another one is Bintan.

Bintan seems good, saw lots of good shots from WK, JD, etc. Ubin will be good too since it's really difficult to go for Sunrise or Sunset there if you don't stay over (at least that's what I think).

Alternatives could be to engage Michael to plan and we just do a roll call of who's going.

I was thinking of Penang, but maybe too far, and too much time on the coach/mini bus/car ... I would love to go KSM. The last time I went the entire beach only me taking pictures of rocks and sea. Water was super duper clear. But I recognised that way way too expensive.

Last edited:
Bintan seems good, saw lots of good shots from WK, JD, etc. Ubin will be good too since it's really difficult to go for Sunrise or Sunset there if you don't stay over (at least that's what I think).

Alternatives could be to engage Michael to plan and we just do a roll call of who's going.

I was thinking of Penang, but maybe too far, and too much time on the coach/mini bus/car ... I would love to go KSM. The last time I went the entire beach only me taking pictures of rocks and sea. Water was super duper clear. But I recognised that way way too expensive.

Bintan is an unventured gem.
The water is very clear.
There is not only the Singapore managed Resort area, there is the East facing side that is the 'real Bintan' (Trikora Beach).
Then there is the local town of Tanjung Pinang.

I've been to Trikora beach before, but I was on my bike then.
Clam shells the size of a rugby ball can be found on the more remote parts of the coast.

I've got a colleague who is local.
If there is interest, I can ask him about arrangements.
Stay in cheaper non-SGP resort area can be much cheaper (but less creature comforts).

But as I've said, I may have problems making any other overseas trip (since I've used up my last ticket this month :D )

I haven't shot anything in Bintan actually... Mine was in Batam! :)

Bintan is good, I've been thinking of going over for a while but haven't had the time to plan. Btw, I think it's the rainy season nearer end of the year?

For Ubin, it's not that hard, just as long as you get enough people to make it worthwhile for the bumboat uncles to move off ($30 for chartering whole boat IIRC).

If Penang , I can share the places of "interest" to you guys . Or even show u guys around if I am allow to go

Thanks for the initiative, Bernard. I thought about organising one during March and April, but ended up couldn't make it due to a few guys and myself were pretty busy back then. I'd be busy until ed of Aug, probably can squeeze out a weekend for some shooting fun. Any place is good for me, the only problem is time. Two nights stay out wont be easy :(

Thanks for the initiative, Bernard. I thought about organising one during March and April, but ended up couldn't make it due to a few guys and myself were pretty busy back then. I'd be busy until ed of Aug, probably can squeeze out a weekend for some shooting fun. Any place is good for me, the only problem is time. Two nights stay out wont be easy :(

Can always be a night, FW! It's open for discussion. A day out with Pentax and Ricoh Khakis is always going to be fun!

Nice, Thanks Bernard.
Lets focus the date in one of a weekend in NOV .. Sat/Sun .. OK?

Guys, how about fixing it on the 2nd and 3rd of November? Deepavali I think.

Guys, how about fixing it on the 2nd and 3rd of November? Deepavali I think.

That would be great. I'm thinking of going to Ubin. Every year I would visit the mini island 2-3 times. Be it you are a landscape, wildlife, macro or street photography lover, there's bound to be something you can find interest in. It's relatively easy to get there and inexpensive. But of course Bintan is a nice place as well if someone can bring us around.

Shall we do Pulau Ubin camp shooting as a warm-up? Plus it's always good to escape the noisy city for a while.
I got a novel one.

There's lots to do :
1. Chek Jawa
3. Sunset
4. Night macro
5. Bbq
6. Sunrise

Another one is Bintan.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I can help get discounted bookings at changi chalet ( if there is a Ubin trip) or Bintan resort 3/4 room bungalows (good for 7-9 pax).

I know it's abit early but SIA is offering tix to Surabaya. $188 all in fare, 2 to go.
Travel from 26 July to 31 Aug 2013.
Mount Bromo anyone? ;)

Hi guys, I can help get discounted bookings at changi chalet ( if there is a Ubin trip) or Bintan resort 3/4 room bungalows (good for 7-9 pax).

I know it's abit early but SIA is offering tix to Surabaya. $188 all in fare, 2 to go.
Travel from 26 July to 31 Aug 2013.
Mount Bromo anyone? ;)

bromo is a good suggestion :bsmilie:

Bromo is nice, one of my goal to shoot volcano but may be too much for a new shooter like me... :)

Maybe can "psycho" shioksaki to go ? :D

some other places that can consider, 2D1N maybe Kukup, shooting and eating...? 3D2N take a coach to Cameron Highlands...?