Pentax DSLR Raw Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

airconvent

Apr 12, 2005
Since this subject has been spread over a few threads off-topic, I thought I will start a dedicated one here.

After some advice, I tried raw yesterday but the attempt was a failure. The images were slightly out of focus and appear to have too low constrast from the pc although they look great on the camera display. And there does not seem to be any adjustment available except contracts, hue and sharpness. I am using the default Pentax Photo Laboratory.

I noticed all the raw images take up about 10MB but the moment I saved it into jpeg at the highest setting, the file size drops to 1.6MB which is even worse than the default camera jpg of around 2.5MB...

Can the raw users here do feedback how they process their raw images, their favourite settings and share on the problems they faced ?

Thanks

cheers

Since this subject has been spread over a few threads off-topic, I thought I will start a dedicated one here.

After some advice, I tried raw yesterday but the attempt was a failure. The images were slightly out of focus and appear to have too low constrast from the pc although they look great on the camera display. And there does not seem to be any adjustment available except contracts, hue and sharpness. I am using the default Pentax Photo Laboratory.

I noticed all the raw images take up about 10MB but the moment I saved it into jpeg at the highest setting, the file size drops to 1.6MB which is even worse than the default camera jpg of around 2.5MB...

Can the raw users here do feedback how they process their raw images, their favourite settings and share on the problems they faced ?

Thanks

cheers

Images won't look more "sharp" if they're shot in RAW over JPG.

That's a function of whether what you want to focus on is in focus.

More adjustments become available if you swtich to "Advanced" mode.

JPG size depends upon what is being captured - so 1.6 might be the correct size for what you took.

Try RawShooter | essentials 2006

It is available free here !

Basically, if you want more detail from the k100d, shoot RAW.

It also helps if you got the wrong WB setting, it can be corrected from RAW mode.

Please do take note :- if your picture is already out of focus, the RAW mode does not help much.

i always used raw shooter essentials - it works very nicely with the pentax raw files, and is great for batch, previews, etc etc. and of course, is free.

the sharpening plays havoc with my D2H raw files though, so i just use the pshop raw plugin instead.

the rest is covered by everyone else - if it is out of focus, thats your problem, not the file format or the camera [unless it was broken]
in laymans terms the raw is a dump straight off the chip, thats why its so large.
jpeg by default is a lossy format, so it immediately sees stuff that it thinks you wont see and trashes them, then saves the file.
but what its trashing, quite often, is all the raw data that would give you the space and colour and range of light to work with as a raw file [thats why you can change the colour balance or push or pull a few stops in exposure using the raw file without image degradation].
when its saved as a jpeg its a one way road that is fixed in exposure, colour, wb, etc etc.
thats why the jpeg is so small in comparison.

its like a pack of cards - the raw is the full deck, and saving out a jpeg is like just taking one card from somewhere in the deck and taking it home, ignoring the rest.

i never used Pentax Photo Laboratory, for some reason i never got it in the package and ignored it because i was using raw shooters straight away.
[i'd had a previous raw workflow from my fuji s5000 zoom camera]

Thanks

cheers

free, we go shoot, I being my lappy and teach you the wonders of RAW. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.