Panasonic G1 is out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering since the G1 is using the shutterless assembly....how come the camera x-sync speed is only at 1/160sec since it doesn't have any mechanical shutter....Had it able to sync with the G1 max shutter speed. i can safetly said that this little camera will be wedding photographers most useful tool for outdoor shoot.

it's mirrorless, but not shutterless :)

it's nice, huge LCD.... lol, to me more like a toy. :bsmilie:

anyone can tell me, it seem that the CMOS sensor is turn on all the time else how the EVF get the image? The battery will not last long? any one can explain?

anyone can tell me, it seem that the CMOS sensor is turn on all the time else how the EVF get the image? The battery will not last long? any one can explain?

If you are comparing the battery life of using OVF & EVF, with all things equal... the OVF would win.... :)

If you are comparing the battery life of using OVF & EVF, with all things equal... the OVF would win.... :)

my point is, is the CMOS sensor is on all the time?

I'm just looking for a replacement for my 6-year old CoolPix 5000. LX3 is the equivalent minus the angle free LCD screen. G1 tops the LX3 in terms of expandability, speed and image quality but doesn't do video.

If LX3 comes with an angle free LCD screen, I'd have bought it already. But if the G1 does HD now, I will definitely go for it. Dilemma. Entry or pro level doesn't bother me. Someone suggests I buy the LX3 and dump it later in Spring 2009 for the HD version of the G1. Hmmm... thinking of that.:sweat:

When you dump the lx3 in spring 2009, maybe only half the price then ;)
so you may be endup keeping it :think:

Why comapre the LX3 and the G1? I would compare the G1 to Oly E-410 or something equivalent to that.

I rather think the G1 should be seens as a new product all by itself...just my opinion.

Why comapre the LX3 and the G1? I would compare the G1 to Oly E-410 or something equivalent to that.

I rather think the G1 should be seens as a new product all by itself...just my opinion.

You are right that the G1 is probably closer to the E-410. But E-410 is a down-sized DSLR and the G1 is an upsized pns. As I'm looking for "side-arms" too to complement the DSLRS, I am also comparing the LX3 against the G1.

You are right that the G1 is probably closer to the E-410. But E-410 is a down-sized DSLR and the G1 is an upsized pns. As I'm looking for "side-arms" too to complement the DSLRS, I am also comparing the LX3 against the G1.

The G1 is not really a upsized P&S. Which P&S has interchangeable lenses? I'll say it's in between a bridge camera and DSLR. :bsmilie:

When you dump the lx3 in spring 2009, maybe only half the price then ;)
so you may be endup keeping it :think:

I also say. If I buy G1, probably ends up the same fate. And perhaps harder to sell. In some way, LX3 I could give to someone in the family in Spring 2009. Hmmm....

I also say. If I buy G1, probably ends up the same fate. And perhaps harder to sell. In some way, LX3 I could give to someone in the family in Spring 2009. Hmmm....

Isn't it the same when you buy & sell a electronic equipment.... :(

hi, pls remove the pricing. sensitive. ;)

Sorry, didn't realize the earlier one was RRP. I just saw a price quoted and wondering why the discrepency, especially from the same shop.

Adding some points on the G1, I come from a compact camera background. Tried friend's DSLR and found the following did not suit me:
1. No Live View, or not efficient.
2. Loud when switching on, when taking photos.
3. Weight

The problem I was trying to resolve from compact is mainly
1. Photos in dark conditions, which doesn't work out well with the small compact sensors
2. A bit dull in colours, compared to DSLR pictures.

The G1 seem to provide the best of both worlds. I heard that Panasonic could have made the camera smaller but didn't want a too radical move from traditional DSLR. That's kinda weird, considering their target customers are compact cam users like myself, looking to make the transition but finding even entry level DSLR too big a jump. I guess those coming from DSLR will not find anything special about this camera, only those from compact cam background. And yes, it does deliver on what it's supposed to do.

And when I saw the price (which includes kit lens) and held it, I knew I just had to get it.

Last edited:
First thoughts on the G1 (held E420 for a few months)

1. Smoother matt finishing compared to E420's rough rubbery grip. Scared that it''ll slip out from my sweaty hands. -__-"
2. A handgrip as opposed to the lack of one on the E420.
3. "Live" view is on all the way, should be a big battery drainer. Yet to test out the battery life on the G1 as opposed to the E420.
4. The "Live" view on the main LCD is a delight to see. Very bright. Have not tried it sunny outdoors nor in dark situations, hope it doesn't turn B&W like the E420's.
5. Sensors on the right of the eye cup will detect for objects near eye cup, and when it does, it will automatically switch to the internal viewfinder "Live" view and turn off the main LCD screen. On the E420, switching between viewfinder and main LCD screen has to be done manually.
6. Even when using the viewfinder, "Live" view is used. I still prefer E420's none "Live" view on the viewfinder. (I use the viewfinder a lot more than the main LCD screen as i find that the "Live" view is not as accurate)
7. But because of point 6 that the "Live" view is used in the viewfinder, I can also review my photos discreetly in the viewfinder as well. No more peeping of my photos from people beside me. :p
8. The main LCD screen can be rotated many ways. Extremely useful for self portraits / events.
9. The Mega O.I.S on the kit lens is also welcomed as opposed to none on the Oly 14-45mm.
10. Taking of photos is just as noisy (when taking photos using E420 in "Live" view mode). I was expecting a more silent approach since it's mirrorless? :dunno:
11. The dial operates and sounds very plastic. Prefers the one on the E420 which operates more "solid".

Just doing a quick comparison of my experience with E420. Any violent objections? :sweatsm:

Last edited:
I played with it a little. All I can say is:

KAWAII-NEH!!!!!!

If it did HD video well I might have walked out of the store with one...

Last edited:
If it did HD video well I might have walked out of the store with one...

Same here.

Anyway, if wanna buy - Cathay Photo, M S Color or somewhere else?

The G1 is not really a upsized P&S. Which P&S has interchangeable lenses? I'll say it's in between a bridge camera and DSLR. :bsmilie:

agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.