OSIM Speed Triathlon @ East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Write-up
It was early 9am on a heavy-cast Saturday morning at East Coast Park on . I was asked by my good friend, Ben, to support him in his second triathlon. Ben is on his way to becoming an iron-man. Having completed two triathlons, he is looking better and better in this new sporting craze! Beginning with a 750m swim in the sea, of which he was the first in his group to emerge to begin the next part of his triathlon, a 20km cycle before ending the race with a 5km run. It was really exciting to see Ben overtake even the men from the previous group and eventually even overtook Yihua who started the race two groups before him. Dun let his size fool you! He is a natural speedy marlin fish in the water. He is definitely one of the fastest tri-athletes in the swim segment. Not to mention he is the happiest person before and after the race. Always with his gregarious smile the entire morning. I bet he was even smiling when he was in the water. hahaha!!! Good job, my old pal! Heard that Matt is gonna join him in the next race in Dec.

Set Up
All are taken using Tamron AF 17-50mm f2.8 lens. There was a heavy shadow cast from the entire morning, so most pics were quite dark. I have reduced it to just one photo :)p) that I wish to be critique on. I'm trying out sports photography but find it difficult to capture the moment. Initially I was using Aperture-priority but all the photos were under exposed, and when I switched to Tv-priority, it was much better. I was using ISO100, maybe ISO200 might be better to compensate for the heavy-cast. I was using my flash tilted at 45 degrees down with the Gary Fong's omni-sphere II on.

928940669_5a909f68f5_b.jpg

This is my favorite shot of the entire photo shoot. It captures the sky, the sea, the sands, the supporters and also the tri-athletes as they were getting ready for their swim. It is also shot at an interesting angle which magnifies the mood just before the start of the event. Not to mention that the sponsor, OSIM, is prominently displayed at the foreground. I was trying to be creative and have it taken at an interesting angle. If it were horizontal, I thought it would be boring. Not sure. From where I was standing I was not able to capture their facial expression as they get ready to go into the water.

Please give me your comments on the photo on composition and technique. Thank you. Very minimal PS work, light sharpening and correcting exposure.

Please read the FAQ.

1 picture per week and please provide a write-up on what you want critique on.

Personally, when the sea ain't horizontal, i feel like i need to tilt my head just to see better.

Maybe it's just my preference cause the 45degree on the last photo seems like the world is tilted, den everyone is falling n mashed up at the bottom right hand corner of the photo. i think if it the angle was level it would look great :)

If i were u, i would take more of their faces, wanna capture their facial expressions and emotions, esp. when the start rushing into the water.

Anyway, were u standing among the competitors? can kinda feel the feeling of rushing into the water.

Thread moved from Critique Corner.

Please read guidelines before posting.

Thanks!

-Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.