Oriental Pearl

Status
Not open for further replies.
At f2.0, I find that the DOF is still too shallow, and that's why with her head tilted slightly downwards, your eyes are sharp but her lower third of a her face is OOF, cos they are not on the same focal plane.

For such shots, perhaps a longer lens with a smaller aperture would have given you a sharper face, as well as an acceptable bokeh in the background.

Yeah, everyone's telling me to buy the f/2.8 24-70 or 70-200. I think those produce the sharpest face shots. I guess I have to make do with what I have :) Or probably increase the f stops next time!!

Love the black n white, and relfections bro, :heart:

Thanks bro for your encouragement!!

Hmmm do you have the distance info in the EXIF so that DOF can be calculated?

Anyway, if it is not PP then I would suspect it is your lens too. From your #2 pic, top half of the pic looks normal and we can see details of her hairs. Bottom part, not only her lips & nose are OOF but also her hairs, even though they look like they are on the same focal plane.

Yes I have the same view as you, and prefer the entire face to be in focus in a headshot. :)

Not sure which EXIF is it. But i remember I was standing very close. prob 50-70 cm apart only

Bro, u are using uncommon software for post processing :think:

Anyway, nice shots Bro ! Very good PP. Looks like you have spent much time for that :)

Ha, no la its CS 3. Though the pp took very long, 2 or 3 here were about 4 hrs or more. Very tiring but I hope it still expresses some sort of feeling for the viewers :)

finally get to see it here bro. ;)

Haha yeah, thought I want to process all first before posting.

Yeah, everyone's telling me to buy the f/2.8 24-70 or 70-200. I think those produce the sharpest face shots. I guess I have to make do with what I have :) Or probably increase the f stops next time!!

Thanks bro for your encouragement!!

Bro, your 50mm, if stop down to f2.8, the sharpness wont lose to the L zooms. hehe

Lovely set. You've captured her brilliant smiles & a very characteristic PP you've developed.

Lovely set. You've captured her brilliant smiles & a very characteristic PP you've developed.

Thanks! I usually take some time trying out different angles to see which angle flatters the model the most. Then aim her strong points. It yields better productivity :D shoot less, better images :)

3980570090_7814b80d86_b.jpg

very soothing portraiture,what i like w this is - its happy and fresh feel.btw @ F2.0 the focal plane would be hair thin its normal that ull get this effect when shooting at this distance.

I have seen "unconventional" head-shot that are intentionally done in those effect in which the sharpest point is in the eyes; the rest of the face just fade away beautifully into the unfocused zone.

It is a newer way of shooting portraits; I supposed. But it's nice, especially for someone who has beautiful eyes like your model. 2 & 3 really bring out that effect, and would look more ordinary if done in the traditionally way when everything is sharp.

I am not sure if the sharpest lens is a "must-have". Some portrait photographers still prefer "older lenses" which produce a slight "softness" compared to the "sharpness" of modern lenses.

Other than the hand seems rather too big in pic 6, it's an excellent series.

I've seen other threads by the same model. So far, this is the best, very nice close-up shot :thumbsup:

I have seen "unconventional" head-shot that are intentionally done in those effect in which the sharpest point is in the eyes; the rest of the face just fade away beautifully into the unfocused zone.

It is a newer way of shooting portraits; I supposed. But it's nice, especially for someone who has beautiful eyes like your model. 2 & 3 really bring out that effect, and would look more ordinary if done in the traditionally way when everything is sharp.

I am not sure if the sharpest lens is a "must-have". Some portrait photographers still prefer "older lenses" which produce a slight "softness" compared to the "sharpness" of modern lenses.

Thanks johnlim I guess its kind of luck actually, it was never my intention to bokeh out part of the face initially. But now the more I look at it the more I am drawn towards it. Someone said such a bokeh can "draw" the attention to the eyes, so I totally agree with what you say.

I havent really used older lenses before, but I love to look at photographs that were taken in 1950s, 1960s, quite a number of them were taken with 50 1.4, so its really how the user utilize them with a different perspective and mood.

Nice series, in particular the above 2, love the expressions! :thumbsup:

Thank you, the closeups are my fav too!!

Other than the hand seems rather too big in pic 6, it's an excellent series.

lol the 16-35mm distortion! Thanks!!

I've seen other threads by the same model. So far, this is the best, very nice close-up shot :thumbsup:

Thanks BennHar, I think the one by NineEleven is very good too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.