Opinions on flash or no flash for speech/prize presentation

cichlid

Dec 2, 2006
S'pore
Hi

I'm not a pro but I don't mind doing some photography for my company, sometimes . I would like to get some opinions on whether is it wise not to use flash for shooting speech (person behind rostrum/probably spot light above the speaker) and prize presentation on stage. Most of the time, I don't think the stage will be very bright.

I used to use flash for such events when I was using my D90. Now that I have the D700, I wonder would it be better to go without flash?

Thanks!

what they want is sharp sharp clear clear photos, if you think you can do it without flash with D700, than just do it.

If you never try, you never know. But don't try when good pictures are expected from you.

haha, like that , that means for the company's sake, it's better to get everything bright bright and sharp sharp.

If i want to experiment or have more creativity, do it at my own shoot.

Ok, opinions taken :)

I was on stage once... sitting behind some guy giving a speech. Some die no automatic photographer with bazooka flash kept snapping and flashing away. Damn irritating. Take a few shot and lay off lah... distracting everyone...

I was on stage once... sitting behind some guy giving a speech. Some die no automatic photographer with bazooka flash kept snapping and flashing away. Damn irritating. Take a few shot and lay off lah... distracting everyone...

That's one of the reasons I don't not want to use flash, I want to be as invisible as possible ,haa

clearly not professional,

when there is a speaker giving a speech on stage, you need to get the close up shots with flash you want within the first minutes, and this is what they want also.

when i'm covering events, i'll just grab a few shots and then walk around. there's no point spamming shots because they're all just gonna look the same after a while.

best for events, is to know the flow, then you'd know whether they need you to continuously snap away or just take a few key shots ;)

when i'm covering events, i'll just grab a few shots and then walk around. there's no point spamming shots because they're all just gonna look the same after a while.

best for events, is to know the flow, then you'd know whether they need you to continuously snap away or just take a few key shots ;)

Yes, that's a good point too. No need to waste time going over repeated images after the event.