oops.


Status
Not open for further replies.
#1
i've got 8 rolls of film. 4 are used. problem is, they're all mixed up, and the used film have film lead is out.

is there any detective work i could do to find out which are the used film besides sending them to the printers? :p
 

Nov 6, 2002
140
0
0
41
Visit site
#2
Ha ha! And I thought I was the only careless guy around! Anyway one trick you can try is to see how much of the film leader is out.. If ur film leader has been left out by a setting in your camera, then the extent to which it is out is different from a new roll.. At least this is so with my EOS 50E... Even if u have extracted it using the plastic thingy that is used for the purpose, the amount it comes out is different.. So try ur luck and see it this works...
 

#3
Originally posted by Radix Lecti
Ha ha! And I thought I was the only careless guy around! Anyway one trick you can try is to see how much of the film leader is out.. If ur film leader has been left out by a setting in your camera, then the extent to which it is out is different from a new roll.. At least this is so with my EOS 50E... Even if u have extracted it using the plastic thingy that is used for the purpose, the amount it comes out is different.. So try ur luck and see it this works...
ahhh... i'm not alone. hehe...

my camera went bonkers on my trip. sometimes the film leader goes all the way in, sometimes it leaves a whole long leader sticking out. each time i rewound my film during my trip, i'd pray something will be left sticking out, as i didn't have my film retriever with me during my trip.

i tried your trick. but after awhile, everything starts looking the same.
 

Ian

Senior Member
Feb 20, 2002
2,548
0
0
56
Perth Australia
#4
Originally posted by kristlbel
i've got 8 rolls of film. 4 are used. problem is, they're all mixed up, and the used film have film lead is out.

is there any detective work i could do to find out which are the used film besides sending them to the printers? :p
There's none! You'll have to process them and wear the losses.
 

hazardman

New Member
Aug 10, 2002
288
0
0
35
Eunos
Visit site
#5
one troublesome but sure way
1. label rolls 1-8
2. in darkroom or black bag cut out bout 12-15cm from each Label 1 - 8 on e tongue of e film lead(all in dark)
3. send em all for process... u'll find out which is exposed n which is not. If u on good terms with e lab ppl.. they usually won't charge u..or maybe juz 1 or 2 bux.
Probably will lose 1st frame. Betta than losin e whole 4 rolls if expensive film. But for manual cams, usually 1st is a half frame for me.

1 good way to identify n prevent re-exposing our film is to mark em each time we use it... safer than guessing game. last yr.. i screwed up a roll of lightning shots... i shot in e rain n wind..
it was a lesson i nvr forget.
:cry:
 

#7
What I am going to suggest may sound abit dumb... but have you tried smelling the rolls?

I noticed after each shoot, the rolls have a different smell from a fresh roll. I think there's some chemical reactions on the film that causes a different smell altogether ;)

Hope I am right. Give it a shot. Anyway, you are going to try all of them. No harm using my method ;P
 

Newbiez

New Member
Nov 27, 2002
238
0
0
wonderland
blk13.LorCamto.com
#8
Originally posted by nEkOgOtCh
What I am going to suggest may sound abit dumb... but have you tried smelling the rolls?

I noticed after each shoot, the rolls have a different smell from a fresh roll. I think there's some chemical reactions on the film that causes a different smell altogether ;)

Hope I am right. Give it a shot. Anyway, you are going to try all of them. No harm using my method ;P
:bsmilie:
 

ninelives

Senior Member
Jan 16, 2002
3,247
3
38
BB
ninelives.clubsnap.org
#10
I also set to film leader out coz sometime I do mid-reload. But after finished the roll, I will always remember to wind them in. It take less than one second to wind them anyway I don't see the reason why you are lazy to do so.
 

Klause

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
1,417
0
0
34
Bedok
Visit site
#12
Neko, u forget to mention if u weigh it, exposed film will weigh heavier than un-expose film because there's pictures on it. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
 

#13
Originally posted by nEkOgOtCh
What I am going to suggest may sound abit dumb... but have you tried smelling the rolls?

I noticed after each shoot, the rolls have a different smell from a fresh roll. I think there's some chemical reactions on the film that causes a different smell altogether ;)

Hope I am right. Give it a shot. Anyway, you are going to try all of them. No harm using my method ;P

i agree with the smell part. but no, i don't think i'll go sniff at my film :p
 

#14
Originally posted by ninelives
I also set to film leader out coz sometime I do mid-reload. But after finished the roll, I will always remember to wind them in. It take less than one second to wind them anyway I don't see the reason why you are lazy to do so.

not lazy. just inexperienced. especially when the custom function screws up and winds in the entire leader of a mid-roll film.
then you tell me how to differentiate the finished n mid-finished films.

i'm still learning.
 

denizenx

Senior Member
Feb 1, 2002
4,058
0
0
41
L2TPYSG
Visit site
#15
Originally posted by kristlbel



not lazy. just inexperienced. especially when the custom function screws up and winds in the entire leader of a mid-roll film.
then you tell me how to differentiate the finished n mid-finished films.

i'm still learning.
\

then make it a habit to manually rewind the leader in for finished rolls, get a marker and/or small labels for mid-rolls and counted shots, and unused rolls leave in the box?
 

megaweb

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
8,541
3
38
East
megaweb.clubsnap.org
#16
Originally posted by nEkOgOtCh
What I am going to suggest may sound abit dumb... but have you tried smelling the rolls?

I noticed after each shoot, the rolls have a different smell from a fresh roll. I think there's some chemical reactions on the film that causes a different smell altogether ;)

Hope I am right. Give it a shot. Anyway, you are going to try all of them. No harm using my method ;P
can u smell how many frames are good , under and over exposed in a roll of film ?

:bsmilie:
 

denizenx

Senior Member
Feb 1, 2002
4,058
0
0
41
L2TPYSG
Visit site
#17
Originally posted by megaweb


can u smell how many frames are good , under and over exposed in a roll of film ?

:bsmilie:
give him a break man. he's a cat not a dog. next you'd be asking him to catalog the themes via smell... ;p ;p

anyway neko u mean fresh after the rewind? that's probably the heated smell from the motor drive... but I'm sinusman so... hohum...
 

#18
Originally posted by denizenx
\

then make it a habit to manually rewind the leader in for finished rolls, get a marker and/or small labels for mid-rolls and counted shots, and unused rolls leave in the box?
started doing that.

travelling lah, i carried them in a ziploc bag and tried my luck each time when passing thru xray machines to let the film escape the xray. apparently it doesn't work:confused:
 

#20
That's why you should use a Nikon camera. It winds the leader all the way IN by default. :devil: ID-ing used films will never be a problem now.

If I mid-roll rewind, then I use a film picker to pull out the leader and mark that roll as such. Otherwise, if the film has no leader, it's used. If it has a leader, it's new.

One way to see if it's used might probably be to look at how curved the leader is. The freshly used one might be more curved on the leader end.

This is particularly true on mechanical cameras like the the Nikon manual cameras, which wind film the "other way" round.

Regards
CK
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom