Only 72 dpi??

Status
Not open for further replies.

blithevincent

Jul 13, 2006
how come the resolution of the photo taken by 350D is only 72dpi x 72 dpi (file size already set to Large and fine, 3456x2304 pixels)? I am really suprised ...as even my olympus PnS camera take photos of 144 dpi x 144 dpi resolution.:eek:

u're not understanding wat dpi means...

say we take the same file in PIXEL size of 3000x2000

at 100 dpi, your print will be 30" x 20"
at 200 dpi, it will be 15" x 10"
at 300 dpi, it will be 10" x 6.666666"

but the image is still the same (in pixel size).

File size is ALL that matters. 350D file size is 3456x2304 pixels.

For a frame size of 1" x 0.67", you will have 3,456 DPI
For a frame size of 3,456" x 2,304", you have 1 DPI

Why do you think nobody talks about DPI here? Well, I think there was just one other post on this? I suspect some think about DPI as a spec, therefore the more the better without knowing technically what it means.

Trust us all, only the file size matters.

Yah, DPI is meaningless. What you're gonna do with DPI? Pixels is what matter.

blithevincent said:
how come the resolution of the photo taken by 350D is only 72dpi x 72 dpi (file size already set to Large and fine, 3456x2304 pixels)? I am really suprised ...as even my olympus PnS camera take photos of 144 dpi x 144 dpi resolution.:eek:

This is a specmanship issue.

My conclusion is that the stated exif info is invalid, unknown or not applicable.

Following was extracted from exif 2.2 specification, page 19 and 20,
published by Standard of Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association.

exif_spec1.jpg

Cheers.

DPI is nowadays mostly relevant to printers only. Scanners use PPI (pixels per inch). For photos like all the others have said its mostly the file size only.

When i was a photoshop noob I started out obsessed with dpi and all cos I thought wah my printer can print 720 by 720 dpi so damn good i must make my images that resolution also. Turns out that u get file sizes many hundred megs, PS load until very long when u apply filters. Some of my photos were sent for poster printing for some marketing thing...the printers also resize until damn small....very low dpi still come out swee swee A3 poster. heh. so dun worry too much bout dpi ba.

Status
Not open for further replies.