* on canon

artemis79

Jan 2, 2009
Hi all,

Need advise on my canon camera, i was playing with the setting and might have select some special function. my camera cannot auto focus when pressing the shutter button, but only able to zoom when i press the * button on the back of the camera.

pls help to advise if i have set up anything as search engine are not turning up any info except its for metering (* Button)

It has to be in the custom function settings, but a bit hard to help without looking at your camera.

In any case, you can always reset your camera functions back to the factory settings. Just read your camera manual on how to do so.

Which model of Canon camera are you using? I believe under the custom functions of some models, you are able to change the function of that button.

e.g. as shown below
back_button_focus_50dcfniv-1_2010__hero.jpg

by default that button should be only doing the AE lock..

artemis79 said:
my camera cannot auto focus when pressing the shutter button, but only able to zoom when i press the * button on the back of the

U using DSLR? Or compact camera? Zoom when press the * button?

Last edited:
Need advise on my canon camera, i was playing with the setting and might have select some special function. my camera cannot auto focus when pressing the shutter button, but only able to zoom when i press the * button on the back of the camera.
pls help to advise if i have set up anything as search engine are not turning up any info except its for metering (* Button)
Feed Google with '[Your camera model] manual' - download - read.