On being a Volunteer

Status
Not open for further replies.
A former classmate of mine who is now a surgeon admits over a lunch discussion that he volunteer at disaster relief operations for weeks to months on end with no salary just so that it will look good in his resume. A term he describe as "humanitarian tourism" and because every other doctor is doing it. :sweat:

You have to wonder just how many humanitarian and welfare volunteers in Singapore really does it with absolutely no strings attached? Take for example lawyers who handle cases on a pro bono publico basics, are they sincerely helping the needy or is it done for publicity purposes? :think:

Haha... I am sure he didn't mean it when he jokingly said that to you, right?

If he was dead serious, then it is about time we begin to talk about pseudo-volunteers in this thread...
Opps, I double posted. My bad.

He wasn't joking rather he was actually whining about his experience overseas. :rolleyes:

Opps, I double posted. My bad.

He wasn't joking rather he was actually whining about his experience overseas. :rolleyes:

Whining about his humanitarian expedition overseas?!
My goodness. I don't know what to say.
And I strongly suspect that not too few individuals who participate in these so-called voluntary works abroad,
actually conduct their work in a single-pointed mindedness of altruism.

You have to wonder just how many humanitarian and welfare volunteers in Singapore really does it with absolutely no strings attached? Take for example lawyers who handle cases on a pro bono publico basics, are they sincerely helping the needy or is it done for publicity purposes? :think:

No strings attached is the only way to give aid, once you start using political, religious or economic carrots it can really cause problems. One notable exception are the micro loan systems that originated in Bangladesh a few years ago, they really work well.

Pro bono cases usually aren't allowed to be advertised. Most lawyers do a percentage of their work as pro bono as a commitment to society to ensure that even the poor have access to quality legal services. It's a shame a few more professions don't get in on the act too.

Whining about his humanitarian expedition overseas?!
My goodness. I don't know what to say.
And I strongly suspect that not too few individuals who participate in these so-called voluntary works abroad,
actually conduct their work in a single-pointed mindedness of altruism.

Not among the young professionals who are climbing
the coporate ladder. However most employers would
recruit a candidate with volunteering experience over
one without.

Altruism is hard to find. It can only happen to either
the young or the elderly who has a restful and balanced
mind.

A former classmate of mine who is now a surgeon admits over a lunch discussion that he volunteer at disaster relief operations for weeks to months on end with no salary just so that it will look good in his resume. A term he describe as "humanitarian tourism" and because every other doctor is doing it. :sweat:

This is due to peer pressure. They see no point doing this but has to do to keep a good face and seriously not everybody cut out to be volunteer, just like not everybody cut out to be doctors or lawyers. May be they are intelligent enough to be one but many not have the passion to be one.
Just see how many artist having law qualifications.
Not sure about doctors though.

Similarly to be a volunteers, it is not easy and not everybody cut out to be one.

I know it is a dedication, but for me work is a demand. We are expected to work during weekends (I am in IT line) because production system can only be shutdown for upgrades when nobody uses them and that is weekends. Cant be shutdown at night because people in other timezone will be screaming.

So activities like old folks home is out for me cost that require consistency.

I been a volunteer before but have stopped due to the increased workload from office. The beauty of volunteering is not just about helping the unfortunate or needy but being exposed to real life situation that we seldom see in our 'routine lifestyle'.
The small & simple thing in life which I think that many young Singaporean took for granted.

i know that its best to be a regular volunteer. the organisations i am involved with prefer that as well so that they can plan their manpower needs. however i feel that if i cannot have 1 full time volunteer but can get 100 part time/ad hoc volunteers to help, its still helps a bit. at least in some cases, it gives the full time staff at these organisations a chance to get a rest. Also a lot of times is taking a small step at a time, and hopefully a few from the group of ad hoc volunteers find a calling and become more regular.

This is the approach i take in my company, being one of the core group of volunteers. Its probably not the best way, but I alwasy tell my colleagues every little bit helps. Its definitely more positive thinking than those people who say we are doing so little, what's the point, can't help much.

No strings attached is the only way to give aid, once you start using political, religious or economic carrots it can really cause problems. One notable exception are the micro loan systems that originated in Bangladesh a few years ago, they really work well.

Pro bono cases usually aren't allowed to be advertised. Most lawyers do a percentage of their work as pro bono as a commitment to society to ensure that even the poor have access to quality legal services. It's a shame a few more professions don't get in on the act too.

Grameen Bank FTW

I have been a active volunteer for 10 years , and it never surprise me several things we take for granted - there are many folks struggling for basic necessity in Singapore. It is very different from what I used to understand till i saw it with my own eyes.

Been a volunteer helps me to show gratitude and build bond with love ones , appreciate other aspect of life that I may have overlook instead of purely focusing on ladder climbing and walk with fellow man together.

On being a Volunteer or the act of it is new to you.

Are you contributing in whatever way you can as a
volunteer in any organisation or association?

Are you thinking of the giving and being connected
with the community of your choice or otherwise?

What are your reasons of not wanting to be a
volunteer? Your generous views are welcome.

:)

Haha... I am sure he didn't mean it when he jokingly said that to you, right?
If he was dead serious, then it is about time we begin to talk about pseudo-volunteers in this thread...

Doubt he was joking... this issue is not new, alot of young volunteers who go on far flung trips to third world countries to do a one time off "mission" or "relief effort" trip do it solely to put into their resume for their uni and scholarship application. The fact that they did such activities adds ommph to their resume and gives them an edge over fellow applicants. However try asking them to go to local homes.... I doubt anyone will be interested.

Doubt he was joking... this issue is not new, alot of young volunteers who go on far flung trips to third world countries to do a one time off "mission" or "relief effort" trip do it solely to put into their resume for their uni and scholarship application. The fact that they did such activities adds ommph to their resume and gives them an edge over fellow applicants. However try asking them to go to local homes.... I doubt anyone will be interested.

You are right. Talk to them about committing to a local organisation, they think about it,
"No fun... don't have a sense of adventure like going overseas... what? Every week? Well, I'll think about it..."
So there goes your volunteer...

The old folks home that I go to, has quite some difficulties trying to get volunteers that can commit their services.
Many came and many went.
Many came, saw and never returned.
A few stayed on for a few months.
Only the silly one is left holding on...

Last edited:
Only the silly one is left holding on...

haha. me thinks the silly one is the only one with a real heart.

then again. gotta still weigh the pros-cons. time given up vs helping ppl. if u have extra time no sweat. i think can help one.
however if u no time how?:dunno:

my dad makes an effort to donate to the institute of mental health every year, and if he has the time he will interact with the ppl. so far, for the past few years, we have made the attempt to donate mandarin oranges during new year, so tat the ppl who "i mean it literally" locked up in there can at least know new year is coming.

or at least christmas donate logcakes and food for the kids.

to give u a rough idea, for ppl who are abandoned in there, (which is more than 90%), the state sponsors them $2.50 a day. tats 5 meals. and its quite saddening. the ics invited me to take a look at wad they eat. if its u u will puke.

but then again, long time volunteer helping out? not possible. i dismiss from sch daily at 5. this is the very least we could do.

all depends on what our minds perceive our world to be
do we want to help?
do we care to help?
what's important to you? the miniscule world that surrounds you?
or can we all really strive to make this a better place (there's a M.Jackson song there)

If ya want to really do something to help, but can't find the time, then at least reduce your waste. It's voluntary and will have an impact on the bigger world around you :)

I have been a active volunteer for 10 years , and it never surprise me several things we take for granted - there are many folks struggling for basic necessity in Singapore. It is very different from what I used to understand till i saw it with my own eyes.

Been a volunteer helps me to show gratitude and build bond with love ones , appreciate other aspect of life that I may have overlook instead of purely focusing on ladder climbing and walk with fellow man together.

You speak from your heart with truth and sincerity.
It is not how lucky, wealthy or knowledgable
you are, it is how much you care about others
and how strong you want to build the relationship
with people around you.

Sad to say, most people would adopt a don't care
attitude not to mention to them to care about
the world is too far away.

Look around and you will see most people are heartless.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.