OMG! Water invaded my keyboard. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

velasco

Jul 7, 2006
PARISris , Singapore
ukellyclarkson.com
Okay, the careless me spilled alot of water onto my Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop last night. I think most of it went into the keyboard portion. I unplugged the AC cord and the power is still okay. It was running all fine , I tried to dab it with cloth. The exterior is dry but suddenly the keyboard keys went bonkers and some keys cannot work.

So the silly me when to restart computer. The boot is fine uptill the windows logon page where they require the password, lol. So now I'm kinda stuck there. I pried open some keys and fixed them back but now, the whole keyboard stopped functioning.

One time, it booted with a "Keyboard Error-reseat keys" or something of that sort.

I'm lost. What should i do? Should i pry open the keyboard and then put it back again, how do I ensure the motherboard and the files in my system are all intact? :(

Should I go buy a new keyboard and change it? If so, which shop offers such stuff?

I removed the battery all night and dry it, this morning, still the same, can reboot, mouse worked fine, and touch pad is okay, just the keys not working at all :(

Okay, the careless me spilled alot of water onto my Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop last night. I think most of it went into the keyboard portion. I unplugged the AC cord and the power is still okay. It was running all fine , I tried to dab it with cloth. The exterior is dry but suddenly the keyboard keys went bonkers and some keys cannot work.

So the silly me when to restart computer. The boot is fine uptill the windows logon page where they require the password, lol. So now I'm kinda stuck there. I pried open some keys and fixed them back but now, the whole keyboard stopped functioning.

One time, it booted with a "Keyboard Error-reseat keys" or something of that sort.

I'm lost. What should i do? Should i pry open the keyboard and then put it back again, how do I ensure the motherboard and the files in my system are all intact? :(

Should I go buy a new keyboard and change it? If so, which shop offers such stuff?

I removed the battery all night and dry it, this morning, still the same, can reboot, mouse worked fine, and touch pad is okay, just the keys not working at all :(
Alternatively, you may want to try to plug a USB keyboard and see 1st.
You may want to be well prepared if the motherboard KO.

once my wife spill coffee....i open up everything slowly and carefully wipe dry....then air it before reassemble. amazing the laptop survive till now

Common sense tells you that when there's water on any electronic device, first thing is to totally power it off, then try to dry it (for days?) with whatever methods, before you make any attempt to switch it on again.

Let the computer dry off for a few days. Don't switch it on. Remove the battery. Drain any excess water with a cloth. Let it dry natural, or use a hair dryer at medium to dry it.

you should use a good high airflow hairdryer to do the drying.

It happened to mine last week. Mine was battery powered wireless bluetooth keyboard.

I turned it upside down, hit out the water first. tilt it sideways and shake it abit. Passed it to my maid to have it sundried.

By the next evening, it worked like a charm... And its even better now!

Status
Not open for further replies.