OMD Shutter Count

flamenco

May 22, 2012
biofos.com: How to access hidden camera codes on most Olympus cameras.

1. With a charged battery installed hold down the MENU button while switching on the camera.
2. When the LCD lights release the MENU button and immediately press it again, once.
3. In the menu go to SPANNER (line 5) and press RIGHT.
4. Press DOWN until you are at the LCD brightness screen (line 3).
5. Enter the brightness screen (shows twin adjusters) by pressing RIGHT and then press INFO and OK sequentially.
6. You will see on the LCD 'OLYMPUS' followed by the designation of your camera (eg E-P1).
7. Press in sequence UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, SHUTTER and UP for screen 1.
8. You are now in the hidden information screens: RIGHT = screen 2, DOWN = screen 3, LEFT = screen 4.
9. When you have your information simply switch off the camera.

Found the above information on the web. Not sure if it works on the OMD, am goona try when I get home.

Anyone can confirm if this works ?

Thank for the info.

Anyone knows why camera manufacturers make their users jump through hoops just to see commonly requested info like shutter count?

Because some users are going to return the camera claiming it is not new because the shutter count is not 0? Even though everyone knows that a camera needs to be tested before being sent out of the factory.

Because some users are going to return the camera claiming it is not new because the shutter count is not 0? Even though everyone knows that a camera needs to be tested before being sent out of the factory.

You know how many times I've seen a post of someone who has done this with their new camera, and posted a message asking if they got a used camera because it's around 100 clicks (the amount of testing Oly does with 4/3 cameras)?

Some manufacturers don't want that information in the hands of the end user (fortunately someone with Olympus leaked how to do it). Some manufacturers don't even have that feature...I want to know how many clicks the Canon I use at work has, and there's no way to find out because it's a consumer dSLR.

You know how many times I've seen a post of someone who has done this with their new camera, and posted a message asking if they got a used camera because it's around 100 clicks (the amount of testing Oly does with 4/3 cameras)?

Some manufacturers don't want that information in the hands of the end user (fortunately someone with Olympus leaked how to do it). Some manufacturers don't even have that feature...I want to know how many clicks the Canon I use at work has, and there's no way to find out because it's a consumer dSLR.

Fully understand where you are coming from. There are all kinds of people in this world.

Having said that, there are simple thing that Oly or any other companies can do, for e.g. put out an official note that says something to the effect of "Our internal QA process will results in the shutter count of approximately 100 when you get your camera". Most people will be able to accept, those who can't simply won't be able to buy any cameras.

An equivalent is when you buy a new car, no one expect the odometer to read 0 km, however, everyone expects that to be within a certain range of say 50km.

It works and the shutter count is displayed on Page 2 under R:

An equivalent is when you buy a new car, no one expect the odometer to read 0 km, however, everyone expects that to be within a certain range of say 50km.

Rented a car once with only 50km on it...after a weekend of driving had more than 8 times that.

Brilliant. This is very useful information. Just gotta find out how to decode the info.

Need to find the button sequence to enable the E-M5 to reduce ISO down to 50. I am sure there is a magic button sequence somewhere.

Need to find the button sequence to enable the E-M5 to reduce ISO down to 50. I am sure there is a magic button sequence somewhere.

Is there ? Pls do share when u find it !

flamenco said:
Is there ? Pls do share when u find it !

Apparently someone found it on E-400/500 the magic sequence. I believe it is there, just need someone to crack it.

that would be nice if can change to 50 or even 100. i wonder if staffs from Olympus will know?

akuaku said:
that would be nice if can change to 50 or even 100. i wonder if staffs from Olympus will know?

Im sure olympus technician knows.

Im sure olympus technician knows.

i don't understand why olympus has to hide low iso.. in fact if they can retrieve. what's the purpose

i don't understand why olympus has to hide low iso.. in fact if they can retrieve. what's the purpose

It is called providing for the lowest common denominator. Meaning the camera has to be dumbed down to the a level that will suit all levels of users.

It is called providing for the lowest common denominator. Meaning the camera has to be dumbed down to the a level that will suit all levels of users.

How would a manufacturer define the common user ? Not to mention all of em seem to have a different definition !?!

Just ranting !

How would a manufacturer define the common user ? Not to mention all of em seem to have a different definition !?!

Just ranting !

Not the common user, the most basic user.

Meaning A mode 100% of the time, no understanding of ISO, white balance, shutter speed, aperture etc.

if the technician really know, probably i would try to ask and dig out info from oly technician when i go and collect my epm1 next week..