OM System Wow Camera

Good alternative video. I know this guy, he always point out the achilles heel in any system, especially M43. You can look at his channel to verify this. Most Olympus users already knew video is not the strong point of Olympus. That is Panasonic stronghold. I don't have the OM1 so I cannot comment on how I find the Menu system which he commented on. But his comparison of stabilization is not very fair. He is comparing a 400mm FF vs a 75-300 (which is 600mm because of the 2x factor). You just need to prepare yourself in a good position to be able to shoot handheld with 600mm of course.

Yeah..... those that got the first units for preview of any products are usually the ambassadors who only say good things about the product. They are free to say bad things but if they say too much bad things, they will find the manufacturer may not send them any more products to review. You can go and look at the reviews of other brands of cameras or any gadgets. Usually there is only s small paragraph that mention one or two things to improve on. That is how reviewers work.

Most importantly, dont depend on reviews. Go and test the camera yourself.

Seeing a whole lot of UK and AZ Photographers receiving their WOW camera. And also seeing a growing list or replaced cameras on Ebay. But that is not reflected in CS used section or across the border.

Sad to see that OMDS has not broken the mental chains of the previous dead company Olympus Camera Division.
Maintani left Olympus Camera Division a successful enterprise.
And the idiots who ran the company later turned it into an empty shell, to be discarded and flushed down the toilet.

OMDS still insists on the fixation to MFT.
Long ago Olympus even made medium format bodies.
And then it made half frame cameras like Pen-F.
And then it made full frame 35mm film format cameras like OM1, OM2, OM3, OM4.
These are 3 very different film size formats.

What does this tell you?
The company was wise enough to be flexible and make WHAT THE CONSUMERS WANTED.
The company was wise enough to be flexible and make WHAT SELLS VERY WELL.

Fast Forward to the period 2008 to 2022.
Olympus Camera Division died making what its egoistic CEO wanted - NOT what the consumers wanted to buy.
OMDS is continuing to make the same Fatal Error.

Olympus Camera Division and OMDS forgot they are a CAMERA company and NOT a MFT company.

Credit: imagingpixel.com

OMF%2BOlympus%2BChrome%2BSix%2BRIIA.jpg

OMF%2BOlympus%2BFlex%2BI.jpg

And what happened to Contax, Kodak, Pentax and Zeiss who has come up with Full Frames Cameras couple of years back?

Full Frame Format is NOT the magic pill that can solve all camera manufacturers woes!

Olympus stayed in M43 probably because it felt the niche it has with the 2x Factor in M43 is stronger than any niche it can establish in FF format. I am sure Olympus have pondered on this issue for months or years, more than you and me, as you are talking of millions and millions of investment when venturing into a new format, and may be the last nail in the coffin for smaller companies like Pentax who stopped manufacturing cameras.

It is also probably more likely that OM Systems will sell more OM-1 than Panasonic Full Frame.

Sad to see that OMDS has not broken the mental chains of the previous dead company Olympus Camera Division.
Maintani left Olympus Camera Division a successful enterprise.
And the idiots who ran the company later turned it into an empty shell, to be discarded and flushed down the toilet.

OMDS still insists on the fixation to MFT.
Long ago Olympus even made medium format bodies.
And then it made half frame cameras like Pen-F.
And then it made full frame 35mm film format cameras like OM1, OM2, OM3, OM4.
These are 3 very different film size formats.

What does this tell you?
The company was wise enough to be flexible and make WHAT THE CONSUMERS WANTED.
The company was wise enough to be flexible and make WHAT SELLS VERY WELL.

Fast Forward to the period 2008 to 2022.
Olympus Camera Division died making what its egoistic CEO wanted - NOT what the consumers wanted to buy.
OMDS is continuing to make the same Fatal Error.

Olympus Camera Division and OMDS forgot they are a CAMERA company and NOT a MFT company.

Credit: imagingpixel.com

OMF%2BOlympus%2BChrome%2BSix%2BRIIA.jpg

OMF%2BOlympus%2BFlex%2BI.jpg

Someone can’t believe OM system can make a come back with OM-1.
The system has a place in the outdoor photography market especially in the western countries and the photographers who has the buying power are aging and this lighter system appeals to them.

If you are in the Oly-E group UK, you can see that the OM-1 March delivery is sold out and the April is said to be fully taken up.

Reactions: JW73
Not surprise with the response. For JIP to take over the Olympus Imaging Division and probably invested more money in it, they must have done a thorough research on what the market wants (especially Olympus users) so this are orders from users who have indicated that these are the improvements they are waiting for. Like I say, I am glad OM Systems have caught up with other manufacturers in several ways but by calling it a WOW camera, I was actually expecting something surpassing the current cameras available with a few features. Nonetheless, it is still a good camera, especially for Olympus users.

BTW, there are rumors that a 100mm Macro F2.8 lens will be coming up. Great news for those who shoot small insects and find you need to attach some magnifier to your 60mm Macro! I think there is no 200mm F2.8 equivalent Macro lenses in the market at the moment.

I would have seriously considered this camera but my photo lifestyle has changed dramatically during pandemic and travelling and trekking is almost reduced to zero. But I would definitely consider getting the OM-1 when I can travel frequently again :)

Have you tried using extension tubes with the Lumix 200/2.8 for macros?

I was using the Raynox DCR 250 (2.5x magnification) to attach to my 60mm Macro.
It works but difficult to focus without a tripod.
Hence, I thought the 100mm Macro with IS will be nice :)

Have you tried using extension tubes with the Lumix 200/2.8 for macros?

OM1 Vs GH6 video low light performance. No need to say the O wins hands down! Hahaha.

Obviously Panasonic has made some wrong decisions for choosing a higher res sensor over what OM did and also staying to is DFD focussing.
Panasonic bang on the pro video features on the GH6. I am not sure how much that is a wow to professional videographers.

Well I believe the pro video features of GH6 are demanded by professionals who for the most part would be using manual focus cine lenses which are not exactly cheap anyway. It's for the amateur and enthusiasts who would find OM1 extremely useful and easy to make pro level video without an expensive outlay of pro grade lenses , gimbals and tripods. Truly a versatile camera to take along anywhere.

This is worldwide market share reported in Aug 2021. Unfortunately, Olympus or OMDS is nowhere to be seen. It is not highlighted on the pie chart.
Meaning market share of OMDS is too small or non-existent. Now if you are the management running the OMDS business, its factories and few thousand employees, how are you going to crawl out of this hole? It is NOT sustainable.

In 2022, OMDS has continued repeating the mistake that destroyed Olympus Camera Division - that is stick to MFT sensor.
Then how can OMDS expect a different result? Wait a few years and in the end JIP / OMDS may announce winding up of OMDS. They are on wrong side of history. It is not 2008 any more. The world has moved on to bigger sensors. OMDS has failed to stick to Small+Cheap+Light. OM-1 costs US $2,199.

Credit: dpreview.com
Market_Share.jpeg

Last edited:
Aiya Richohflex why you still banging your head on mft's case. You cannot make conclusions based on a pie chart. Is Leica or Hasselblad in it? If you are a realist then a product that people want and use will mean it survives. There is a strong demand from seniors who can afford and want to enjoy photography. Of course om1 is not cheap as it is a flagship just like other brands but one third the price of equivalent flagship cameras.

Just like people say film is dead and so is Kodak but surprisingly Kodak film is on the revival thanks to young people who have not experienced film photography but I see it as just a fad but nevertheless things are not easy to predict for one thing human emotions and nostalgia hence film is sort of coming back just like fashion does in circles.

Seeing how om1 perform in extreme low light imagine how excited astro photographers are about what they can capture of the night space? Another group of customers. I believe omds will continue..haha

So relax and take heart mft is here to stay.

Ricohflex, so your idea of Olympus is small, cheap and light?
I remembered you were an Olympus user too........ are you saying you got Olympus because it was cheap?
DId you get 1 or 2 lenses after all feels that it is not worth you while to continue with the system.

Olympus is a cheaper alternative when you compare system to system, especially when bundled with Fast Telephoto Lenses.
Bodies wise, there is not much savings from using a smaller sensor, so if you compare Olympus Flagship models with other brands with similar models,
the price difference is not going to be a lot.

I chose Olympus because of the 2x factor and the lenses are much smaller and lighter and not because the body is cheap.
If cheap bodies is what you need, there really are a lot of brands with budget camera bodies you can choose from,
but I don't think you can find one with similar features to the OM-1.

This is worldwide market share reported in Aug 2021. Unfortunately, Olympus or OMDS is nowhere to be seen. It is not highlighted on the pie chart.
Meaning market share of OMDS is too small or non-existent. Now if you are the management running the OMDS business, its factories and few thousand employees, how are you going to crawl out of this hole? It is NOT sustainable.

In 2022, OMDS has continued repeating the mistake that destroyed Olympus Camera Division - that is stick to MFT sensor.
Then how can OMDS expect a different result? Wait a few years and in the end JIP / OMDS may announce winding up of OMDS. They are on wrong side of history. It is not 2008 any more. The world has moved on to bigger sensors. OMDS has failed to stick to Small+Cheap+Light. OM-1 costs US $2,199.

Credit: dpreview.com
Market_Share.jpeg

Canon and Nikon are switching mount to FF mirrorless now and are abandoning DSLR mount lenses. They will start making more mirrorless lenses and tell customers it is better than using the old mount + adapters. M43 has done that more than 10years ago. Now m43 has lots of highend and good quality mirrorless lenses to chose from.And the m43 mount is still relevant to the latest technology built into the latest bodies like powerful dual IS and procapture etc.I see OM/Panasonic has more years to go and remain as a small niche market. I do not think Canon or Nikon are going to make highend apsc mirrorless lenses due to already low volume of overall sales.

Last edited:
The OM-1 is NOT a cheap camera, but we need to put things in the right perspective when we say that Olympus / OM is a cheaper alternative. Here is to recent articles from dpreview comparing the OM-1 with the Nikon Z9 and the Canon R3.

The OM-1 including its pro-grade 40-150 F2.8 tele lens is US$3800.
The Nikon with its 100-400 F4-F5.6 lens is US$8200.
The Canon with its 70-200 F2.8 is US$8800.

The OM-1 system, being able to zoom in to a equivalent 300mm at F2.8, and providing high quality quality images and high percentage of usable photos for less than half the price of Nikon and Canon, not to mention a much lighter setup.

Reactions: Octarine and JW73
What do you value in photography and your next camera purchase.

Subject tracking OM1 VS EM1X
Bloody amazing.

Recently the Internet got rumours of Sony medium format camera.
Is it possible?
And if true then what is the impact on OMDS MFT?

First commercially mass produced film camera was probably Kodak Brownie in 1888.
Over the next more than 100 years, film photography evolved and progressed. Various film formats lived and died.
Eventually Kodak filed for bankruptcy in 2012.

First commercially marketed (by Japan) digital camera was Fujix DS-100 in 1991.
Dycam Model 1 was the first commercially available digital camera to launch in the US in 1990.
Although Kodak digital prototype was in 1975 but obviously it was not commercially available to consumers.

1991 to 2022 is only 31 years. That is very short. Digital photography has progressed by leaps and bounds within this short period.

So the answer whether more camera companies will go into medium format in future is, in my opinion > yes.
Will there be buyers of these $10,000 to $20,000 cameras?
Yes. There are many people who buy cars costing more than $300,000. There will be a market.
Whether they need it, is not the point.
They have the money to buy it and some of them will.

Fuji already has mirrorless medium format digital cameras with interchangeable lenses.
No idea whether Nikon & Canon will follow.
There are others like Hasselblad, Pentax, Leica and Phase One.

When several manufacturers make mirrorless medium format digital cameras with interchangeable lenses.
Where does that leave the MFT sensor format, particularly OMDS?
It leaves MFT in the dust. As a part of history. An obsolete has-been, that was good once upon a time.

When medium format is commonplace, people will begin to perceive Full Frame sensor as the "small" format.
And the very much smaller sensor formats like MFT will be crushed.
MFT won't survive in that future market environment.

Just as it was in the film era when many manufacturers made medium format film cameras.
And there were even more 35mm film format cameras.
The previously made HALF FRAME (1961 Olympus Pen EE2) and 16mm (1959 Mamiya-16) film cameras became unpopular and companies stopped making them after some time.

Last edited: