OM System Wow Camera

Thanks for clarifying what is equivalence. To a more easily understood, I would rather call it as the reference image. I have Canon and Sony systems because I used to own a photo event company and I also used to have a Professional photo lab where we have worked with photographers to produce award winning images. That is why from the beginning, I already said that there is definitely a drop in IQ and a compromise in DOF when using smaller formats, because I have done actual comparisons before.

Over the years, I have come to realize that sometimes, it is more important to be practical than to see perfection. This is why Large Formats and Medium Format are slowly being phased out. Remember those 80 megapixel medium formats back? Full Frame SLRs can hardly match their quality even years later. Why did they not become popular? Why did Mirrorless overtake DSLR even though the viewfinder experience sucks on most of them? Why did mobile phone cameras became the most popular format?

Equivalence may be the reference to a perfect image, but it could amount to nothing if the set up needed to take the shot is not practical (be in in terms of cost, weight or size).

BTW, the Panasonic GH6 is available for pre-order on B&H.
I was expecting the price to be slightly higher than the OM-1, and was surprised that they priced the same at US$2199. Something to look at if you do not need 8K and need to shoot longer than the 30mins limit.

As this thread is on the new Olympus OM-1, I thive started another thread on the new Panasonic GH-6.

I don't shoot Professional VIdeo but my partner does and he often discuss with me the Video equipment to but or rent to shoot for events.

Saw some reviews of GH6. Now if some one wishes to buy a MFT camera, then who is going to buy the OM1 mirrorless?
Looks like GH6 just put the last nail in OMDS coffin.

The OM1 target users are outdoor wildlife action photographers.
The GH6 targets video-graphers. Having a higher resolution at about 25mp does not put a nail in the coffin of the OM1 as what you always think.
I definitely will choose the OM1 over the GH6 for the kind of activities I am in.
Although the OM1 does not have the best autofocus compared to higher priced cameras, it has improved quite a fair bit and beat the GH6 in terms of AF.
I am sure both OMDS and Panasonci has chosen the important areas to improve on to woo their target audience.

Saw some reviews of GH6. Now if some one wishes to buy a MFT camera, then who is going to buy the OM1 mirrorless?

Last edited:
What nail? It seems that both the mft showed that it still have a lot of steam to carryon.

In Singapore the pre-order price for Om1 still not out yet but Gh6 price already out. Om_1 was announced 1 week ahead of Gh6.

Maybe it’s true..

In Singapore the pre-order price for Om1 still not out yet but Gh6 price already out. Om_1 was announced 1 week ahead of Gh6.

Maybe it’s true..
The OM-1 pre-order price $3259is out Today

Expensive at 3K plus.
Still, the reviewers say this model may have been in the process of being made when Olympus Camera Division was wound up.
If Olympus had released it 5 years before they killed the Olympus Camera Division, it may have a better reception.

But probably Olympus Camera Division suffers from the same paralysis as Canon.
Always afraid that a new product will cannibalize the company's other existing products.
Specifically Olympus Camera Division wanted to protect the Olympus OM-D E-M1X.

At such high price, it may appeal to MFT system owners who suffer from Sunken Costs.
But to a NEW camera buyer, there are many alternatives at a high price bracket.
And why would a NEW camera buyer want to commit to a system that uses a dying sensor format?

Reviewers say this is the LAST camera model to sport the "Olympus" name on the front.
In future it will be something else - maybe OMDS?
It takes a long time to build a brand name and consumer recognition.

"Olympus" has such brand recognition for cameras. Because it was around 84 years.
OMDS is an unknown. Consumers may ignore it. That is, this brand name has no good will.

So if few people buy future cameras from OMDS, then how can it sustain a large workforce plus all operational costs?
JIP/OMDS cannot continue losing money non-stop with no limit.

Agreed that price is a tad high at S$3259 with a unheard of Camera bag worth $239.
The List price is US$2199 (S$2,968). I guess the local distributor wants more profit.

The OM1 has basically the best features from the EM1x and EM1 mk3, plus improvement on some of the major weaker points eg. focus, dynamic range etc.
Development could have started 5 years ago but my guess is Olympus / OM Systems could have been waiting for Sony to develop a sensor for them, which is NOT Sony's priority because it is a smaller market.

"MFT system owners who suffer from Sunken Costs?"
Nah..... when there is a system that offers much more innovation and benefits (camera, Hifi, computer or any other gadgets), I just moved on.
Every 2 to 3 years, I write off my laptop, ipad and iphone to change for newer models.That is easily worth more than my whole OM System of lenses.
But as of now, I have not come across any system that suits my needs better.

Dying sensor format? Go and google. There are more M43 lenses and accessories introduced this few months than for APS and Full Frame :)
And Panasonic and OM Systems have been updating their software and firmware too, though the software and firmware for my 3 year old Olympus was working perfectly.

Where are you getting the news that JIP/OMDS has a large work force? From my understanding, JIP is an expert in outsourcing to contract manufacturers. They are applying this model to see if it works for Cameras.

For those who are comparing cameras with OM1 to see if it is worthwhile to get, below is my comparison with other brands cameras of about the same price range (US$2000 to US$2500). No point comparing it with cameras like the A7R4 (about US$3500). The following are the specs I look at:
1) The Sony A74 has the highest resolution @ 33mp but costs US$500 more. The Nikon @ US$1995 with 25mp is worth considering if you do not mind lower specs (more later).
2) ISO - OM Systems is max. ISO now is only about 1 stop lower (102400 vs the rest of the FF at 204800) although we don't push to the max at all but it does gives higher workable ISO when the max is higher.
3) Image Stabilization Canon comes in top but OM1 is just 1 stop behind.
4) Number of Focus points.OM & Canon is top at 1053, Sony 759, Nikon only 273 focus point (for its low price). Okay for static photos eg. Portrait and Landscapes, may be a problem for Action & Wildlife photos.
5) Focal Multiplier (only OM1 is 2x, I love it as this makes my tele lenses shorter and lighter, may not be important to others)
6) Articulated Screen. Except for Nikon, the rest are fully articulated. (Again Why Nikon Z6 is priced lower). This is especially impt for video.
7) Battery Life, Canon and Nikon one is a bit low, 360 and 410 shots only.
8) Weight: Nikon is the heaviest and OM1 is the lightest. If you carry the camera and walk for 6 to 8 hours, the Nikon will feel very heavy.

My Conclusion: The OM1 is definitely worthwhile considering if higher resolution is not important for you and especially if you need good weather sealing (OM1 is the best) for body and lenses. Sony is not very clear on whether some of its lenses are weather sealed. If higher resolution is needed, I would definitely choose the Sony A7 IV. The canon costing the same as the Sony at US$2499 is only 20mp and the Nikon to me is not suitable for action adventure. It's 4k video is also only 30p while the rest are at 60p.

Thank you @ Pitachu for the comparison. I think the cost of manufacture is almost the same regardless of the sensor size and material.

You forgot to mention the weight of the lenses one need to carry on hikes. I will stick with my current setup. I doubt I would benefit from the new release other than a much lighter/smaller wallet/bank account. ;) Hence I will sit back and enjoy reading and viewing the stories and reviews of the new releases. Maybe just dream of them in my hands.

A sign of the times.
After the Death of Olympus Camera Division.

I am sticking to my current setup too. Unless we have a need for those new features / improvements for the OM-1,
the EM1 mk 3 is definitely a better value for money.

I left out the comparison of lenses as that is another can of worms :cool:
There were so much argument of on whether the Olympus 300mm F4 is comparable to a FF 600mm F4.
All those who argue against it did not mention you need a very thick wallet and very strong back for a FF 600mm F4.

I was fortunate enough to have the Olympus 300mm F4 on 2 events and was impressed. I was even more surprised when I used it with a 2x TC. I was actually able to shoot handheld @ 1200mm with very decent results as a Newbie in Birding!

Yes, it is much easier for someone who wants to explore shooting birds etc to spend US$2900 on a lenses than to plonk US$12,000 on a Canon, Sony or Nikon 600mm F4 lenses.

Thank you @ Pitachu for the comparison. I think the cost of manufacture is almost the same regardless of the sensor size and material.

You forgot to mention the weight of the lenses one need to carry on hikes. I will stick with my current setup. I doubt I would benefit from the new release other than a much lighter/smaller wallet/bank account. ;) Hence I will sit back and enjoy reading and viewing the stories and reviews of the new releases. Maybe just dream of them in my hands.

Yes, it's sad, as I do follow his channel and learnt quite a bit from Robin Wong.
But it is normal for manufacturers to ignore Singapore and even Malaysia on allocating their marketing budget as the market is pretty small.

A sign of the times.
After the Death of Olympus Camera Division.

Ricoh has ventured into APS-C and Pentax has ventured into APS-C and Full Frame.
They are both going down and now selling on Crowdfunding platforms and Limited DIrect Sales. Does it mean no more support?

This shows that Olympus and Panasonic is NOT wrong choosing to commit to M43 format instead of competing in the Read Ocean of Full Frame and APS-C.

FF & APS-C are not the magic formula for success. What makes manufacturers like Sony successful is constant innovation, understanding customer needs and good marketing.

Initial iso comparison om1 Vs em1mk3. If you don't use iso 6400 and above like in wildlife, sports or lowlight scenes then em1 MK3 might be a cost effective option. In my opinion it is better to spend the extra for om1 plus the video features in the long run. The claimed 2 stops improvement is real! Even distribution of noise, thanks to new image process and firmware.

DPreview member says this:

faunagraphy • Contributing Member • Posts: 922
The ONLY OM-1 review we can TRUST.
1 week ago

In an ocean of shills and sellouts, only one man has the courage and integrity to speak truth to power.

RESPECT!!1

What Olympus OM-1 Review Shills Forgot To Mention

Last edited:
Good alternative video. I know this guy, he always point out the achilles heel in any system, especially M43. You can look at his channel to verify this. Most Olympus users already knew video is not the strong point of Olympus. That is Panasonic stronghold. I don't have the OM1 so I cannot comment on how I find the Menu system which he commented on. But his comparison of stabilization is not very fair. He is comparing a 400mm FF vs a 75-300 (which is 600mm because of the 2x factor). You just need to prepare yourself in a good position to be able to shoot handheld with 600mm of course.

Yeah..... those that got the first units for preview of any products are usually the ambassadors who only say good things about the product. They are free to say bad things but if they say too much bad things, they will find the manufacturer may not send them any more products to review. You can go and look at the reviews of other brands of cameras or any gadgets. Usually there is only s small paragraph that mention one or two things to improve on. That is how reviewers work.