Olympus SGP Service is Good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

Jan 18, 2002
North West
Visit site
Hi, last week I lamented about the free gift I missed from Oly SGP but I didn't mention how good is their service yet because I want to wait until today to complete my testimony. During my visit last week, I complain about hot pixel appear from 1/2s onward. The tech support head (I think, since he has an assistance) Mr Goh ask me to bring the DC back so that he can load a new software that Oly Japan just release since they have feedback the hot pixel problems to Oly Japan. But, he can't guarantee it work.

So today lunch time dropped by Oly Office to ask for Mr Goh. After I remind him about my hot pixel problem, he gladly do it for me. I also check with him a few qns about C2040. [Volk, if you are here] Mr Goh show me that you can turn the "Reset" (under "Mode Setting"-->"Setup") option from "on" to "off" so that the DC will store you last setting. Don't use the "custom" option as it stop you using the Panorama shot.

While waiting, chat with the Receptionist Helen and guess what? I think she (or someone from Oly) read our Forum. She seems to have some ideas what we talk about here (not sure HWZ or Clubsnap). She also told me that C3040 is out of production and those who are looking for it, keep your finger cross that you won't miss the last shipment.

It take less than half an hour and Mr Goh return with my DC and ask me to do the dead pixel test on the spot to confirm no more hot pixel. And it turn out to be "IT WORK", hooray! I tested on 2s. So, those who have the hot pixel problem can try this new version of firmware/software. (Jayan, you have loaded with this new firmware also right?)

Well, I would like to say "Keep it up Oly, your service is Great". Through out the two visits, I am able to explain my problem and they lend me a listening ears. They get the right people to solve my problem. I don't need to raise my voice or bang table to get attention. The service is really great. And last but not least, thanks Helen, for all the help. ;)

u noe where i can download this software ?

thks.

Originally posted by a7man
u noe where i can download this software ?

thks.

Forgot to ask this qns leh! :embrass:

You know how to load this new version of firmware/software into the DC ah? How do you do it?

:angel:

Originally posted by Kevin

Forgot to ask this qns leh! :embrass:

You know how to load this new version of firmware/software into the DC ah? How do you do it?

nope...thot of asking u :D

I C. I think the software is loaded inside the Camera like a firmware for mobile phone or CD-ROM. Don't think it is possible to DIY. Why don't you bring your DC down to Oly office to let them do it for you. If you warranty is over, better check with them any fees involved (Nokia always upgrade your firmware free until warranty expire then charge you 30/40 for upgrading the firmware). While you are there, can ask qns loh. Mr Goh also told me that the next generation of Oly DC will not use CCD anymore because of the hot pixel problem. They will try to use something call "CMOS" (not sure the spelling) which is used in the Professional range as it is expansive. They are tryign to bring the cost down with new manufacturing technology.

Hi, last week I lamented about the free gift I missed from Oly SGP but I didn't mention how good is their service yet because I want to wait until today to complete my testimony. During my visit last week, I complain about hot pixel appear from 1/2s onward. The tech support head (I think, since he has an assistance) Mr Goh ask me to bring the DC back so that he can load a new software that Oly Japan just release since they have feedback the hot pixel problems to Oly Japan. But, he can't guarantee it work.

So today lunch time dropped by Oly Office to ask for Mr Goh. After I remind him about my hot pixel problem, he gladly do it for me. I also check with him a few qns about C2040. [Volk, if you are here] Mr Goh show me that you can turn the "Reset" (under "Mode Setting"-->"Setup") option from "on" to "off" so that the DC will store you last setting. Don't use the "custom" option as it stop you using the Panorama shot.

While waiting, chat with the Receptionist Helen and guess what? I think she (or someone from Oly) read our Forum. She seems to have some ideas what we talk about here (not sure HWZ or Clubsnap). She also told me that C3040 is out of production and those who are looking for it, keep your finger cross that you won't miss the last shipment.

It take less than half an hour and Mr Goh return with my DC and ask me to do the dead pixel test on the spot to confirm no more hot pixel. And it turn out to be "IT WORK", hooray! I tested on 2s. So, those who have the hot pixel problem can try this new version of firmware/software. (Jayan, you have loaded with this new firmware also right?)

Well, I would like to say "Keep it up Oly, your service is Great". Through out the two visits, I am able to explain my problem and they lend me a listening ears. They get the right people to solve my problem. I don't need to raise my voice or bang table to get attention. The service is really great. And last but not least, thanks Helen, for all the help. ;)

Yup...

When I went to collect my DC, on the job sheet it says upgrade of software, so I guess that they upgraded my firmware.

Is Mr. Goh a middle age gentleman who's wearing glasses???

By the way, it was done within a day...didn't expect it to be so fast!!! :thumbsup:

Used to have several hot pixels at settings as fast as 1/15 sec when warm...but now hot pixels only happen at abt 2 ~3 sec when DC is warm (and at least 8 sec when DC is cool) :D

If anybody from Olympus Singapore is seeing this...just wanna say a big "THANK YOU!!!" and a job well-done.

To further thank them, why not write in? I'm sure they could do with two letters praising their service when they often receive more brickbats than bouquets?

Originally posted by Richard
To further thank them, why not write in? I'm sure they could do with two letters praising their service when they often receive more brickbats than bouquets?
Yah Jayan, shall we write in? Hmmms, is Richard from Oly? I think is a good idea to do so.

Yes, Jayan. Mr Goh is a middle age gentleman who's wearing glasses.

Cheers--

No. I just find it funny that people (I'm not referring to you two) are so quick to call up/write in to complain but yet won't lift a finger to send in/call in a letter of praise sometimes.

Originally posted by Jayan

Yup...

When I went to collect my DC, on the job sheet it says upgrade of software, so I guess that they upgraded my firmware.

Is Mr. Goh a middle age gentleman who's wearing glasses???

By the way, it was done within a day...didn't expect it to be so fast!!! :thumbsup:

Used to have several hot pixels at settings as fast as 1/15 sec when warm...but now hot pixels only happen at abt 2 ~3 sec when DC is warm (and at least 8 sec when DC is cool) :D

If anybody from Olympus Singapore is seeing this...just wanna say a big "THANK YOU!!!" and a job well-done.

Hi Jayan,
Does this mean every 2100UZ will have similar hot pixels problem? or only some units and some might not have it?

Originally posted by LifeWorld

Hi Jayan,
Does this mean every 2100UZ will have similar hot pixels problem? or only some units and some might not have it?

Why? U interested in buying it, is it? Do u feel lucky???:devil:

I think all DC incl. those with NR features has some problem with hot pixels and noise when the exposure time is long enuff.

Originally posted by Klause
Can i upgrade my firmware for c700uz?

If no problem then no need lah...

But if u r thinking abt the hot pixel problem when CCD is warm or noise after 16 sec exposure....then I don't think any form of firmware upgrade can help that.

Originally posted by Klause
Can i upgrade my firmware for c700uz?
Not sure but I should think so. So far I upgraded my C2040 and Jayan is C2100. Why not C700. Call Mr Goh at 1800-6596787 to find out lah!
:rbounce:

Not sure but I should think so. So far I upgraded my C2040 and Jayan is C2100. Why not C700. Call Mr Goh at 1800-6596787 to find out lah!
:rbounce:

Wah lao!!! Oly Sg is gonna be REALLY busy if every users want to have their firmware upgraded.

Wah lao!!! Oly Sg is gonna be REALLY busy if every users want to have their firmware upgraded.
A chance for them to demonstrate their Customer Relationship Management commitment! ;)

Why? U interested in buying it, is it? Do u feel lucky???:devil:

I think all DC incl. those with NR features has some problem with hot pixels and noise when the exposure time is long enuff.

Yes, I actually intend to buy this model. Guess have to try my luck!

Just called mr goh and he agrees to get my firmware upgraded within 1/2 hr

If I am not mistaken, CCD is better than CMOS. CCD is more expensive than CMOS. High end cameras like D1X, 1D...etc. are using CCD. Canon D30 is using CMOS, as they are trying to reduce the price in the camera. Check www.dpreview.com for more info.

high end CMOS could work as well as CCD and they're less prone to heating and hot pixel problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.