Olympus Live Composite Function

Maybe I redo this, on Christmas eve or New years eve, Fireworks would be a mice addition. Not staying at a Hotel just have access to some nice photo spot. Thanks

Some comments I have, the MBS was chopped off rather abruptly. If you are using lightroom, you can correct the perspective distortions under lens correction. The trails works well, u staying in a hotel? Nothing much else to add really :) Not teacher just my 2 cents :)

Have been playing around with live comp since I got the Em10 two weeks ago, really makes my work flow of trails easier. :thumbsup:

To the laser2 by Rexer Ong, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nicely done Rexer, keep it coming, the DA15 is a really nice lens ! :)

Thanks Bhtan83!

Last edited:
Wow, nice work subatoyo! Can you share the settings?

May I know the timing for the laser show each night?

Wow, nice work subatoyo! Can you share the settings?

Sure bro.For this photo,i shot the boat trails and then the laser before layer blended and masked them in Gimp(freeware,similar to photoshop).All shot at f10(approximately as i use adapter with manual aperture control)5second,iso200.Laser about 10min,trails about 3~15min in live comp mode.Altogether total of 6 images blending ,3 for laser and star burst ,three for boat trails.Laser show timing :8pm,9. 30pm daily ,think weekend 11pm also have,last for15min.

Sure bro.For this photo,i shot the boat trails and then the laser before layer blended and masked them in Gimp(freeware,similar to photoshop).All shot at f10(approximately as i use adapter with manual aperture control)5second,iso200.Laser about 10min,trails about 3~15min in live comp mode.Altogether total of 6 images blending ,3 for laser and star burst ,three for boat trails.Laser show timing :8pm,9. 30pm daily ,think weekend 11pm also have,last for15min.

urgh, that's what I'm afraid of, i totally dont know how to do blending and masking. Guess I cannot be lazy and not learn these PS skills.

urgh, that's what I'm afraid of, i totally dont know how to do blending and masking. Guess I cannot be lazy and not learn these PS skills.

:) bro,agreed when i just started.

Last edited:

For cityscape or landscape,to me layer blending is essential because often we cant get the right exposure we want ;no matter how advance modern digital cameras are ,they cannot interpret what human eyes see at the moment.Furthermore, photography has evolved as a form of art, photographer can have more control on what he or she wants to express by shooting raw ,rather than letting the camera do the editing.To say that,the Em10 is a very capable cam which not much editing is needed even in raw format(basic parameters by using lightroom to adjust can enhance the raw image further )unless under tricky lighting condition,it really speeds up post process.Its jpeg is very good too with all the art filters especially portraitures and some landscape under ideal lighting condition.:)

Last edited:
subatoyo - Nice shots! This starburst really looks like the DA15. But it's an oly cam isn't it?

subatoyo - Nice shots! This starburst really looks like the DA15. But it's an oly cam isn't it?

Yes bro,i use a pk to m43 adapter on Em10.I find that the small da15 is very suited to tiny em10 .

Last edited:
Been searching for information regarding Live Time and Live Composite and this is the best forum iv found.

Thanks for pictures, videos and great explanations on this topic.

Best regards

Tore "fo2re Hansen
Norway

ps ! You also got scenaries that kicks ass !

welcome to clubsnap!

Hi guys,

Need your advise if live composite suitable for sunrise shot on mountain area altitude above 3000m. From experience usually the light will change pretty fast.

Need your advise if you are taking sunrise what sec and duration will be better ? Need ND? Which grade will be better ?

I did time lapse for sunrise before but nv for live composite.

Thanks for your sharing in advance

Hi guys,

Need your advise if live composite suitable for sunrise shot on mountain area altitude above 3000m. From experience usually the light will change pretty fast.

Need your advise if you are taking sunrise what sec and duration will be better ? Need ND? Which grade will be better ?

I did time lapse for sunrise before but nv for live composite.

Thanks for your sharing in advance
Not an Oly user but have shot sunrises before. Exposure time will depend on your own preference. If you are not looking for long exposure, you won't need ND. If you're looking at long exposure, depending on what kind of shutter speed you want, you will need different ND. 6 stop is optimal IMO. I only have a 10 stop, and I have to use the widest aperture on my lens (f3.5) to get a reasonable shutter speed at ISO 100 (~15s). For sunrise, since the light is changing so fast, you don't want too long exposures, because it means you'll have less time to try other compositions.