Oly equipment failure...

harper

Mar 13, 2005
lost in translation
just wondering if any of you guys had your oly equipment failed before?

almost all of my oly items have went to OSC after the one year warranty period. :(

if it is just me pushing my equipment too "hard" :dunno: or maybe time to jump ship? :think:

I used to own an E-P2 and I didn't get problems with it. I used it everyday and always had it with me, though I do take care of it in terms of handling (had leather skin + leather case). Sold it and now have an E-P1, and I'm still happy with it. I think Oly gear are quite sturdy.

Note that when searching the net for gear problems, the cries of those who had problems are always the ones that stand out. The ones who don't get problems often don't say anything 'cause they don't have problems. Or probably they're busy outside, taking photos :)

I am using 2nd hand body and lensesprevious owner never had problems so far nor do i *touch wood*

maybe you're just unlucky bro gotten the bad ones... or also how you keep your items and how you use it comes to play... e.g. you using it where there's a sudden changes in temperature or humidity e.g. in winter you have your cam in the heated room then suddely bring out then condensation will happen... or your dry box humidity very low then suddenly in the sea side very windy and humid must pace your electronic items when bring them to those extreme enviroment..

Also these are precision equipment try to ahndle them carefully dont anyhow throw here and there or subject them to sudden g-forces changes or shocks.

I dont think you may have over used your Olys but maybe have subtected them to extremes.

I have my FL-36R spoil recently and there is no spare parts. I need to wait for months to get the parts in.

On the other hand I hardly use it and is still under warranty. So my thinking is for electronic parts, you need to use it from time to time. If you safe keep in the dry box does not mean it is safe. Electronic equipment must run it periodically. My EP-1 I use it monthly I have no problem with it.

just wondering if any of you guys had your oly equipment failed before?

almost all of my oly items have went to OSC after the one year warranty period. :(

if it is just me pushing my equipment too "hard" :dunno: or maybe time to jump ship? :think:

for the DSLRs, the SSWF needs to be replaced when the dust sticker is fully used to keep your SSWF working. the other thing is the shutter when the number of actuations is approaching the rated number.

other than those, it depends on your luck lor

On the other hand I hardly use it and is still under warranty. So my thinking is for electronic parts, you need to use it from time to time.

yup. electronics need to used every now and then, else the transistors, etc then to fail.

No issues here, all my Oly stuff (going back to 2002) still works 100%. Then again, I used the same film SLR for 20 years and never needed a day of service either.

Regarding shutter actuations someone put together a database of the various cameras, and you can look up your camera at:
http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/sitemap.php

There's one E-330 there that's at 125,000...that's more than quadruple it's expected lifespan of 30,000!

I used to own an E-P2 and I didn't get problems with it. I used it everyday and always had it with me, though I do take care of it in terms of handling (had leather skin + leather case). Sold it and now have an E-P1, and I'm still happy with it. I think Oly gear are quite sturdy.

Note that when searching the net for gear problems, the cries of those who had problems are always the ones that stand out. The ones who don't get problems often don't say anything 'cause they don't have problems. Or probably they're busy outside, taking photos :)

yah. that's what i thought too. wondering if any one faces issues too? i've had my e3's shutter unit and the whole lcd panel changed previously on two different occasions. my lens have went in too, all except the kit ones.

yah. that's what i thought too. wondering if any one faces issues too? i've had my e3's shutter unit and the whole lcd panel changed previously on two different occasions. my lens have went in too, all except the kit ones.

my E30 went in for 2 different problems, 1st was chipset problem so that was replaced. 2nd was top panel problem (can't fire flash) so that was replaced too. funny thing was that the engineer told me the E30 is the camera that has the least reported problems at service centres :sweat:

my E30 went in for 2 different problems, 1st was chipset problem so that was replaced. 2nd was top panel problem (can't fire flash) so that was replaced too. funny thing was that the engineer told me the E30 is the camera that has the least reported problems at service centres :sweat:
erm. is your's under warranty when the problem came about?

one thing other than cost of repair is the time required for spare parts to be ordered. think not much spares are kept in store for them and had to be ordered from jap. which is quite a wait esp when we'll need the item urgently.

erm. is your's under warranty when the problem came about?

hahah, yup. most of the problems only surfaced at the 9 - 11mth. now all is fine. my gear goes through some heavy use and wear, so hopefully all the new parts will last me for a long time.

one thing other than cost of repair is the time required for spare parts to be ordered. think not much spares are kept in store for them and had to be ordered from jap. which is quite a wait esp when we'll need the item urgently.

to my knowledge, they only keep parts in store that are shared between models. for the high end models, parts are ordered on ad-hoc basis.

hahah, yup. most of the problems only surfaced at the 9 - 11mth. now all is fine. my gear goes through some heavy use and wear, so hopefully all the new parts will last me for a long time.

to my knowledge, they only keep parts in store that are shared between models. for the high end models, parts are ordered on ad-hoc basis.

Really? I sent my E-3 in not too long ago, repaired my E-3 in 2 days :bsmilie:

Really? I sent my E-3 in not too long ago, repaired my E-3 in 2 days :bsmilie:

if still under warranty can send you cam for cleaning or maintenance check??

if still under warranty can send you cam for cleaning or maintenance check??
Should be can

that's fast... you sent it in for?
Fast cause I requested cause I had an assignment on saturday :bsmilie: and it was busy period, I sent in because my viewfinder has got not display,end up changing the entire prism :cry:

Should be can

Fast cause I requested cause I had an assignment on saturday :bsmilie: and it was busy period, I sent in because my viewfinder has got not display,end up changing the entire prism :cry:

tks follow up questions how often you should have your cam checked? or cleaned?

tks follow up questions how often you should have your cam checked? or cleaned?

Haha,I'm gonna be an idiot by saying, NEVER :bsmilie: I only send it for cleaning when there's something I can't clean myself,hahahah, checked wise, only when I send for servicing ;)

I got E510, E3, E1, E620, EP1 and EPL1 and only my E510 and E3 has gone back before. The E510 for top panel replacement - electronics, and the E3, had a problem with the AF contacts, another electronics problem. Both simple part fixes and everything good as new again.

I may be the odd one out here. My EP-2's shutter button was spoilt exactly 7 days after I purchased it. When the button was half pressed, it AF and fires off at the same time. Sequential mode is even worse, It just keeps on firing until you switch off the camera. I was told that the problem is so rare that I have to wait 2 weeks for the spare part to arrive from Japan.