OLY EP1 (want to ask) pls advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh sorry I thought your 2x converter refers to the crop factor already.

Oh don't worry about that.

Bottom line is, I'm getting this as a fun camera on top of my DSLR, it's definitely a very capable camera base on what I try out so far, and if TS has any doubt on the capability of this camera, I suggest to check out the gallery of pict from this camera.

However, there is some draw back a lot of people should know before buying it as a DSLR replacement:
1. AF is not as fast & as confident

2. Without optical view finder, sometime you're relying a bit on luck to get the frame that you want. But if you compare to P&S, it's definitely not any worse off.

3. No build in flash. A lot of people still can't live with a camera without build in flash. I can. But I did know someone who sold his 5D after 1 week because it doesn't have build in flash...:dunno:

4. Lens are limited for now, and some good lens for m4/3 is very expensive,

5. Some people didn't realise the size can be bigger then they expected when the fit the EP1 with lens other then the pancake lens, and when their wife expect a small P&S size, this ended up 'too bulky'.

If you know these up front, buy it with eye wide open, this is a very capable camera that can match most entry/mid level DSLR in terms of final image it can produce.

Exactly. I have 5D2 for any occassion if possible, and I will have my EP-1 for places where I don't want to bring my 5D2 or worry about damage/lost or don't want to be mistaken for an event photographer, and I will have my F200EXR for a really camera in your pocket situation. The other thing that I'm excited to try out is the image I can take with EP-1 with EF lenses, with an adaptor. Imagine a 500/5.6 with 2x converter, which makes and effective 2000mm effective focal length with the m4/3 sensor.

I got the G1, followed by the EP1 to use my old canon 400F4.5 SSC

as well as a few other gems like the 55F1.2 FL, the bokeh is... :lovegrin:

probably the lightest combi around for an 800F4.5 equivalent ;)

Micro 4/3 to use MD, FD, M mount and m39 screw mount, good enough reason for me :vhappy:

i agree with the other members to say that it's a matter of expectation.

i have 2 dSLRs and bought my EP-1 mainly because of the look (i love retro), but also wanted something with ALMOST dSLR capabilities... And so far, it hasn't let me down yet...

Don't expect it to be as good as a dSLR lah... But it'll still do you good... I just brought it back from a trip to China and it did well for me...

again.... if you're looking for dSLR performance... then get a dSLR.... but if you're okay with a good looking camera with dSLR pictures but WITHOUT dSLR operations... then the EP-1 would be okay...

-dan-

Hey im thinking of bringing in a variety of M43 adapters...

DKL/m39/m42/nikon/EF/FD/leica R/Leica M/Tamron AD2/MD/OM/ OM4/3 / PenF/Konica AR/PK to micro 4/3

apart from the more common ones like Leica , nikon , canon ones would you guys be keen on the other rarer ones?

Hey im thinking of bringing in a variety of M43 adapters...

DKL/m39/m42/nikon/EF/FD/leica R/Leica M/Tamron AD2/MD/OM/ OM4/3 / PenF/Konica AR/PK to micro 4/3

apart from the more common ones like Leica , nikon , canon ones would you guys be keen on the other rarer ones?

i was searching for Rollei QBM mount to m43 a while back. can't find one.

well a double adapt might be possible..

i currently use adaptors from different mounts to 4/3 then the panasonic adaptor from 4/3 to m4/3

I just bought an EF-m4/3 adaptor locally, paid $135 for it, and I also mounted Nikon-EF-m4/3, as well as Leica-EF-m4/3. Save me the hassel of getting multiple adaptor...

Would be good for all if XC Pictorial can bring in some cheap adaptor... I for one would want a M-m4/3 adaptor.

Bought the PEN for my wife.....she has not got to use it yet and she is complaining. I have been hogging it. hahahaa kinda regret telling her its for her. That's how much i like this camera.

Bought the PEN for my wife.....she has not got to use it yet and she is complaining. I have been hogging it. hahahaa kinda regret telling her its for her. That's how much i like this camera.

Haha.. doesnt she knows that "for her" is just an excuse to buy it? :bsmilie:

sold my e-p1 too. main gripe is the auto-focus. hope oly can improve on it in their next version.

Price can only confirm when stocks reach, but will be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than when u can find around SG now ;)

cool.....just wondering...if the adapter is MF...how to change aperture size man?

Use the aperture ring on those cool MF lenses la :bsmilie:

With these lenses, the look is fab man :lovegrin:
My favourite lenses for EP-1 are Voightlanders.

Use the aperture ring on those cool MF lenses la :bsmilie:

With these lenses, the look is fab man :lovegrin:
My favourite lenses for EP-1 are Voightlanders.

Think he meant those newer AF lenses without aperture ring. There's an EOS to 4/3 adapter. Since he's a 40D man, I assume he would like to use his current Canon lenses on his PEN. It means all his lens will be wide open when used with the adapter.

I remember reading that there's a roundabout way to stop the aperture down. Something abt setting the aperture with the lens on it's native body, press the DOF preview button, and remove the lens. In this way the aperture can be stopped down. However, the aperture remains at this number. You'll have to repeat the same sequence if you want to change a diff aperture. IMO, too troublesome for field use.

Status
Not open for further replies.